• Register Today It's free!

4WD conversion

larrymejohnston

Reaction score
City, State
ft worth texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xlt
Hello I'm new to this form and I was just wondering I have a 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0l 2WD V8 with the 4r70w transmission and it has the ford 7.5" rear end with the 3.73 gear ratio limited slip I know that I need to get a transfer case adapter but I was wondering what is a good transfer case and front differential setup I don't want to change the rear differential but I also want low gearing when I'm off roading but still have Highway gears because this is my daily driver and I want the differential and transfer case to be able to bolt directly the Explorer has all the mounting points for the transfer case and differential if you have any answers to help me I would be really grateful thank you and God bless

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will need to find a 4r70w that came from a 4wd explorer, i dont think there is a adaptor for a 2wd trans unless you go divorced transfer case. unless you also want to go for a solid axle swap (sas), you will also need the front diff from a 4wd explorer (either from a v6 or v8 truck, they are the same as long as you get the same ratio axle) as well as spindles and hubs. as for transfer case, if you do a search for 4406 swap there are some threads that people have used (myself included) for a manual 4x4 case. btw, you should have a 8.8 31 spline axle in the rear, and not a 7.5. if you still have the tag on the diff and can read it, you should see the numbers 8.8 stamped on it, as well as 3.73 if you have 3.73 gears in it from factory

So i need a 3.73 front diff and you were right it was a 8.8 I read the diff tag wrong thanks and can i just pull the tail shaft housing off and put a 4x4 housing on the 2WD 4r70w to bolt the case on

SO much easier to sell your Ex and buy a similar one with 4wd...really.

Well this Explorer means a lot to me my parents bought it when I was 14 and gave it to me when I got my license at nineteen and I'm 24 now it is my first vehicle and I don't want to get rid of it and I prefer just doing the work I don't care how much it costs or how hard it is this is something that I want to do people say leave a legacy so people will remember you this will be my legacy to my kids

Converting the 4R70W from RWD to carry a transfer case is a bit more involved than pulling the tailshaft housing.

The housing is easy, it's the output shaft itself that is the challenge. Essentially, you gut the transmission case. The output shaft is just about the last part out of the case, and the 1st back in. On the bright side, you'll have the opportunity to replace all the clutches, steels and wear bits while in there.

Ok i got it replace the 2WD trans for a 4WD trans so what a bout the wireing and/or vacuum lines for the transfer case and hubs can i do a floor mounted selective manual case from like a Ford Ranger with the stock explorer diff how does the Locking hubs work I like mechanical things not electrical things the only other 4x4 that I've ever worked on was a 1971 Ford F250 Highboy and it had manual locking hubs

if you get the same year transmission, the wiring will be the same. if you get a different year, you will have to do some repinning. as for the transfer case, as i mentioned, do a search on 4406 swap, and yes you can use the stock front and rear diff. the write up on a 4406 swap tells you what parts you will need. as for locking front hubs, i think there is a write up on the ranger station for that, otherwise you can use the non locking hubs for the explorer. there are no vacuum lines going to them

Yup, even easier to post nothing.
I didn't really want to learn all about how to convert to a 4406, especially as it's not relevant to me because the V8s weren't sold here.

Yes, I could have gone to that post and possibly trolled through pages and pages of posts to find the answer, I thought it reasonable to ask a learned and trusted poster who wouldn't mind sharing his knowledge.

Yes, it's easier to post nothing. Imagine a forum where everybody posted nothing.

It would be easy.

Omg its a f...king days worth of nuts and bolts in the driveway ! Stop trying to discourage new members,

I didn't really want to learn all about how to convert to a 4406, especially as it's not relevant to me because the V8s weren't sold here.

Yes, I could have gone to that post and possibly trolled through pages and pages of posts to find the answer, I thought it reasonable to ask a learned and trusted poster who wouldn't mind sharing his knowledge.

Yes, it's easier to post nothing. Imagine a forum where everybody posted nothing.

It would be easy.

I posted a link which has a picture to answer your question included in the first post. You do not have to scroll thru pages for the answer. Not to mention there might be someone else come through the thread and actually appreciate the information. Besides that, this isn't even your thread. The OP might have actually appreciated it.

So, to sum it up, I answered your question and added even more information for the OP with a link.

What do you have to offer for v8 2wd to 4wd advice? I am all ears

You will have to hack the rig up a bit for a 4406. Shifter hole, floor pan massage and mod the fuel tank.

Something to consider if the truck is special to you.

Put a case in a $500-$1,500 solid AWD Explorer(craigslist). Or get a cheap 4.0 with 4x4. Or another vehicle with 4x4. No worries damaging your baby then, which WILL happen on trails.

Just some suggestions.

Do you have a mind of your own?

Just as well some people do deign to post something otherwise you'd have nothing to agree to.

I agree.

It really.....wait, what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Flash you are a joke. Do some research,

I would have done the same thing turdle.

Back