Explorer hood vibrates | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer hood vibrates

Hi all, When we hit 80 on the highway and, especially if it's windy, there is a vibration and humming noise from the passenger side at the top of the dashboard. Maybe has to do with windshield wiper. It's still under warranty, wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it's an easy fix?

It's the cowl under the windshield wipers. There is a service bulletin TSB 14-0029 to replace the cowl and fasteners. We had the TSB done on our '15, problem solved.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, When we hit 80 on the highway and, especially if it's windy, there is a vibration and humming noise from the passenger side at the top of the dashboard. Maybe has to do with windshield wiper. It's still under warranty, wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if it's an easy fix?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one. Is this the same issue you posted about before in the 'A' pillar sub forum? My guess would be the cowl as well.
See post 111 above.

Peter

It's the cowl under the windshield wipers. There is a service bulletin TSB 14-0029 to replace the cowl and fasteners. We had the TSB done on our '15, problem solved.
thanks, it was the cowl, they replaced it

My 2016 sport hood vibrated ever since I bought it but now the humming noise has started. Back to the dealership for the fifth time. Issue after issue, seat memory not working 2 times to dealer, fan housing replaced twice, check engine light on. The seat memory is starting to act up again. I am looking at extended warranties now because I am worried about long term issues.

My 2016 sport hood vibrated ever since I bought it but now the humming noise has started. Back to the dealership for the fifth time. Issue after issue, seat memory not working 2 times to dealer, fan housing replaced twice, check engine light on. The seat memory is starting to act up again. I am looking at extended warranties now because I am worried about long term issues.

To temporarily get rid of the humming noise fold the lip of the cowling backwards, about a 1/2 inch, and tuck it under itself and the noise will be gone, plus you will not lose any functionality of the cowling itself.

The medium to long term issues such as the internal water pump, turbos, etc., are topic of their own.

If your hood vibrates with every day driving has it been checked to ensure it hasn't broken away from the supports under the insulating pad? That has happened to a few vehicles.

Peter

Dealer replaced the cowl and it semi fixed the problem. The humming is gone and the hood doesn't shake like it use to. The hood now jumps like the hood latches are open. Ford agreed to paint the hood and the door as they have the bumps under the paint. Really concerned about the future of this vehicle with all the problems i have had to deal with in 8 months and 4000 miles. Ford should offer an extended service plan for us people that have had to put ourselves out to get to the dealership and do without the 50k car we purchased for extended lengths of time.

I have my windshield cowl replaced today TSB 15-0143 performed to fix the car. I can confirm that the TSB and new part fixed the problem. furthermore, the body shop at the dealership should me the new and old parts. The old part is made of a flexible rubber that meets the windshield. The new part is a solid piece of plastic with a small price of rubber at the windshield. Under the rubber is a piece of foam that looks to prevent that vibration from happening so it looks like Ford made some design changes to the cowl.

Knowing this i think anyone could fix the problem themselves by installing a thin piece of foam tape onto the windshield under the cowl rubber.

Just bought a 2016 Platinum, now have 1200 miles on it. I am experiencing hood vibration at speeds over 65 mph. I previously had a 2013 explorer and did not have this issue, so was surprised and disappointed to discover it on my new vehicle. Guess I'll be calling the dealer next week.

I have the same issue with my new 2017 Platinium. Looking for more information on a fix.

Welcome to the Forum Martin and lrwilliamsii.:wave:
The hood on my Platinum doesn't move at all and I've had it up to 125 kmph for a short time. The hood on my 2011 Limited also was fine. The only way I can se that the hood would vibrate at higher speeds is if it wasn't fastened to the cross braces under the engine hood pad. I mentioned that in post 118. Good luck.

Peter

^ Hmm, I have some "wiggle" at highway speeds. I presumed the wind was pushing hard some light aluminum and it was characteristic of the vehicle. No noise, though.

I have the same issue with my new 2017 Platinium. Looking for more information on a fix.

Hi Everyone,I also have 2017 explorer platinum with a hood vibration at highway speeds. Its been to the dealer twice and say since its aluminum its normal. Also the gaps between the headlights and hood/front fenders are greater on one side than the other. The dealer also states there is nothing they can do about the body seams as well.

I believe that there was a TSB for an older explorer model. Something about the support structure glue failed where it attached to the underside of the hood.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks
Scott

2017 explorer platinum

Hi Everyone,I also have 2017 explorer platinum with a hood vibration at highway speeds. Its been to the dealer twice and say since its aluminum its normal. Also the gaps between the headlights and hood/front fenders are greater on one side than the other. The dealer also states there is nothing they can do about the body seams as well.

I believe that there was a TSB for an older explorer model. Something about the support structure glue failed where it attached to the underside of the hood.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks
Scott

2017 explorer platinum
Welcome to the Forum Scott.:wave:
I've noticed mine vibrate a little when driving into the wind on a very windy day. Can't say I've noticed it on the highway.
Check out the picture in the following post and the ones following it to see how the hood is secured to the cross braces.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/front-washer-nozzle.400770/#post-3593093

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Scott.:wave:
I've noticed mine vibrate a little when driving into the wind on a very windy day. Can't say I've noticed it on the highway.
Check out the picture in the following post and the ones following it to see how the hood is secured to the cross braces.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/front-washer-nozzle.400770/#post-3593093

Peter

Thanks Peter for the welcome.

I really didn't want to take the insulation off yet because I did not want the dealer to blame me for tampering with the hood. When you're doing 65mph+ the hood vibrates and the paint catches the sun which shines in your eyes. Its really distracting especially driving at those speeds.

I took off the insulation from the underside of the hood.

Here is a video of the adhesive attach points under my hood. There are multi able sections like this. Does anyone else's hood do this. You can clearly see that the adhesive is no longer attached to the support.

View My Video

View My Video

Is there a TSB for the adhesive attach points for another model year? I've be unable to find it. Anyone have any ideas?

Ford thinks this is normal.

Thanks

Scott

I called one of the Ford reps, 1-800 number that posts on this website for help. They gave me a case number but I have not heard from anyone in a week. I called the ford rep a couple days ago and they tell me to call the dealer. The dealer says they do not schedule these appointment with the factory rep. The dealer will not call me back now.

Anyone have any ideas how this works?

Can I start a new thread to bring attention to my problem. I noticed the moderator merged other peoples threads to this one.

This is really frustrating.

I called one of the Ford reps, 1-800 number that posts on this website for help. They gave me a case number but I have not heard from anyone in a week. I called the ford rep a couple days ago and they tell me to call the dealer. The dealer says they do not schedule these appointment with the factory rep. The dealer will not call me back now.

Anyone have any ideas how this works?

Can I start a new thread to bring attention to my problem. I noticed the moderator merged other peoples threads to this one.

This is really frustrating.
If your situation/issue (vibration) matches this thread then that is where you should post. No sense in starting another thread on the same issue.
The Ford reps that monitor this Forum are 'missing '. The previous group left at the end of January and were supposed to be replaced but there has been no contact with any new reps despite several attempts via text msg and by Private Messages. To my knowledge they never left a 1-800 number for Forum members to call. The reps, when they were here, did not interact with the dealers. They contacted the Regional Customer Service Manager who then dealt with the dealer. For now we are on our own as far as the Reps go.

Peter

To my knowledge they never left a 1-800 number for Forum members to call.
Peter

I used the 800 number that was at the bottom of the signature line from an old post.

FORD SERVICE
p: 800.392.FORD

I called the 800 number again today. The Ford rep explained that the dealer had to call in for the factory engineer/rep she could not do it over the phone. Seems that my dealer was misleading me. Telling me that Ford had to do it. Now my dealer is ignoring my phone calls.

End result for today was take it to another dealer. I'll keep you posted

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, I'm a newby to this site.
I bought my 2016 Explorer Platinum September 2016 and since day one I've noticed that my hood shakes violently at 70 mph +. I've had it back to the dealership 3 times and they can't find a problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Back