• Register Today It's free!

97 5.0 awd gauge swap

tjverras89

Reaction score
City, State
Elko,Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0 awd
I have a 97 awd 5.0 mainly stock. I have read several post on gauge cluster swaps putting a 01 sport tac cluster is a plug and play Yes or no any suggestions i don't want to mess with swapping face plates

Also will 30x9.5 tires fit no problem stock ride height

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

google or searching this forum will answer both those questions and how to do it

Tires will fit for sure

Ya I googled it like 50000 times I am very careful in my modifications they have to be as reliable or more then stock I just did rear cat delete 2 1/2 exhaust pipe with series 40 flow master now I'm adding gauges can't decide witch ones I'd like trans temp to be one oil press and temp I'm really considering swapping out a newer 5.0 motor from a wrecked stang but was with computer and pats on the newer motors kinda sucks btw rear cat delete flow master and bigger pipe my mpg went up I'm running clear 88 octane no ethonal or additives straight gas so much more power also I want to do the 4406 t case swap but I like awd at the same time I live in the high desert it's nice to always be ready for anything

I replaced the gauge faces on my 99 sport with the gauge faces from a 01 sport.
Stock Gauges
!BkTBHZ!BWk~$(KGrHqUH-D0Es-YhG0HyBL(CK!T!0Q~~_1.jpg

Replaced with 01 Sport Gauges.
6Pc1Sxk.jpg

What's easier the faces or swap the whole thing I would not care about the Mile counter I know what my car has I never will sell it

Really you noticed significant mpg and power difference?

I added a tranny temp and voltage gauge, there was a plug on my tranny I removed to install the temp sensor easily on the drivers side. I bought an ultra gauge as well to track of more temps like engine and oil

4406 mod is pretty handy but pretty much the same amount of parts moving so probably no mpg increase

What's easier the faces or swap the whole thing I would not care about the Mile counter I know what my car has I never will sell it
The gauge face swap wasn't too hard. It's probably 6-8 bolts to get to the whole cluster, then you have to disconnect the cluster and take it out. You then have to take the four small bolts holding the glass in. You have to remove the needles (I used a fork, you slide it underneath and pry it out as to not break them). Make sure you note where your needles were at as to prevent them from reading wrong, then you just pry the gauge faces off (They're held on by a glue/epoxy substance) and replace them with the white ones. I sanded off the green color while I was at it, as I changed my cluster lights to blue. Then it's just reassembly and screwing with your speedometer to read right.

Where did you get the white gauge faces?

And is there any real advantage to having the newer gauge cluster over the original?

And is there any real advantage to having the newer gauge cluster over the original?
Pick-n-Pull. Pulled em out of an 01 or 02 sport. They actually didn't charge me for em, they were under a pile of other parts. I just think it's a bit better looking, but besides that I'm pretty sure they're the same cluster.

They're the same cluster.

I'm waiting for one to arrive for my 2000.

I found one on eBay that shows 38000 miles.

I don't care about the miles, I don't plan on trying to pull a fast one.

But low miles should mean it will have everything work.

It was only $50 anyway.

All new LEDs are sitting here just waiting to go in.

I have a black one showing 68000 miles that I was going to use.

My tach started working part time and it seems to be in the cluster.

So it's swap time.

MT

So many things to do with my 97 if win the lottery it's getting a diesel complete build in one of these shops imagine one of those v6 Eco disels from the new Dodge Ram be plenty of power

I think I am gonna order the cluster keep my original one and swap em out

Anyone bore the 302 out was thinking a 347 would be sweeeet

I swapped in the 01 Sport Trac cluster yesterday.

Other than needing to be a contortionist to get the copper colored loop on the trans selector it went very easy.

The 194 canbus LED's work great.

I have pics on my phone and will try to get them posted later.

MT

I just put a couple of pics in the 2nd Gen media gallery.

I during the day and 1 with the LEDs lit up at night.

MT

Hey MAS Tequila , you can buy the
white gauge face on Ebay for $24.00 , I'm thinking on buying them , they go over the old ones tho ! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If u didn't have to take needles off id do that but I think it would be way easy to just swap lol plus you could put the old one back in when u sell it lol jk of course how do h post photos here

Back