Shocks for 1997 4WD eddie bauer

Hacra

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nurmijärvi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Eddie Bauer
Hi, i have a bit of a problem with shocks, i have air ride shocks and i'd like to replace them with normal since around here single shock (air ride) costs around 270€, ouch! where as normal shocks 75€ each.

I was wondering would it be possible to leave air ride shocks to rear, since they're ok. and replace the front ones with normal ones if i tighten the torsion bars from front so the ride height wont collapse much (i hope).

So, if i do this would this leave the compressor running all the time?

Solution: Replaced both sides (front and rear), ordered gabriel load assist coil overs to rear and gabriel normal shocks to front. Rear shocks top bolts were so rusted i had to cut them from both sides.

Ride quality improved a LOT, old shocks were probably 20 years old and also probably completely dead, rear end of the car did not drop as i expected but stayed on level (even with 4 people in the car).

I turned off compressor from rear switch, getting now the message air ride off (or something similar), but i haven't disabled the ARC module yet.

I was going to say, I don't have air ride, but I have the Monroe equivalent Rear shocks, and it actually lifted the vehicle slightly, maybe 1/2inch, it rides a little but rough, but I really enjoy the extra help the give to the leaf springs, especially with me (270lbs), and a full tank of gas on one side.

Back