Engine died on highway

donnbpt

Reaction score
City, State
greenbay wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
2016 XLT V6 about 13,000 miles.
Symptom 1: One week ago lost radio and small screen and backup camera. Came out a few hours later and it all worked.

Symptom 2 and very dangerous: Yesterday in rush hour traffic on I95 at 65 MPH the thing quit - just dies, kaput. Wrench light and check manual illuminates.Very helpful suggestions with a dead car at 65.
Really heavy traffic, somehow I cleared across 3 lanes and made it to the breakdown lane without being killed. Absolutely crazy. No engine response.
Shut it down and restarted - tried to limp home - but 3 to 4 miles later same thing but I was prepared this time.
Onto a flatbed and off to the dealer.
I called in advance and they said they would look at it first thing in the morning.
Well it's late afternoon and SURPRISE the guy I spoke to last night told me they had a skeleton crew in service on Sat so it would have to wait till Monday.
So they must not have known Friday night that Saturdays were understaffed - wake up Mr. dealer the days of BSing customers left the station years ago.
It isn't that I expected instant service but after nearly losing my life - well maybe a bit more honesty and help.

In any case anyone familiar with this problem and potential fix?

Thanks for reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I seem to recall someone else had this happen years ago on this forum, but I don't have the time to search for it right now...

2016 XLT V6 about 13,000 miles.
Symptom 1: One week ago lost radio and small screen and backup camera. Came out a few hours later and it all worked.

Symptom 2 and very dangerous: Yesterday in rush hour traffic on I95 at 65 MPH the thing quit - just dies, kaput. Wrench light and check manual illuminates.Very helpful suggestions with a dead car at 65.
Really heavy traffic, somehow I cleared across 3 lanes and made it to the breakdown lane without being killed. Absolutely crazy. No engine response.
Shut it down and restarted - tried to limp home - but 3 to 4 miles later same thing but I was prepared this time.
Onto a flatbed and off to the dealer.
I called in advance and they said they would look at it first thing in the morning.
Well it's late afternoon and SURPRISE the guy I spoke to last night told me they had a skeleton crew in service on Sat so it would have to wait till Monday.
So they must not have known Friday night that Saturdays were understaffed - wake up Mr. dealer the days of BSing customers left the station years ago.
It isn't that I expected instant service but after nearly losing my life - well maybe a bit more honesty and help.

In any case anyone familiar with this problem and potential fix?

Thanks for reading.
This happened in our 2013. It was the throttle body. Ford is having issues with these. They told me it was not covered under warranty. $315 later I'm back on the road. But if you do some googling you will see lots of other ford models with same issue. Ford is covering them for free with 10 year 150k warranty. I am still fighting with dealer to get it paid for.

Yup throttle body same thing happened to me luckily it was like two minutes before I jumped on 80. Wayne ford had part in stock and had it repaired about an hour after the tow truck dropped it off.

Sounds like the TB as others have stated - please let us know what the dealer says.

Back