Timing Chain Guides? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing Chain Guides?

ACCAT800

Reaction score
I have an 04 4.0 with 172k. After the vehicle sits over night there is a fast knocking noise thats gone within seconds. Sounded like a bad timing chain tension so I replaced the front and rear one but the noise is still there. If the guides were bad wouldnt the knock always be there? Also if the vehicle sits for a few hours the knock is not present. Has to sit overnight to hear it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no oil

It takes a while after engine start for the oil to flow to the hydraulic/spring tensioners. Until there is oil pressure in the tensioners only the spring provides tension. If one of the guides is broken the associated chain may be striking a metal surface. The noise is much louder when the oil has had time to drain from the chains such as overnight. See my helpful threads for a thread on diagnosing timing chain rattle for 2nd Gen.

Ok so I inspected the tensioners and found some slope in the left front one. I removed the timing cover and am now finding the the lower balance shaft chain tensioner is destroyed. My question is how do you remove it? Drop the oil pan?

balance shaft chain tensioner

Unfortunately, the block cradle (upper oil pan) must be removed in order to replace the balance shaft chain tensioner. The mounting bolt heads are below the edge of the cradle.
BlncShft.jpg

Some members have been able to slip off the old tensioner parts and slip on the new ones without removing the mounting base. The chain guide can be replaced without removing the block cradle.

The balance shaft was designed to eliminate vibration at certain engine speeds. Most two wheel drive Explorers do not have the balance shaft engine. Some members have cut the balance shaft chain rather than pull the block cradle to replace the tensioner. Most have reported no problems after disabling the balance shaft. I suggest attempting to replace the tensioner components instead of cutting the balance shaft chain.

Thanks for the response. Does the balance shaft need to be in time with anything or can the chain just be put on in any position?

balance shaft alignment

Thanks for the response. Does the balance shaft need to be in time with anything or can the chain just be put on in any position?

To check the balance shaft alignment:

Find the two adjacent teeth on the the sprocket with dots
Rotate the sprocket until the dimple in the casting to the right (as shown in the photo above) of the sprocket is centered between the two sprocket dots
See if the dot on the lower shaft is to the right (same side as dimple) and aligned with the horizontal surface of the block.

Note: because of the gear ratio between the sprocket and balance shaft it may take up to seven rotations of the balance shaft sprocket for everything to align.

If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send you SOHC V6 engine assembly instructions that contains a diagram showing the alignment.

Any idea how to remove the two balance shaft bolts that hold the tensioner? I used heat already and the heads are starting to get round. Tnx in advance.

I have an 04 4.0 with 172k. After the vehicle sits over night there is a fast knocking noise thats gone within seconds. Sounded like a bad timing chain tension so I replaced the front and rear one but the noise is still there. If the guides were bad wouldnt the knock always be there? Also if the vehicle sits for a few hours the knock is not present. Has to sit overnight to hear it.

Knocking noise? Like tapping? Sounds more like a hydraulic lifter problem than a timing chain problem to me which unless it does not go away can generally be ignored, sometimes it helps to change the oil.

Chain problems would sound more like a constant rains of marbles hitting your garage floor.

Back