Torque converter bad or ???

Napu(StrongWave)

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Marrero,La
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac Gen 1
I need help with a problem on my 01 Sport Trac v6 4.0L 2wd. The problems I'm having are:

1. Sometimes more than other times I have to turn the ignition key into on position put my foot on the brake then move back and forth through the gears and put it back into Park. Then the truck will start.
2. On level ground everytime I put the truck into park and turn the truck off it still moves and I don't mean 1 inch.
3. There are times it feels like the transmission wants to go up a gear higher while stopping at a red light or such and I have to hold the brakes down then it goes away. This only happens for a very short time,say 1-2 seconds.
4. Okay so this last issue is kinda hard to explain. The noise is coming from around the bell housing and it only happens every once in awhile. The best way I can tell you how it sounds is if you were to take a small piece of paper or plastic hold it up to you lips and blow. Not high pitched and not as fast of a soundlower and slower and it's not loud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For most of the problems you report it sounds like either your shifter bolts are lose, or your shift cable is out of adjustment. This would prevent your transmission from going fully into PARK . This would allow the truck to roll when you think you've put in in PARK and also make the neutral safety switch think the transmission is not in PARK or NEUTRAL for starting. IDK about the noise you're hearing and I don't understand what you're saying about stopping at a light. When you stop the transmission will always start off in 1st gear, unless in fact you're not really in DRIVE. In either case I don't see why this would cause you to need to step on the brake pedal any harder than usual. What RPM does your engine idle at? It should be around 500-550 RPM.

For most of the problems you report it sounds like either your shifter bolts are lose, or your shift cable is out of adjustment. This would prevent your transmission from going fully into PARK . This would allow the truck to roll when you think you've put in in PARK and also make the neutral safety switch think the transmission is not in PARK or NEUTRAL for starting. IDK about the noise you're hearing and I don't understand what you're saying about stopping at a light. When you stop the transmission will always start off in 1st gear, unless in fact you're not really in DRIVE. In either case I don't see why this would cause you to need to step on the brake pedal any harder than usual. What RPM does your engine idle at? It should be around 500-550 RPM.
When I first start the truck in the morning it usually is over 1100 after about 1 minute or longer it goes down to about 500

When I first start the truck in the morning it usually is over 1100 after about 1 minute or longer it goes down to about 500
I tried to tighten the shifter bolts , but they were already tight. I also adjusted the knob on the cable.

Back