HELP! New TPMS training on 2016 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! New TPMS training on 2016 Explorer

PhilosSophos

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi.
I've a 2016 Explorer and I'm in S.Korea now. (so please be generous my poor english.)

A month ago, I installed new TPMS(TPMS-36) on new wheels.
(I bought Motocraft 433mHz Sensors from rockauto.com and These are the same frequency as original TPM sensors)

and I bought a TPMS tool (TPMS-19) to train the sensors.

But the new sensors won't train. Old sensors(factory equipped) are trained well. I've tested.

I don't know why the new sensors are not trained.

I think there are two possiblities.
1> All of the new sensors are faulty. (but very rare.)
2> New sensors should be activated before install. (but how to..?)

Please help me. What should I do to train the new sensors..?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi.
I've a 2016 Explorer and I'm in S.Korea now. (so please be generous my poor english.)

(I bought Motocraft 433mHz Sensors from rockauto.com and These are the same frequency as original TPM sensors)

But the new sensors won't train. Old sensors(factory equipped) are trained well. I've tested.

Thank you.

Have you driven around yet to see if the EX will learn the new sensors on it's own?

Hi.

Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Are you sure the sensors are the correct frequency? Both my previous Explorer and my current MKT have sensors that are 315 MHZ. You can check that by going to https://www.etis.ford.com/ and select 'Vehicle' and entering your VIN. That will bring up a long list of almost everything you vehicle has. Look for the item Frequency - xxxx
Also, there have been several posts here from members saying that the system will train itself after driving for a period of time. No tool was required.
Good luck.

Peter

Looking around quick, the 2016 uses 315 MHz sensors.

If it is an export model it likely is 433mhz. The question is are you putting it in training mode? I have to double check but I know with my 16 I had to have IDS put it in train mode. I'll do some checking to see if there is a user method to put it in training mode.

Programming

NOTE: Enter Training Mode Without Scan Tool

1. NOTE: The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN Left Front (LF) TIRE.

With the ignition OFF, press and release the brake pedal.
  1. Using the start/stop switch, position the ignition from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
  1. Press and release the brake pedal.
  1. Position the ignition to OFF position.
  1. Using the start/stop switch, position the ignition from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
Programming

NOTE: TPMS Sensor Training Procedure

1. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the special tool must remain in place at the valve stem.

Place the special tool on the Left Front (LF) tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the BCM.
    Use Special Service Tool: 204-D081 TPM Activation Tool.
  1. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the special tool on the Right Front (RF) tire sidewall at the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the Right Front (RF) tire pressure sensor.
  1. Repeat Step 1 for the Right Rear (RR) and Left Rear (LR) tires. The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by positioning the ignition to OFF without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the ignition is positioned to OFF, the training procedure was not successful.
  1. Using the scan tool, locate the updated TPMS sensor identifiers trained to the BCM and document them on the applicable warranty claim.
  1. This step is required to clear DTC B1182:55, cause the BCM to exit the manufacturing mode and to make sure there are no other concerns with a newly programmed BCM.
  1. If the sensors are being trained due to the installation of a new BCM, clear any DTC and carry out the BCM On-Demand Self Test.

I had to drive around a while to "wake up" one of my sensors before it would program.

I had to drive around a while to "wake up" one of my sensors before it would program.
So it appears that you can activate and program the TPMS just by driving?

This all sounds quite confusing. I will be in the market for a set of snow/ice tires on rims. I got a quote at the dealer and asked about switching wheels, and it won't automatically recognize them, but it said if you let some of the air out after installing them, it is apparently able to better recognize a change.

That doesn't make sense to me at all, but that's what he said. Going through places like Tire-rack, they sell programming tools. Just wondering if I will need it or not.

The reason this matters to me is because I do all my own tire rotations and winter switching each season, and have the gear to do it. But I haven't had to deal with TPMS switching before. Some cars have enough memory to hold data for two sets of tires, but I don't think the Explorer is one of them.

This all sounds quite confusing. I will be in the market for a set of snow/ice tires on rims. I got a quote at the dealer and asked about switching wheels, and it won't automatically recognize them, but it said if you let some of the air out after installing them, it is apparently able to better recognize a change.

That doesn't make sense to me at all, but that's what he said. Going through places like Tire-rack, they sell programming tools. Just wondering if I will need it or not.

The reason this matters to me is because I do all my own tire rotations and winter switching each season, and have the gear to do it. But I haven't had to deal with TPMS switching before. Some cars have enough memory to hold data for two sets of tires, but I don't think the Explorer is one of them.
The tool seems to be something you don't require based on several posts in this forum. Just drive. Have no experience with it myself as the reprogramming is done by the dealer each time the Winters and OEM's are swapped. The Explorer does not hold more than a set of tires. I gave up changing them myself a few years ago and don't regret it one bit. No need to get a torque wrench or find room in the garage. The dealer stores them ($35 I think) and I schedule the October oil change for the end of that month and get the tires swapped at the same time.

Peter

I'm grateful to all of the members who reply my question.
That's very kind of you.

Please let me categorized the answers to 3 groups.

(1) About frequency of TPMS

1. Thank you, peterk9.

I have never known that there is etis.ford.com. I think this site is very useful to confirm my car's frequency of TPMS. But VIN search page is malfunction. so I can't check it.

2. Thank you other members who comment frequency.

I confirmed the TPMS frequency of My 2016 Explorer on VIN decorder site. (VIN : 1FM5K8FH7GGA92247)
and I watched the frequency of my car's factory-equipped sensor when I replacement wheels. 433MHz is right.

(2) To drive some miles to wake-up TPMS Sensor.

Of course I did. but the new sensor won't be trained.

(3) Am I in training mode correctly?

Yes, The way to enter TPMS training mode of 2016 Explorer is to repeat turn on and off hazard flash three cycles.
In addition, I trained original sensors well. (Test method : A set of new TPMS sensors are equipped new wheels. Original sensors are equipped original wheels in my garage. I've moved a original wheel to near my car from the garage. Next, I got into training mode. Using TPMS-19 (=TPMS training tool) I trained a original sensor well.

I'm very confused. Why they won't be trained?

I still need help. Thank you and Thank you.

So it appears that you can activate and program the TPMS just by driving?

No. I still had to use the TPMS-19 tool, but the tool wouldn't work on one of my summer tires until I drove around for a while.

Sounds to me like there is some confusion with putting the truck into "train". The correct procedure for the 2016 Explorer was posted by jmr061 and requires the key cycles. the horn will sound and the instrument panel will tell you the BCM is in a train mode and instruct you to train the first tire with the TPMS 19. For what its worth I went through issues getting my summer wheels trained. For me it was indeed a frequency issue. The wheels i purchased (from a 2015 sport) had TPMS12s and the truck required TPMS35's. Good luck getting your sensors trained.

As mentioned, there are several posts from members who just drove with the TPMS and it self trained. No tool was required.

Peter

I'm not going to definitively say that those people are wrong however I don't believe that to be possible. Some vehicles I have seen learn simply by putting the sensor in a driving a certain distance. But I don't believe the Ex to be one of them.
Here's a quick story why I think some of those post might exist. When I first got my 20"s I threw them on the truck and went for a drive. No issues, Tire pressures displaying in the console etc. I drove it to and from work for several weeks with no issues. The first time I took it for a drive of a considerable distance I got a TPM Fault and all 4 corner's read "--psi". I went home parked the car for the night, When I started the truck in the morning to go to work the TPM fault was gone and the computer was reading the tire pressure. Long story short it was reading the sensors from my factory wheels that I had stacked in my garage in front of the truck.
Finally the fact that in the training program it requires you to train the wheels in a specific order leads me to believe that they are linked to the spot on the truck. So for example if i were to go out and air down my left rear I would get a fault for LR tire low, but if I were to do that and rotate the tires, the BCM would still show me LR tire low(regardless of the tires new position on the truck).
-NOTE- When I told the dealer that it would not fault for a considerable distance traveled and didn't seem to be the amount of time away from the stock wheels (12 hour shifts, multiple start-shutdowns) they said "that's odd, it should fault immediately or very soon thereafter.

I'm not going to definitively say that those people are wrong however I don't believe that to be possible. Some vehicles I have seen learn simply by putting the sensor in a driving a certain distance. But I don't believe the Ex to be one of them.
Here's a quick story why I think some of those post might exist. When I first got my 20"s I threw them on the truck and went for a drive. No issues, Tire pressures displaying in the console etc. I drove it to and from work for several weeks with no issues. The first time I took it for a drive of a considerable distance I got a TPM Fault and all 4 corner's read "--psi". I went home parked the car for the night, When I started the truck in the morning to go to work the TPM fault was gone and the computer was reading the tire pressure. Long story short it was reading the sensors from my factory wheels that I had stacked in my garage in front of the truck.
Finally the fact that in the training program it requires you to train the wheels in a specific order leads me to believe that they are linked to the spot on the truck. So for example if i were to go out and air down my left rear I would get a fault for LR tire low, but if I were to do that and rotate the tires, the BCM would still show me LR tire low(regardless of the tires new position on the truck).
-NOTE- When I told the dealer that it would not fault for a considerable distance traveled and didn't seem to be the amount of time away from the stock wheels (12 hour shifts, multiple start-shutdowns) they said "that's odd, it should fault immediately or very soon thereafter.
Those posts all referred to pre 2016 models that did not have individual tire psi readouts. I am also quite sure they were not parked near another set of tires since that has been discussed before. Just driving seemed to turn off the warning light.

Very possible Peter, I'm sure the info in this post will help the OP get his sensors properly trained. Seeing as he has a '16 and I have first hand experience with the TPMS system in this model year, I would still recommend utilizing the TPMS19 tool and the programming steps outlined above by jmr061 to remedy the issue.
  • Stop the vehicle in a safe place and turn the engine switch off and engage the parking brake.
  • Press and release the brake pedal.
  • Turn the ignition from OFF to ON position three (3) times ending in the on position without starting the engine.
    • If your car has Smart key button, press once to turn on, then press again to put vehicle into ACC mode, then press again to turn vehicle off. Repeat 2 more times, ending in ACC mode.
  • Press the brake pedal again for 2 seconds, then release.
  • Turn the ignition to OFF position (DO NOT remove the key)
  • Turn the ignition from OFF to ON position three (3) times ending in the on position without starting the engine.
  • If the reset mode has been entered successfully, the horn will sound once.
  • Starting from the driver’s side front tire, place the relearn tool against the tire sidewall, near the valve stem. Then press the button to activate the TPMS sensor.
  • Repeat the procedure on the right-front tire, the right rear tire, and the last one left rear tire.
  • A horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
  • After hearing the confirming horn chirp for the left rear tire, training is completed and and a message is shown in the information display.Turn ignition to OFF position. Adjust all tires to pressure listed on tire placard.

This video while it shows a mustang is the EXACT relearn procedure I used on my 2016 Explorer.

It may well be different with the 2016+ models since it matters where the tires are located, unlike previous years. Didn't occur to me before.

Peter

Dealer rotates the tires as part of the oil change service and I'm quite certain they're not reprogramming the tires each time to the correct corner.
I'm also under the impression that they are self learning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealer rotates the tires as part of the oil change service and I'm quite certain they're not reprogramming the tires each time to the correct corner.
I'm also under the impression that they are self learning.
It's important to note that not all models are the same, not even each model year. As previous identified up until 16' the explorer TPMS system did not read individual tire pressures. This will be the last time I say that I physically just dealt with a similar issue. It's not an assumption or impression. The dealer could very likely be doing it, it takes all of a minute and no-one would be the wiser sitting in the waiting area.
If it wasn't a waste of my time Id go throw my winter wheels on to show you that they are not automatically recognized. (on this particular model and year)

Back