• Register Today It's free!

Backup camera

Transeto

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 ford explorer xlt
Hi there I just bought this ford explorer xlt 2012 three weeks ago and I got problem with my backup camera is not show up in the screen. When I but on reverse is show on the screen note. ( your camera is unavailable please contact your dealership) so I don't know what should be do. Please can you guys help me.
With my best regards
Ninus yousif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there I just bought this ford explorer xlt 2012 three weeks ago and I got problem with my backup camera is not show up in the screen. When I but on reverse is show on the screen note. ( your camera is unavailable please contact your dealership) so I don't know what should be do. Please can you guys help me.
With my best regards
Ninus yousif

Did this work when you bought the Ex? Did you get a warranty on it (ie: Carmax 30 day warranty, or a dealership warranty)? Also is it a factory installation or an aftermarket?
If you have no warranty, first thing I would check is power to the camera and to possibly check AV connection to the camera and to the screen.

Yes It was work and I have warranty but they says is not cover the backup camera and is factory installation I don't know what can I do

Again, my first course of action would be to check fuses to be sure none have blown in the fuse compartment.
Second would be to ensure you are getting 12V to the camera, via accessing the wiring to the camera and using a Multimeter on the power and ground wires.
Since you are getting a text message on the screen that its not working, you obviously are getting 12V to the screen, but you shlould check the AV connectors at the screen and the camera to ensure they are not corroded and connected properly.
If all connections are correct then you may need a new camera for it.

Yes It was work and I have warranty but they says is not cover the backup camera and is factory installation I don't know what can I do

I'm happy to look into your concern further, Transeto. What's the odometer reading of your 2012 Explorer? Please pass it on, and I'll see which resources are available.

Kwasi

Must say I am impressed that Ford is on forum and looking into issues they see here. Hopefully they can get better intel on what to look for.

Must say I am impressed that Ford is on forum and looking into issues they see here...

Thank you for you loyalty to Ford, modit. We really value your business. Have a great day.

Kwasi

I have this same problem. Mine worked until about 6 months ago. The warning signals still work. I've pulled/replaced fuse 29 & fuse 34, and I've installed the MFT software update, but I still get the message to contact my dealer. I have a 2012 Explorer, I bought it used in the fall of 2013, and it has 115,000 miles on it. Anyone have any suggestions? Modit, where are the AV and power connections?

ExcaliberLand..... I am unable to help with that info as all my Ford products are Pre DVD, I have a '01 Mountaineer and an 89 Bronco.
Best guess would be to pull the radio out of the dash to see the wiring from the backside. I am hoping yours is not one of the custom units that I am seeing on alot of new model cars, and is a standard 1 or 2 DIN setup. If it is the DIN setup, usually you just need the 2 prong Ford Radio pullers to put in either side and click into place for pulling the radio. This is a very simple system that works extremely well, and hopefully has not been engineered out of your year of Ford.
The AV connectors would look similar to the 3 AV connectors that work the Right, Left and Video on your TV at home. If these are connected, then you are probably in good shape there. As for power, that may come from the radio or possibly a direct connection closer to the unit, that I cannot tell.
If it is a Mirror veiwscreen, then you would possibly need to pull the headliner down near the mirror and find the wires there. Same thing applies, look for the AV connection that looks like a larger plug, if it is connected you have verified there.

You may have a cut wire somewhere also, so finding both ends of the Video cable (camera and viewfinder) and verifying continuity with a test light would be a good idea.

Bought our 2013 Limited new in April, 2012 and the OEM backup camera just started doing the same thing with the "contact dealer" message. 55,000 miles on ours. Any known solutions yet?

Welcome.

Back