3rd Row Dome / Cargo Light Stays On | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd Row Dome / Cargo Light Stays On

I took it to be 2013 models

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone had this issue fixed? I have the same problem and would like to get it solved. Thanks.

You need to start the engine then press the 3rd row dome light button to turn it off. Maybe also aux power but I did not try

Has anyone had this issue fixed? I have the same problem and would like to get it solved. Thanks.

Thank you Sterling Gold, worked the first time! Turned car on, turned light off, a beautiful thing!

My explorer has the same problem. The 3rd seat dome light will sometimes turn off when you start the explorer. Must of the time it will stay on but dim. I have notice that after the explorer is turn off for 10 minutes it does go out with the battery saver feature. I bought it used in July and have not had time to take to dealer for repair.

You need to start the engine then press the 3rd row dome light button to turn it off. Maybe also aux power but I did not try
I love seeing helping posts like this, sterlinggold; thanks!

Thank you Sterling Gold, worked the first time! Turned car on, turned light off, a beautiful thing!
gwecht,

I’m really glad you got it figured out. :thumbsup:

My explorer has the same problem. The 3rd seat dome light will sometimes turn off when you start the explorer. Must of the time it will stay on but dim. I have notice that after the explorer is turn off for 10 minutes it does go out with the battery saver feature. I bought it used in July and have not had time to take to dealer for repair.
Are you sure you don’t have little gremlins in your Explorer messing with the lights, JNT1547? LOL JK ;)

In all seriousness, did you try what sterlinggold mentioned? Be sure to consider the following from page 81 of the 2011MY Explorer Owner Guide 4th Printing:

“Third row cargo lamp
The dome lamp lights when:
• any door is opened.
• the instrument panel dimmer button is pressed until the courtesy lamp comes on.
• any of the remote entry controls are pressed and the ignition is off.
The courtesy lamp can also be turned on and off manually by pressing the control switch.
Battery saver
The battery saver will shut off the exterior lamps and interior lamps, except the hazard warning lamps if activated, 10 minutes after the ignition control has been turned off. The system will not turn off the parking lamps if they are on.”

You can get a free digital copy of the Owner Guide here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

If you’re still having light troubles, I suggest visiting your dealer when you get a chance. They’ll shed some light on the situation. :D

Cory

Rear Cargo Light Issues

My rear cargo/ 3rd row light seems to have a mind of it's own. It's on almost all the time, but sometimes it stays off for a while then flickers to life, but that's rare bc it's usually always on. It's super annoying. Is there any way to fix it?

My rear cargo/ 3rd row light seems to have a mind of it's own. It's on almost all the time, but sometimes it stays off for a while then flickers to life, but that's rare bc it's usually always on. It's super annoying. Is there any way to fix it?

That happens to me a lot too when I turn it on with the global turn on button on the front. I found that if I have to press that button on and off multiple times to get that light to turn off.

Mine won't turn on and off with the button at all. I can turn it on sometimes but I can't turn it off (up front or at the light).

Your thread has been merged with this existing one.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I read through that whole post and mine seems to be a different problem. I did try all of the suggestions listed in the post.

I had this problem a while back. Seems I read somewhere to get n back seat and have someone start engine and when all other lights go out then push switch on the light and it will go out and only come back n when it is supposed to.

I've done that and it worked for that drive and then stayed on the trip (or chooses when it wants to turn off).

Has anyone had any luck with this? I thought about taking the bulb out all together

Hey everone. New member here so be gentile. 2013 Explorer cargo dome light stays on. Any suggestions

I cant get my third row light to turn off. It turns off 10 minutes after the car is turned off and locked but stays on otherwise. I have pressed all the buttons - any ideas??

I cant get my third row light to turn off. It turns off 10 minutes after the car is turned off and locked but stays on otherwise. I have pressed all the buttons - any ideas??
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I've merged your thread with this one found using the 'Search' feature. I haven't really looked at mine yet to see if it has buttons. I recall seeing it down by the 3rd row power fold buttons but my 2011 had a roof mounted one.

Peter

try holding the main light button upfront for several seconds, usually works for me. Mine has "dark mode" enabled and it still stays on if I don't hold the button . Its seems to be a digitially controlled light.

I can't get mine to turn off.

Needed some extra light in the rear storage area this morning. Dome light NOT on. I press button, and the light turns on. Good. Then, when done, I close the tailgate, and the light stays on. Not good. I press the button again (and a few more times) and the light stays on, won't turn off.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
Same issue for months. Googled this. It worked. U must start engine, go to back seat and shut door, click button on light, get out shut off vehicle, then it goes off. Stupidest thing ever. Almost as stupid as it's horn bs when not on and u attempt to use it. Beep beep. Smh detroit!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same issue for months. Googled this. It worked. U must start engine, go to back seat and shut door, click button on light, get out shut off vehicle, then it goes off. Stupidest thing ever. Almost as stupid as it's horn bs when not on and u attempt to use it. Beep beep. Smh detroit!!!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm not sure what you mean about the horn. Are you referring to the double horn beep when you exit the vehicle with it running and you close the door? I just don't fully close the door if I have to just 'hop out' for a few seconds and no beeps. It can also be disabled with Forscan as a few members have done.
I'm going to have to try that 3rd row light thing to check mine.

Also, please complete your registration by adding the requested/required "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) of the Explorer so it shows in the margin. That is very useful info to have at times. Thank you.

Peter

Back