Onboard air compressor question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Onboard air compressor question

G

geoph1986

I'm now ready to put in an OBA system. I've read that many people have run the stock A/C compressor (R134-A, relies on refrigerant to oil) with tool oilers, and that some have used the york 210 (R-12 w/ internal oil sump). I've also read that many people who have used the stock A/C compressor have had problems with keeping them oiled and they die quickly. So I've been thinking of finding an old York compressor for the OBA set up. I can find lots of info, with pictures, of using the stock A/C compressor, but the only info I can find on using York compressors is for jeeps. Now the ?'s.

Does anyone know of a write up with pictures for the Explorer or Ranger using the York compressor? Or even a diagram of the modified mounts?

and, for those who have used the stock compressor:

What lubricant are you using to keep it oiled? How is the stock compressor working for you? Reliability, max run time, other things?

Thanks in advance, and I think this will be a good mod for winter use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran Yorks for years as my shop air on a home-built compressor. They work great. I just used an air tool oiler on the intake line and misted it with oil, then later used a filter/separator to remove the oil from the air once pumped. Sort of cumbersome, but it did the trick and I pumped a LOT of air. In fact, I used a double York set up on top of a big LP tank to run all sorts of air tools.

As far as the brackets go, just get a pump and start figuring out what you have to cut or modify. That's the fun of fabrication. Make brackets and plates out of cardboard first, then transfer to steel and go to work.

If you are looking for a York, there is just a little over a day left on this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YORK...1655554QQsspagenameZRSSQ3aBQ3aSRCHQ3aUSQ3a101

...In the meantime, I snagged a couple links from there for future readers..;)

Build your own On-Board Air System for your 4x4 or other off road vehicle.

See these links below they may help you with ideas for building a 4x4 On-Board Air system OBA.

On Board Air schematic: http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/oba-scem.htm

Mounting Possibilities: http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_mounting.html

Fittings and Electrical Connection ideas: http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/york_fittings.html

Ready made mounting brackets and OBA parts: www.kilbyenterprises.com/kits.htm

I know this is extremely old thread but the mount is the hardest part. I've got a 210 I'm working on mounting to my 1993, actually taking a lunch break right now from mounting it.

FYI I deleted my A/C a few days ago so that's where it's going if anyone is interested in a writeup

Post pictures or its not happening :)..:popcorn:

Lol. It's a pain in the a$$ not being able to post directly to the forum. I'll have to see if I can drum up my old photobucket account.

My 210 is going to be on its side to clear the hood better (but I have a 3" body lift so that helps). The mount on top if the power steering sits at ~16.7° I am going to have about a 1-3° incline on the York so help keep oil in it (but I'm not to worried about oil in the discharge side cause the system is getting an oil separator that is going where the evaporator was (going to be installing the non AC housing from an early ranger during this install) pick n pull is a good 45 min from here so I havent made it there yet.

The 16° decline on the power steering mount And the 1-2° on the York side will also clear the power steering cap.

Also idk if anyone knows of another site but since July was bought out the new site sucks big time.

Dropbox is great, Imgur is good too. Both are free and easy to use.

On topic, I've been wanting to offer this for a while but I've got a stock AC compressor that doesn't bind and is pretty clean. If someone wants to setup on board air with it, shoot me a message.

Site wasn't bought out just a software change. It takes a bit to get use to.

I have had a York mounted on my truck for a while now. It has been a great mod. I am glad I have had it. Here is my write up. If interested I can cut more brackets if people are interested.

18529485398_12f40c432d_c.jpg
20150611_133721 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ompressor-to-the-4-0-ohv.420110/#post-3427245

I saw your write-up and it's a good one. That pretty much where mine is going, but I am going to use the factory tensioner.

I have a 3" body lift so cutting the hood and power steering Cap (iirc that's what you did, I may be mixed up with another thread)

RockRanger, what angle do you have between the power steering bracket and the York? Trying to double check my work before I start cutting

That is mine. Having a body lift should make it easier. I still use the factory tensioner. The one pulley allows the belt to clear the air intake. The second one is debatable if it is really needed. I added it so I could get a bit more wrap on the power steering pulley. It probably would be fine with out it but it wasn't hard to add it. Mine also is setup so if I ever have problems with my york I can install a non a/c belt without unbolting anything and bypass it.

Now I am working on installing a saginaw pump on my truck. The york is in the way for it. Have to go to the junkyard tomorrow to see what I can round up to make it work.

If you have a body lift I would run as much angle as you can that still clears the hood. I had to notch some of the under bracing in my hood to allow it to clear. My pulley clears my hood by roughly 3/16" You could probably stand it up another 20 degrees over what I did.

I was going to run it level (on its side). I'm looking at about 23 degrees to get the York level. And I'm going to use the extra space to bring the entire compressor further up away from the power steering reservoir to clear the cap and be able to reach the mounting bolts

The more and more I look at your mount the more I like it, in case I get fed up with my mount what do you want for one of yours rockranger?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will sell you all the cut plates unwelded for $40 shipped. You would have to source all hardware and other parts yourself.

Back