• Register Today It's free!

Dog Barrier for Trunk

aggie76

Reaction score
City, State
Warroad, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hi everyone. Got our Limited a couple months ago and have it into the dealer right now to fix the A-frame wind noise.

The Ex is my spouses and she and our Lab are traveling buddies everywhere around town. We've got 2nd row buckets so we have decided to have dog travel in the rear, with folded 3rd buckets, and want to put some barrier in place so that the Lab stays in the back.

I've been searching for something that doesn't hinder visibility, is strong enough to hold our Lab and that can be easily removed if we need the 3rd row seating.

The one that has caught my eye is the Euro Barrie Aire 6-bar version. Wondering if anyone has any experience with this barrier, or with another that you would recommend for the purpose that I mentioned.

Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Aggie,

Same boat, different "spouse", three dogs! :D -- Let me know if you end up getting the barrier (which looks great) and how it works. I would definitely get one if you happen to like yours.

What solutions have people come up with for separating the 2nd row of seating from the trunk area, i.e. keeping a dog away from the front half of the vehicle...

Has anyone found a Ford accessory or aftermarket "dog barrier" that works well in their Explorer? We have a dog that travels with us from time to time, but her spot will soon be replaced by a baby/car seat. I'm not sure where to begin looking for a quality barrier to put in the Ex...

Thanks!

We've been wondering about this also. Our plan was to get a seat cover and an official doggy seat belt.

I use one of these in my wife's Honda Pilot. It works great. Have not tried it in my Explorer yet. I have the moonroof so I'm not sure this would work as I think the feet that mount against the ceiling are too narrow and would hit against the glass/fabric cover. I just use the Pilot to carry the dog now - keep hair out of the explorer.

http://www.pettravelcenter.com/products/detail/161/24

I just put my dog on a leash that I attach to the tie-down. Now if I could do something about all of the dog hair.

Yes the dog hair. Drives me nuts. We throw a sheet in there. Helps some and he likes to lay on it.

Yes, I'd be interested in this too. I have 2 dogs. They're pretty good with staying in the back, but every once in awhile will decide to climb over the back seat. I have the Husky liner in the rear, so that helps with the mess, but their hair/fur? does fly all over.

Volvo has a gate-type barrier for their suv, that fits perfectly (with no extra drilling or marring of the car) and matches the interior as well. I really wish Ford would come out with something similar. I feel that they are somewhat lacking in the accessories department.

So, we have two VERY active dogs in the 65-75lbs range... which apparently must go everywhere with us... Looking at two possible solutions; either seat covers to protect the leather middle buckets or a pet barrier to use (with rear seats folded down) to keep them in the back. If we go with seat covers, I'll still need some type of barrier to keep them out of the front- yes its that difficult.

Has anybody used any particular model of pet barrier in their Explorer? What about reasonable and effective seat covers for the rear (this would be good as they could protect from car seat damage as well)?

So, we have two VERY active dogs in the 65-75lbs range... which apparently must go everywhere with us... Looking at two possible solutions; either seat covers to protect the leather middle buckets or a pet barrier to use (with rear seats folded down) to keep them in the back. If we go with seat covers, I'll still need some type of barrier to keep them out of the front- yes its that difficult.

Has anybody used any particular model of pet barrier in their Explorer? What about reasonable and effective seat covers for the rear (this would be good as they could protect from car seat damage as well)?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I've merged your thread with this one I found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right corner). There are also threads on liners of different types. There isn't too much that hasn't been discussed in the 7 years this Explorer has been out.

Peter

Back