How to remove roof rack rails on 2017? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove roof rack rails on 2017?

raysocal

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer
I just picked up my 2017 Explorer in White Gold. Does anyone know how to remove the roof rails or at least loosen them? I am thinking about vinyl wrapping the roof and C pillars in gloss black and the plastic base of the rack does not lift allowing me to tuck the vinyl under it, so I need to loosen the rails? Thanks for any help, pics and remove roof rack for dummies instructions are appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just picked up my 2017 Explorer in White Gold. Does anyone know how to remove the roof rails or at least loosen them? I am thinking about vinyl wrapping the roof and C pillars in gloss black and the plastic base of the rack does not lift allowing me to tuck the vinyl under it, so I need to loosen the rails? Thanks for any help, pics and remove roof rack for dummies instructions are appreciated!

if your going to the trouble of loosening them and putting vinyl over the top, why not just remove them permanently? they only hold 45 lbs max weight (moonroof limit).

white gold with black gross will look great, post pics when done

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Would love to see a picture of your Explorer. White Gold is what I'm thinking of getting for my next one.
Also, please add the 'trim' level (Base,XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Makes it easier to address some future posts. Thanks.

Peter

Raysocal welcome to the forum.
If you do end up deciding to remove them opposed to tucking vinyl under them let me know I am in the market for a set.

thanks for the welcome greetings. I will post pics once I figure that out too. I do not have a photo bucket account I just connect my camera or phone to my computer and file my pics and my membership level does not allow me to post from my computer file (I think) Does anyone know how to remove the rails? I do not have a moonroof and I recall the max load distributed on the roof was 200 pounds - enough for my two kayaks. If I do decide to remove and sell them I still need to know how to remove them. Thanks again

thanks for the welcome greetings. I will post pics once I figure that out too. I do not have a photo bucket account I just connect my camera or phone to my computer and file my pics and my membership level does not allow me to post from my computer file (I think) Does anyone know how to remove the rails? I do not have a moonroof and I recall the max load distributed on the roof was 200 pounds - enough for my two kayaks. If I do decide to remove and sell them I still need to know how to remove them. Thanks again
Maximum weight without moonroof is 100 pounds. It's shown in the Manual. As for selling your 'rails', you must have an Elite membership to do that on the Forum.

Peter

On my 2014 you just remove the caps on the ends of the rails, I used a small screw driver, be careful not to let it slip and scratch the cap, pry up gently and the cap will come off. The only way to get the center one off it to completely remove the rail by taking the two 8mm bolts out of each end and then carefully sliding the rail forward to release it from the center mount. I just recently did this hoping to get mine chromed, but the place I was going to take it to their long tank was down for repair with no ETR. Hope this helps.

On my 2014 you just remove the caps on the ends of the rails, I used a small screw driver, be careful not to let it slip and scratch the cap, pry up gently and the cap will come off. The only way to get the center one off it to completely remove the rail by taking the two 8mm bolts out of each end and then carefully sliding the rail forward to release it from the center mount. I just recently did this hoping to get mine chromed, but the place I was going to take it to their long tank was down for repair with no ETR. Hope this helps.
2016+ models have a completely different rail setup. I personally haven't seen them other than in pictures so I can't tell if your directions can be followed or not. I'm sure we'll find out.

Peter

I have removed the rail covers to paint them before, which exposes the rail bolts. Starting at the front, grab the rail cover (the long center plastic piece) with 2 hands and pull straight up with some good oomph.

thanks guys I haven't tried it yet but I hope to get to it this weekend or I may just pay the labor charge and let a professional vinyl wrap the roof as I am hearing it is not easy due to all the undulations in the roof which makes it much harder than if it was flat. It does not look like a good project for my first attempt to wrap. If you apply the wrap only to the high spots and rely on the heat gun to stretch out the vinyl so you can tuck it into the low spots the vinyl will eventually lift off the low spots and will look like a mess. The job will call for starting in the center and working the vinyl into each low channel without stretching it - probably more about vinyl wrapping than you wanted to know but thought I'd share in case anyone was wondering.

The only "wondering" I was doing in reading the post is why do this in the first place?:dunno:

Peter

Sounds like it's for purely cosmetic reasons.

I was considering removing them or loosening them for two reasons. The 2016 2017 design has stumped Thule and Yakima and myself for that matter. You cannot tie anything down to the roof using the rails as they are because you cannot pass anything under them. Thule and Yakima have not devised a way to adapt their rack system to work with these rails either. On top of this design flaw the rails do not hold much weight. I was considering adapting a bracket to fit the holes of the factory rail to fit my Yakima rack

2nd is pure cosmetic. I was considering wrapping (think of it as paint that can be peeled off) the roof in black similar to the look of some Range Rovers. Only body part on the side of the car that would need to be blacked out along with the roof is the C pillar as the look is top half of the car is black from the window line up

2nd is pure cosmetic. I was considering wrapping (think of it as paint that can be peeled off) the roof in black similar to the look of some Range Rovers. Only body part on the side of the car that would need to be blacked out along with the roof is the C pillar as the look is top half of the car is black from the window line up

I know it's already been asked, but definitely show us pictures when you get it done. A little over two years ago we were in Germany (for my wife's job) and fell in love with the Range Rover Evoque. Ultimately after having our second child and vacationing with her parents we decided a six (or seven) seater was the way to go....hence the Explorer. Had thought about a Range Rover Sport, but decided we could use the money saved elsewhere. So I definitely want to see what an Explorer looks like dressed up as a RR. :)

Back