• Register Today It's free!

AM/FM 6-disc CD question

Deputy276

Reaction score
City, State
Silver City, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer
I have the AM/FM 6-disc CD player in my 2005 Ford Explorer. The disc changer stuck in the "change" position and drained down the battery. Went to Ford and they "fixed" it by removing the CDs in the player, assuming that would stop the constant ejection attempts. WRONG. We didn't even put any discs in and it started up again. Drained the battery to zero and had to install a new battery. Pulled the fuse for the unit and no more worries. However, the wife is going crazy with no radio. Sooooo, I was wondering if anyone knew the EXACT wire or wires I can snip to disable the CD player, but still keep the radio functional?

Thanks in advance,
Dep

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't help ya with the wiring but these can be had refurbed on ebay for $50-$60. Just a thought.

They sell for a lot more than $50-$60. More like $165-$325 and only a 90 day warranty for the best one. And I would be risking the same thing happening again. No thanks. Just want to snip some wires so she can hear the radio. Maybe I'll just rip out the CD thing entirely :)

Mine has gotten stuck a few times and I just smack the dash a bunch until it works.

I would go with the dash smacking option if it were my car. But when she gets up in the moroning and finds a dead battery...I get put in the doghouse ;)
I may have to get out the continuity tester and poke and probe to find the right wire. I have the service manuals, but not sure that would help.

They sell for a lot more than $50-$60. More like $165-$325 and only a 90 day warranty for the best one. And I would be risking the same thing happening again. No thanks. Just want to snip some wires so she can hear the radio. Maybe I'll just rip out the CD thing entirely :)

I think the updated ones with added aux input are ones you saw for $$$. Look again, there is one listed right now for $54.99. Sure it might malfunction eventually like your old one but that seems like a rare failure mode to me. The common problem is stuck CDs and I have had it happen a few times too. Always managed to fish them out and it still plays fine.

If you can swing it, just get an aftermarket stereo and save the hassle with that factory junk. I bought a nice Kenwood double-DIN unit for $150 and the harness/adapter for another $20. The stereos in this generation are pretty simple to swap out.

I had the 6-disc changer in my '03 Mustang GT. When it started "eating" the discs, out it came for an aftermarket unit. It's not a matter of "IF" it will happen...just "WHEN."

they are factory junk, I have the old one sitting on my garage. CDs get stuck or won't work at all. My lincoln ls has the same issue, I replaced them both with 2 DIN aftermarket stereos and it sound better plus the added benefit of bluetooth phone and audio streaming.
My 02 mustang convertible has the same stereo and CDs are not working at all.. don't really care and waiting for some funds to replace it.

I wanted to replace it with an aftermarket, but danged if i could find any on E-Bay. Can you guys give me a location where they sell them? That would be PERFECT! :chug:

Pretty sure you have to open it up to disconnect anything. It receives power in and the internal board does the rest. You'd have to unsolder some connections. Doubt anyone here has that info.

Pretty sure you have to open it up to disconnect anything. It receives power in and the internal board does the rest. You'd have to unsolder some connections. Doubt anyone here has that info.

What about just ripping out the CD part of the radio?

I ripped my lincoln ls stereo and there's a ribbon cable that connects to the CD changer assembly board, you can try disconnect it. that cable is inside the assembly, it's fun disassembling the unit.

I wanted to replace it with an aftermarket, but danged if i could find any on E-Bay. Can you guys give me a location where they sell them? That would be PERFECT! :chug:

Best Buy
Crutchfield
...check for Car Audio shops in your area...

Found a Pioneer radio on Amazon that gets good ratings and apparently there are kits to allow you to plug directly into the factory harness. Thanks for the advice guys!!!

Pioneers are nice too. And yes, the harness adapter is great...splice it up to the harness provided with the stereo and you'll be good to go. I soldered mine together.

And, you get all the extras of a modern car stereo. :)

Pioneers are nice too. And yes, the harness adapter is great...splice it up to the harness provided with the stereo and you'll be good to go. I soldered mine together.

And, you get all the extras of a modern car stereo. :)

Yep...without slamming on the dash to make it work. LOL. :D

Back