• Register Today It's free!

Help - Homelink programming

Todd7446

Reaction score
City, State
Valdosta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 Explorer Platinum
Just picked up my 2017 Platinum last night. Love it!!! However, I'm not having any luck programming the garage door opener buttons. I've followed the instructions in the manual, but haven't had any luck getting them programmed. Has anyone else had trouble, and how did you get it resolved? (And no, this isn't my first time - I've programmed several other vehicles in the past)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly need to press a button on the opener itself.

Just picked up my 2017 Platinum last night. Love it!!! However, I'm not having any luck programming the garage door opener buttons. I've followed the instructions in the manual, but haven't had any luck getting them programmed. Has anyone else had trouble, and how did you get it resolved? (And no, this isn't my first time - I've programmed several other vehicles in the past)

I forgot the sequence, but was able to program with a Chamerlain unit on the first try.
Did you try programming using the remote or the learn funciton on the unit?

Did you erase the unsuccessful programing each time before trying again? I had a similar problem and after several unsuccessful attempts I decided to use the 'erase' feature before trying again and it worked.

Peter

I haven't tried that yet, Peter. If I remember, to do that you hold the two outside homelink buttons down until you get a fast blink - does that sound correct to you?

I haven't tried that yet, Peter. If I remember, to do that you hold the two outside homelink buttons down until you get a fast blink - does that sound correct to you?
Yes, that is correct.

1. Press and hold the outer two function
buttons simultaneously for
approximately 20 seconds until the
indicator lights above the buttons flash
rapidly.
2. When the indicator lights flash, release
the buttons. The codes for all buttons
are erased.

Thank you. I will try that tonight.

Go to the Homelink website and get directions. The manual wasn't really clear enough for me. I treated the two different steps as an either/or situation when I really needed to do both. Basically it came down to programming the handheld to the Homelink remote, then programming the Homelink to the door itself.

Go to the Homelink website and get directions. The manual wasn't really clear enough for me. I treated the two different steps as an either/or situation when I really needed to do both. Basically it came down to programming the handheld to the Homelink remote, then programming the Homelink to the door itself.

Got them now. Thanks. Will try tonight.

Is it possible your garage door opener requires a repeater? Both of my cars require repeaters, lucky for me each car uses a different opener. (Homelink / Car2U Pro)

Manufacturers changed the receiver specs a few years ago (about 2011), so the homelink on newer cars will not work with openers made before that date. A "repeater" is required for compatibility. A search on Homelink Repeater should find the specific info you require.

Manufacturers changed the receiver specs a few years ago (about 2011), so the homelink on newer cars will not work with openers made before that date. A "repeater" is required for compatibility. A search on Homelink Repeater should find the specific info you require.
I have Homelink and my garage door opener must be at least 15 years old or more and I had no setup issues. No repeater required.

Peter

I just went through this yesterday with my new Explorer Platinum. I have a Sears opener probably about 20 years old. I held the open button on the remote while pressing the middle button on Homelink. The remote needs to be close to the Homelink while pressing the buttons. Once the red light starts blinking fast, the code should be stored.

Sorry for the late response. I appreciate all of the replies. The best suggestion was to download instructions from Homelink directly. The Ford manual says after programming with the handheld remote to go through the steps on the opener itself. After pressing the Learn button, the manual said to press the Homelink button for two seconds, release, and repeat. The Homelink instructions said to press the Learn button and then simply press and release the appropriate Homelink button - and repeat until the door actuates. One door took 4 presses, one took 5, and one took 14. All work fine now, though. And these are openers that were installed in 2006/2007 - no repeater needed.

Back