Creaking mirror on drivers side and Ford in denial | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Creaking mirror on drivers side and Ford in denial

peelman

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi all. My 16 Sport has been very enjoyable experience to drive, too bad I can't say the same thing about the dealership that I bought it from. Had the vehicle in for some issues to be corrected, one in particular was the drivers mirror has been creaking so badly it looks to be wearing in places. The dealer tried to repair it with grease that didn't work at all, but they tried to say "it's fine now". NO WAY! They sent pictures over 2 weeks ago to Ford Canada for warranty approval to which Ford has disapproved. Ford Canada told dealer to swap modules and reprogram to repair creaking noise, dealer replied that they did this and no difference. Dealer told me when I asked if there was anything I could do, "no just wait".
I bought this car back in December and the 2 times I've had the vehical in for issues they have not repaired as indicated on the work order which included this issue. They offered a free loaner ( shoebox focus) while they repaired other items on the work order.
I can't believe Ford Canada is dragging their feet on this even after the Dealership said it requires a mirror replacement.

Can anyone offer advice on how I should proceed here? Maybe one of the Ford.ca reps that I see here could shed some light. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What exactly is creaking? The glass, the cover or the mirror body? Once adjusted, there shouldn't be anything that moves. Does it creak when you drive with it folded in?
I can't say I understand the ''swap modules and reprogram to repair creaking noise" part at all. Creaking is usually caused by a moving part but like I mentioned before, nothing should be moving once it's adjusted. Have you tried 'misadjusting' it to see if it still has the problem? Perhaps it time for the techs to take it apart and check out the internals. If you're seeking help from the reps here I suggest sending them a PM directly to ensure they receive your complaint.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordServiceCA

Peter

Thanks Peter. The creaking occurs when the power mirror is auto folding open or closed, sorry I left out that part. You can actually watch the mirror quiver as it's creaking to the open or closed position. I'll check out the link.

Thanks Peter. The creaking occurs when the power mirror is auto folding open or closed, sorry I left out that part. You can actually watch the mirror quiver as it's creaking to the open or closed position. I'll check out the link.
That's kind of an important part.:) Sounds like it is binding or the motor needs to be replaced. Can you fold them by hand to see if it seems free and easy?

Peter

I agree and so does the Dealership, for some reason Ford Canada is not playing ball at the moment. I'm hesitant to try to fold by hand, they might say I force it which caused the issue. I didn't think the powered mirrors would fold/ unfold manually.

Hi all. My 16 Sport has been very enjoyable experience to drive, too bad I can't say the same thing about the dealership that I bought it from. Had the vehicle in for some issues to be corrected, one in particular was the drivers mirror has been creaking so badly it looks to be wearing in places. The dealer tried to repair it with grease that didn't work at all, but they tried to say "it's fine now". NO WAY! They sent pictures over 2 weeks ago to Ford Canada for warranty approval to which Ford has disapproved. Ford Canada told dealer to swap modules and reprogram to repair creaking noise, dealer replied that they did this and no difference. Dealer told me when I asked if there was anything I could do, "no just wait".
I bought this car back in December and the 2 times I've had the vehical in for issues they have not repaired as indicated on the work order which included this issue. They offered a free loaner ( shoebox focus) while they repaired other items on the work order.
I can't believe Ford Canada is dragging their feet on this even after the Dealership said it requires a mirror replacement.

Can anyone offer advice on how I should proceed here? Maybe one of the Ford.ca reps that I see here could shed some light. Thanks in advance.
You're not the only one. Since the heat wave this summer, my drivers side started to squeak and now the passenger side. It doesn't appear to be struggling, but it squeaks, but only when opening up; versus closing. It will be brought up on my next oil change the next month or so and will I let you know if it's going to get replaced or bandage. FYI, it doesn't squeak when wet during rainy days, or fresh off a wash.
I'm not surprised by this because it's just another mechanism with moving parts that will eventually break.

613GT500, it definitely creaks while folding open and closed. I've noticed on cooler days it was less of a creak but the jerkiness was still there. Friction/ fitment issue during hot days for sure. I'd appreciate if you would let me know how your dealer solves the issue, I do not have very much confidence in the dealership service dept I'm dealing with now. After this is resolved I'm looking to take my business elsewhere. That's after I receive my 3 free oil changes I negotiated for.

I had both the driver and passenger side mirrors with this issue. One would click (bump) opening and the other would do it closing. Had the dealer look at it, and after 2 trips for parts they did a tsb that shimmed them. Two weeks later the un-smooth operation is back. I guess smooth operation isn't something to be expected from an almost $50k vehicle. What's funny is my nine year old Audi with 67k miles power fold function is a smooth as silk. Love my Explorer, but there is no comparison in quality when it comes to a premium brand...

My 16 sport driver's side makes same noise, more so in warm summer months. Mostly quiet in winter season.

Same here. It is very intermittent, but the driver's side mirror has had this creaking issue when folding open or closed. I hit it with some WD-40 and it has not made another sound since.

Well, looks like I don't have a solid case to report on my next oil change in Oct; as the noise on the passenger side has completely dissipated and the driver side nearly gone.
It was definitely due to the very hot weather we had; which has subsided now heading into the fall season.

I noticed the same creak happening on a day where it was about 95 degrees. Luckily it hasn't happened since then. I assume it may have been due to some expansion caused by the heat.

Hey Pelman I received your private message, and answered it. Check it out.

You're not the only one. Since the heat wave this summer, my drivers side started to squeak and now the passenger side. It doesn't appear to be struggling, but it squeaks, but only when opening up; versus closing. It will be brought up on my next oil change the next month or so and will I let you know if it's going to get replaced or bandage. FYI, it doesn't squeak when wet during rainy days, or fresh off a wash.
I'm not surprised by this because it's just another mechanism with moving parts that will eventually break.
I had both the driver and passenger side mirrors with this issue. One would click (bump) opening and the other would do it closing. Had the dealer look at it, and after 2 trips for parts they did a tsb that shimmed them. Two weeks later the un-smooth operation is back. I guess smooth operation isn't something to be expected from an almost $50k vehicle. What's funny is my nine year old Audi with 67k miles power fold function is a smooth as silk. Love my Explorer, but there is no comparison in quality when it comes to a premium brand...

Hey 613GT500 and Lostinmacungie,

Let me lend a hand. Do you also own a 2016 Ford Explorer? Can you send me a private message with your VIN, registered name on the vehicle, and the name of the dealership? I will check out my resources.

My 16 sport driver's side makes same noise, more so in warm summer months. Mostly quiet in winter season.

Have you been to the dealership regarding this concern Gatortailale?

Same here. It is very intermittent, but the driver's side mirror has had this creaking issue when folding open or closed. I hit it with some WD-40 and it has not made another sound since.

Glad to see the issue is fixed rtsittner J :)

Hey Pelman I received your private message, and answered it. Check it out.

Hey 613GT500 and Lostinmacungie,

Let me lend a hand. Do you also own a 2016 Ford Explorer? Can you send me a private message with your VIN, registered name on the vehicle, and the name of the dealership? I will check out my resources.

Have you been to the dealership regarding this concern Gatortailale?

Glad to see the issue is fixed rtsittner J :)

Hi there. Replied to your message, hope you can help out.

this has been going on for me also, with my 2016 Explorer Limited. I asked Dealer to look into once when I had car in for something else, and they came back with what I expected: we couldn't make it fail. Well, it's been going on and on for me. But, as of last week I'm over 36k miles in less than 2 yrs. So, I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it on my own. The quality of this vehicle and the short warranty period are enough to make me think twice on the next car about buying/ordering new and buying from Ford. SYNC2 with MFT really was the straw that broke the camel's back.

this has been going on for me also, with my 2016 Explorer Limited. I asked Dealer to look into once when I had car in for something else, and they came back with what I expected: we couldn't make it fail. Well, it's been going on and on for me. But, as of last week I'm over 36k miles in less than 2 yrs. So, I guess I'm just going to have to deal with it on my own. The quality of this vehicle and the short warranty period are enough to make me think twice on the next car about buying/ordering new and buying from Ford. SYNC2 with MFT really was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Seems strange that for an on going issue that you only had the dealer look into it once. I would have had them check it again or gone to another dealer. If a dealer can't replicate the issue then unfortunately they cannot do anything for you. That in itself is not unusual. As for the "short warranty period", Ford seems to be in line with many other manufacturers like Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Subaru.....There are some that do offer longer ones. The 2016 came with Sync 2 when you bought it so I don't understand that being an issue being "the last straw". Were you forced to buy it? There are some members who have changed theirs to Sync 3.

Peter

Seems strange that for an on going issue that you only had the dealer look into it once. I would have had them check it again or gone to another dealer. If a dealer can't replicate the issue then unfortunately they cannot do anything for you. That in itself is not unusual. As for the "short warranty period", Ford seems to be in line with many other manufacturers like Toyota, Honda, Chrysler, Subaru.....There are some that do offer longer ones. The 2016 came with Sync 2 when you bought it so I don't understand that being an issue being "the last straw". Were you forced to buy it? There are some members who have changed theirs to Sync 3.

Peter
You're not incorrect on most points. I'm just displeased with the second largest purchase of my life, thus far.
The reason I haven't had it into dealer more than once for noisy mirror is because I feel like a fool telling them "I hear this rubbing, creaking noise", and expected the response I ultimately got from them. Half the time, I thought it could be that car was dirty...but, even after fresh washing it still made the noise on driver's side and not passenger.
I'm not even going to delve deeper into SYNC2 w/MFT. this is a mirror noise thread. SYNC2's shortcomings are widely reported and acknowledged by Ford's own execs. I just need to bite the bullet and pony up to replace it, as you pointed out... what's another $2k, for a vehicle not yet 2 yrs old?

My 2106 Platinum driver's side mirror creaked, squeaked, jerked and I had the Dealer work on it twice. Last month I asked if they might actually fix it this 3rd time as the WD-40 or whatever they were oiling it with was not the answer. Surprisingly Ford ok'd a new unit, it was ordered and installed - no more moaning and groaning driver's side mirror - wonderful.

Quality has been similarly poor on the 2017. Constant fights with Corporate with no help, dealer keeps trying over and over, Corp won't even send out an FSE as a good will gesture.

But at least Sync 3 is solid, not that it'll probably keep me in the brand next time around.

In any event, my sympathies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My drivers side mirror just started doing this today. I have 44,000 miles and an extended warranty, anyone know if that will cover a bad mirror?

Back