'99 Ed.Bau.-Swapped power seat for manual NOW airbag light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Ed.Bau.-Swapped power seat for manual NOW airbag light on

meyek91974

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky - Let me no f u r nearby
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer 2wd Edd.B
Help.
I removed my electric front passenger seat to replace with a manual seat now my airbag light is on. How do I stop the airbag light from being on is there a fuse that controls all of this help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You'll need to transfer the old seat belt buckle from your old powered seat to the new manual one. The old one should have a wiring pigtail attached to it. Plug it back in and the airbag light will go away.

You'll need to transfer the old seat belt buckle from your old powered seat to the new manual one. The old one should have a wiring pigtail attached to it. Plug it back in and the airbag light will go away.

I want to remove the carpet and clearcoat or bedliner the floorboards as I intend to drive doorless like a Wrangler. I plan on removing wires as I go to scale down from power everything. How can I get past the dash light as I merge from electric?

Might be able to with a really good code scanner? Did your electric seats have seat air bags, might have something to do with it. I have electric seats with air bags, my seat belt wire is unhooked and I don't have an airbag dash light on

The 99+ trucks have the side air bag feature built into the controller. There was a resistance from the seat(bag or resistor) which you took out. So the air bag system will be disabled until it recognizes the proper resistance.

If you are removing that much wiring, try installing the air bag resistors(2) in the wiring(4 wires) at the controller(right kick panel). If the old seats didn't have side air bags, then the resistors needed are plugged into the seat wiring, just under the back of them. The connectors are yellow, very easy to spot.

Note, the resistors cost a good $15 from Ford, and lots of people have problems with the control module not recognizing the proper resistance. That's in untouched trucks, not modified, just simply the light comes on as it doesn't like the resistance it's seeing.

So you can modify what you have to relocate the resistance to near the control module, maybe play with different resistors etc. But some people haven't been able to fix theirs. If nothing fixes it that way, you might try what I'm going to soon.

I have a 99 Limited with different seats, and three tries with OEM resistors, and two aftermarket sets didn't work. Mine is a rebuilt truck I used for mail delivery. I plan to again soon, and I use it without the right side air bag, sitting on the right side. So I don't need the left air bag much. I'm going to remember some day to hunt a 1998 air bag module, and make that work in my 99 truck. The wiring will be slightly different in the dash no doubt. But I expect that it won't take much work to figure it out, and the side air bag wires will no longer be needed for mine.

Back