My Ford Touch randomly turns HVAC on when i start car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Ford Touch randomly turns HVAC on when i start car

Palmz43

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Every since I installed LED lights inside the car (map lights, 2nd row seats, puddle lights, and license plate lights) I have noticed that every once in while when i start the car the HVAC system will turn on by itself (it was off when i turned the car off previously). I have tried a hard reset on the my ford touch system but that has not fixed the problem. Do anyone have some advice on why this is occurring? Potential defecting APM?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure if the outside temp is above a certain degree It turns on the a/c automaticly Mine does this on hot days...even though my a/c doesnt work lol

Since I never turn mine off, I'm guess what machine4321 said is the way it works. My system seems to do everything automatically. I'll have to pay more attention to it to see if it will do the same.

Peter

I never noticed it as we always had it on when the a/c was working. now that it doesnt we have it off and on the really hot days it auo ons to max a/c. I am thinking I read it somewhere on the forum but cant find it.

Scan for codes. I would not be surprised to see a communications error in there. You will need a more advanced scantool like FORScan or Ford IDS.

After that, or if you can't get codes, do an old fashioned reset--pull that battery (-) terminal off for 10 minutes or so, then reconnect. See if there is any difference.

Stating the obvious here, but when you said you turned it off; did you actually disable the HVAC via the climate button?

Pretty sure if the outside temp is above a certain degree It turns on the a/c automaticly Mine does this on hot days...even though my a/c doesnt work lol

Since I never turn mine off, I'm guess what machine4321 said is the way it works. My system seems to do everything automatically. I'll have to pay more attention to it to see if it will do the same.

Peter

I never noticed it as we always had it on when the a/c was working. now that it doesnt we have it off and on the really hot days it auo ons to max a/c. I am thinking I read it somewhere on the forum but cant find it.

Interesting, but i dont think this is it as it tends to only do it in the morning or sportaically during the day. For example, I was out with my wife shopping and we were going between stores and one of the three times it decided to randomly kick on when we started the car. It always defaults to the my temp setting and auto mode.

Scan for codes. I would not be surprised to see a communications error in there. You will need a more advanced scantool like FORScan or Ford IDS.

After that, or if you can't get codes, do an old fashioned reset--pull that battery (-) terminal off for 10 minutes or so, then reconnect. See if there is any difference.

I'll have to take it to the dealer if i want to have the codes scanned as i dont have access to Ford IDS nor a Windows computer to download FORScan.

Stating the obvious here, but when you said you turned it off; did you actually disable the HVAC via the climate button?

Yes, it is off. The display will show a power button when we shut it down.

After some experimenting it seems that if you turn Climate OFF before turning the vehicle OFF then when starting the vehicle again, the Climate will remain OFF. It appears to work the same way as the radio. The only way it should come ON at vehicle startup is if it was ON when the vehicle was shut down. Just like the radio.

Peter

After some experimenting it seems that if you turn Climate OFF before turning the vehicle OFF then when starting the vehicle again, the Climate will remain OFF. It appears to work the same way as the radio. The only way it should come ON at vehicle startup is if it was ON when the vehicle was shut down. Just like the radio.

Peter

Ok so it sounds like there is a problem then. I'll probably just have the dealership look at the car at my next service.

On our '15 we experienced that AC/Heating settings would randomly change after starting the car. Software update did not help.

We solved it by enabling the my-key setting. Since we have programmed my-key with default AC settings, we never faced an issue anymore; about 6 months now... knock wood.

I removed the LED lights from the interior of the car and have been running the stock lights with no issues anymore. Do you guys think the LEDs need resistors or something. I got them from drivebright and Dan told me I would not need resistors.

I do not have LED interior lights or any thing changed in my car. It is all pure stock, however since last quarter of 2014, I have seen the HVAC turn on randomly when the car is started. It has happened about 3 - 4 times in all these years. Not much of a big deal as I turned it off manually. I will rather not have dealer take things apart to check as they never put it back together like the way it came from the factory. 3 - 4 times since purchasing a new car.....is not bothersome for me.

Back