Is this tire still patchable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this tire still patchable?

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
2016 Ford Explorer Sport

I discovered a nail in my tire and I brought it into my local Ford dealer. The service adviser said it's not patchable and upsold me a new tire. He said a patch cannot be done because it is too close to the part of the tire that doesn't touch the floor. I gave in and agreed to the work. When the work was 80% done, I had second thoughts so I told the service adviser that I will keep the old tire and he said it's fine. When the job was complete, I made the service adviser tell me again the reason why I need a new tire. He said "yeah the tire isn't patchable because it is too close to the edge." After I paid, I asked him to show me where the nail was on the old tire and he showed me. I told him that "the nail is still in the center of the tire, it should be patchable." He responded with "what I would do is bring the old tire to a tire shop. They would probably patch it and you can still use it and keep it as a extra spare tire." In my head, I was just done with the dealership, just wanted to get to work so first he tells me the tire is not patchable. Then he upsells me a tire and when I say to keep the old tire, he tells me to bring it to another shop to patch it. What? I don't get it. I paid $300 total to get a new tire from the dealership because the service adviser said it's punctured at a spot that is not patchable but when the job is done and all paid for, the service adviser tells me something else.
http://imgur.com/vc6txPj
I have included a link to the tire. What would you guys say? Is it still patchable? What should I do if I got crooked?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a little hard to tell from the picture. Because of the close up it is difficult to see exactly where that puncture is in relation to the rest of the tire. I do know that most places will not patch a tire if the puncture is close to the sidewall. I had a similar experience with one of the Highlanders I used to have. I hope the tire they sold you was the same make and had the same tread pattern. Did they not have the same tire that came with the vehicle?

Peter

It's a little hard to tell from the picture. Because of the close up it is difficult to see exactly where that puncture is in relation to the rest of the tire. I do know that most places will not patch a tire if the puncture is close to the sidewall. I had a similar experience with one of the Highlanders I used to have. I hope the tire they sold you was the same make and had the same tread pattern. Did they not have the same tire that came with the vehicle?

Peter

They sold me the same brand tire that I originally had on my car. I will take and upload a zoomed out picture once I get back to my car later. I've showed a couple of my coworkers the actual tire with the nail attached and they all said it was totally patchable but I'm just trying to get more ideas.

nowadays liability is first on their list(lawsuits). then follows the price for the new tire. if your lucky and it is somehow warranted, someone still gets paid. like Hawaii said patches are questionable when you get to the sidewall due to the regular flexing in turns, wouldn't run it on the front. and grind the inside of the tire smooth in the area you are placing the patch.

Totally fixable. Plug and vulcanize.

2016 Ford Explorer Sport

I discovered a nail in my tire and I brought it into my local Ford dealer. The service adviser said it's not patchable and upsold me a new tire. He said a patch cannot be done because it is too close to the part of the tire that doesn't touch the floor. I gave in and agreed to the work. When the work was 80% done, I had second thoughts so I told the service adviser that I will keep the old tire and he said it's fine. When the job was complete, I made the service adviser tell me again the reason why I need a new tire. He said "yeah the tire isn't patchable because it is too close to the edge." After I paid, I asked him to show me where the nail was on the old tire and he showed me. I told him that "the nail is still in the center of the tire, it should be patchable." He responded with "what I would do is bring the old tire to a tire shop. They would probably patch it and you can still use it and keep it as a extra spare tire." In my head, I was just done with the dealership, just wanted to get to work so first he tells me the tire is not patchable. Then he upsells me a tire and when I say to keep the old tire, he tells me to bring it to another shop to patch it. What? I don't get it. I paid $300 total to get a new tire from the dealership because the service adviser said it's punctured at a spot that is not patchable but when the job is done and all paid for, the service adviser tells me something else.
http://imgur.com/vc6txPj
I have included a link to the tire. What would you guys say? Is it still patchable? What should I do if I got crooked?

Well here are some additional pictures if needed. I guess the dealership didn't patch it due to liability reasons. Next time I should just drive home and patch it myself.

http://imgur.com/a/y8qPT
That link doesn't work properly. Message come up;
Zoinks! You've taken a wrong turn.

Take the tire to a actual tire shop and see what they say.

I kinda had a problem with car dealer and a few other well known tire places here in NJ I wanted 4 used tires mounted on my wheels and put on my EX i was told by all of them that its a libility problem and they will not do it, ALL were willing to sell me new tires
Same day i found a small local mom and pop place about 10 miles away that would put them on 1,2,3 they were done and on my ex no questions asked and no problems, paid and left guess who will get my tire business now

Same day i found a small local mom and pop place about 10 miles away that would put them on 1,2,3 they were done and on my ex no questions asked
They didn't mount the 4th one? :D

Peter

That link doesn't work properly. Message come up;
Zoinks! You've taken a wrong turn.

Sorry. I was getting use to imgur.
Here is the now working link.
http://imgur.com/a/vnQDK

I have asked around and shown the picture and physical tire to classmates of mine that work at shops. They all said any tire shop will patch the tire. A guy that works at Toyota dealership told me that they probably used liability as a reason to upsell you a tire because they really wanted to make a sale. He said that the dealership is right about it being a liability reason, but if the tire was under warranty, they would have probably patched it and sent me on my way. I don't want to jump to conclusions yet about being ripped off. Thank you and sorry about the non working link.

Sorry. I was getting use to imgur.
Here is the now working link.
http://imgur.com/a/vnQDK

I have asked around and shown the picture and physical tire to classmates of mine that work at shops. They all said any tire shop will patch the tire. A guy that works at Toyota dealership told me that they probably used liability as a reason to upsell you a tire because they really wanted to make a sale. He said that the dealership is right about it being a liability reason, but if the tire was under warranty, they would have probably patched it and sent me on my way. I don't want to jump to conclusions yet about being ripped off. Thank you and sorry about the non working link.
No problem re the link. I got to check out a whole bunch of pictures.;)
It looks like the puncture is right on the edge of the 'no repair' zone shown in the link a few posts above.

Peter

No problem re the link. I got to check out a whole bunch of pictures.;)
It looks like the puncture is right on the edge of the 'no repair' zone shown in the link a few posts above.

Peter

Yep, if it was a little bit more in, then it would have been patchable. A just brought it into a mom and pop tire shop and they patched it for $20. The guy that patched it told me to complain to the service manager because I was given misinformed information because the service adviser said "no shop would patch that." but in the end said "bring it to a tire shop to patch it and keep it as a spare." I think I might just eat the cost and treat it as a lesson learned.

Anyways, thanks again.

yea that looked repairable by a long shot, anyways it worked out at the end and you saved it for later

That's definitely a patchable hole. It's at that point where it's on the line of fixable and not fixable based on graph images alone, but the reality of the situation is that that point of the tire will be more than making full contact with the road at the recommended 35 psi and it's not a puncture to the tire wall, so you'd be fine. The dealership has a valid argument if you disputed it, but they should've given you better information to make an educated decision up front and, in my opinion, they're jerks for no doing that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the tire to a actual tire shop and see what they say.

^This^. A car dealership is the last place you want to buy, repair, mount tires, and/or get a 4 wheel alignment, etc. Go to a qualified tire/alignment shop for these services. Always.

Back