Sport Blowing white smoke??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Blowing white smoke???

Lenthan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
We have a 2014 sport with right around 5,000 miles on it. Today while setting in the grocery parking lot I noticed a excessive amount of white smoke from the exhaust. The smoke does not smell like burning oil but it does smell like burning something. Being Sunday tomorrow and Labor day Monday I may not be able to get it in for service until Tuesday does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this and do you think it's safe to drive to the shop around 10 miles away.

I did some research online and most things said white smoke generally means a blown head gasket or cracked head allowing coolant into the cylinders. I'm hoping this is not the case, as far as I know it has not overheated at all and the vehicle health report does not show anything wrong for what that's worth.

Thanks for any ideas on what could be wrong and any advice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's hard to say without seeing it in person. And since you're asking on here/google I'ma guess you really can't say either.

If it happens again go to Ford on Tuesday. Otherwise don't worry about it. Could be a blown head gasket. Could be some condensation

If it was coolant then your level should be down. Have you checked that?

Peter

We have a 2014 sport with right around 5,000 miles on it. Today while setting in the grocery parking lot I noticed a excessive amount of white smoke from the exhaust. The smoke does not smell like burning oil but it does smell like burning something. Being Sunday tomorrow and Labor day Monday I may not be able to get it in for service until Tuesday does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this and do you think it's safe to drive to the shop around 10 miles away.

I did some research online and most things said white smoke generally means a blown head gasket or cracked head allowing coolant into the cylinders. I'm hoping this is not the case, as far as I know it has not overheated at all and the vehicle health report does not show anything wrong for what that's worth.

Nope.

It's oil. Mine has done this 5 or 6 times. It's not done it recently which is unusual. I was suspecting one of the turbo bearings leaking oil internally.

I am unable to show the dealer because it's so sporadic that it would be practically impossible.

I know you said the smoke was white and yours very well could be a different issue but next time you see it double check the color of the smoke. Mine was a very light blue.

Plan is to let it get bad enough to show the dealer.

I thought oil would produce a blue smoke as you stated.

Peter

Thanks for the ideas.

My wife drives it most of the time so I don't know if and how much it has been doing this. I am pretty sure its not oil as it dissipates pretty quickly like steam, I will try to get a better look at it. I did look at the coolant level and if It's low it's not by much.

I did not get a chance to use it yesterday to see if the problem is consistent or intermittent. If it's still producing smoke Tuesday I will take it in for service.

One question on service. Should I expect the Ford service center to provide a loaner vehicle if the repairs needed are substantial?

Thanks again.

If you bought the Ford ESP (Extended Warranty Plan) with first day rental, then YES, you should be provided with or have the cost of a rental covered. If not, then it is strictly up to the dealer. As per your Warranty Guide, Ford is not obliged to supply a loaner/rental. If the dealer does so, it is at their expense.

Peter

Could also be a turbo on the way out or bad valve stem seals.

White smoke is almost always the turbo as opposed to head gasket on Saab's as I have one and am on top of things that can happen, but with only 5k on your Sport, who knows.

If the smoke smells of coolant, I'd lean towards head gasket. If not, turbo or valve stem seals.

was at work in car resting with the car running for about a hour... I turned car off went in work came back out 10 minutes later got in car started it and took off and it was blowing a ton of white smoke outta both tail pipes for about a minute... It eventually stopped and i could not get it to do it again... Going to check intake to see if there is any oil in there now... anyone else ever experience anything like this??? I have a trip to bowling green KY Wednesday and im suppose to be towing a trailer... nervous now....

One word: Warranty.

was at work in car resting with the car running for about a hour... I turned car off went in work came back out 10 minutes later got in car started it and took off and it was blowing a ton of white smoke outta both tail pipes for about a minute... It eventually stopped and i could not get it to do it again... Going to check intake to see if there is any oil in there now... anyone else ever experience anything like this??? I have a trip to bowling green KY Wednesday and im suppose to be towing a trailer... nervous now....

No water in the oil and no water or oil in the coolant... might not have been white smoke coulda been blue or gray....
no check engine light no running ****ty when it happened... ran fine the whole time that it smoked... still can not get it to do it again... if a turbo goes it should throw a code correct

Wonder if it was condensation in the mufflers. You said you were idling for an hour, correct? Maybe that caused condensation to collect in the exhaust(mostly muffler) and when you started to drive, it heated the exhaust system up and "burned off" the water.

Hopefully, not a head gasket.

Isn't it..........

Water leak = White Smoke

Oil leak = Blue Smoke

Fuel too rich = Black smoke

IF a turbo goes.. it will
Isn't it..........

Water leak = White Smoke

Oil leak = Blue Smoke

Fuel too rich = Black smoke

Coolant leak (head gasket) is white smoke

Raw unburnt fuel is white smoke with heavy fuel smell.

Raw unburnt fuel is white smoke with heavy fuel smell.

I fully agree on the above - I am going through that particular issue right now in my 2011 Explorer with what appears to be a constant open/spraying fuel injector - it's putting out white smoke with a HEAVY fuel smell! (don't light a match!) :angryfire:

Probably water vapor and also depends on the air outside. Cool/hot; humid/dry; etc. probably nothing to worry about provided it's not continuing to blow excessive white smoke AND you are not low on coolant. "Excessive" is a relative term.

Hi - Just wondering if you ever got resolution on this? Mine just started this exact thing and dealership has seen it twice and said nothing is wrong. They say water vapor is getting in the exhaust but no explanation and that its fine. I keep explaining its not a little bit of smoke its a lot but still they stick to their resolution for the problem. Just wondering if you ever got resolution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi - Just wondering if you ever got resolution on this? Mine just started this exact thing and dealership has seen it twice and said nothing is wrong. They say water vapor is getting in the exhaust but no explanation and that its fine. I keep explaining its not a little bit of smoke its a lot but still they stick to their resolution for the problem. Just wondering if you ever got resolution.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If this happens on a regular basis, I'd be leery of accepting that explanation. The only time I've noticed anything coming out the exhaust is when it's cold out.

Peter

Back