Well I finally did it, I bought a Saleen XP8 - Nero Bandit Build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well I finally did it, I bought a Saleen XP8 - Nero Bandit Build

Well guys, Kris and I finally found one. 99-0023, one owner, around 90K miles. Guy was driving it and wrecked it hard in the front and bent the hell out of the frame. Everything else is repairable though so using our Bandit Custom magic, hopefully we can save this one too!

450.jpg

358.jpg

269.jpg

199.jpg

536.jpg

626.jpg

1018.jpg

915.jpg

816.jpg

720.jpg

1413.jpg

1317.jpg

1218.jpg

1120.jpg

1511.jpg

207.jpg

1910.jpg

1810.jpg

1711.jpg

1611.jpg

2510.jpg

2411.jpg

2311.jpg

2214.jpg

2114.jpg

304.jpg

294.jpg

285.jpg

275.jpg

2610.jpg

359.jpg

3410.jpg

3310.jpg

3211.jpg

3113.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_5441.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_8686.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like you guys have a little bit of work to do!

What are you going to do about the special Saleen fascia? Have you already found pieces?

The only Saleen piece that was damaged beyond repair was the driver side lower moulding which I have already found another one and bought. The front facia actually is repairable believe it or not. It's scuffed all to hell but there is only one small tear on the driver side wheel well lip.

so, when its fixed are you guys going to flip it, or keep it in the fleet

The original idea was to flip it but now after looking at it everyday I think we're gonna keep this one.

Naw with the buying of the new house and trying to get the old house ready as a rental property, nothing has progressed on this truck. We do have all the parts needed to get it back to tip top shape however

Nice find, I didn't notice the XP8 thread until today.

Can you go slow removing the front bumper, or carefully keep track of the unique mounting brackets behind the bumper? Those are more rare than the bumpers themselves. I have the bumpers but none of the small front support brackets. I finally got a few obscure pictures of them on a truck. I need at least some clear pictures of those brackets. Can you take care of those and document them for me?

I also like that Saleen sticker under the VIN tag, for the tires. I might like to have a clear close picture of that, I might make one with 275/55/17 as a size, and likely pressure in the 37psi front and 34psi rear range.

Nice find, I didn't notice the XP8 thread until today.

Can you go slow removing the front bumper, or carefully keep track of the unique mounting brackets behind the bumper? Those are more rare than the bumpers themselves. I have the bumpers but none of the small front support brackets. I finally got a few obscure pictures of them on a truck. I need at least some clear pictures of those brackets. Can you take care of those and document them for me?

I also like that Saleen sticker under the VIN tag, for the tires. I might like to have a clear close picture of that, I might make one with 275/55/17 as a size, and likely pressure in the 37psi front and 34psi rear range.
Are you talking about the 90 degree fiberglass "wings" that bolt to the header panel? Because otherwise the plastic portion of the bumper is just screwed to the stock metal bumper (at least on ours it was) there was the black plastic square thing in the middle but ours was damaged

I'd love to see anything which is behind the bumper cover that helps to attach it. I think the main thing they do is to space the cover out above the steel bumper etc. I have a chrome steel bumper to mount mine to, but from what I've read, the actual XP8 has two or three extra pieces to help hold it in place etc. The parts you mentioned are surely what I'm after. I did think they would be sheet metal though, and not fiberglass for structure.

Sure! let me get some things dug our around it (we have stuff piled up on it in the garage) to see if i can get some pics of stuff!

Thanks, and no rush at all. I have got three big projects ahead of my XP8 project, and life keeps smacking me randomly along the way.

I did buy a trans to build for the truck Sunday though. I was browsing eBay and tried 2004 Mustang V6 trans, and among 20+ choices, I got one for $250 shipped. It's a 95k miles unit, so I can use all of the parts for my needs. I've got a 29k miles Explorer 4R, so I'll use that case, the 04 valve body, and internals that are new or 29k miles old, to build a solid trans. I've been putting off doing the trans work, as it needs more space than I've got to spare, and I haven't needed one until my 91 AOD went out this year. Now I need two, and maybe three soon.

So question...do you have an XP now too? Tell me about your project. :)

I don't have an XP8, but I was active on the forum that had the most information about them over ten years ago. You might go onto that forum if it's still alive, to post your truck information so they can inventory it(and the features). They would appreciate it, that site has always been the best place to lean about the XP8 and XP6's. I miss those guys, but Rob who ran it stepped back a bit and things changed a lot there.

I haven't posted about my plans for years, but I collected the XP8 wing first, then a front bumper turned up, and later a mangled rear bumper cover. I didn't originally want to do much, the wing was big on my want list. But the Saleen parts do look amazing considering other body kit brands etc. I wouldn't mind finding the side pieces, but those six, to find intact, and feasibly, I'm not expecting to.

I did the lowering of my 98 Mountaineer early in 2004, and rebuilt the suspension a year later, and then custom brakes. After that time just flew, got more parts and plans, but didn't start the big things. Now I've finally found a solid body 98 Limited, to replace(fix) the corrosion issues of the Mounty(from Milwaukee). This Limited needs a lot of work, it was neglected in many ways.

When it's mechanically sound again, then I'll begin with the BW4406 A4WD swap, and new fully built trans. You already know how bad the exhausts are. I'm going to fabricate a new one, from the back forward, 3" dual everything. I'll leave the collector ends in place, and make some log manifolds. That may force me to swap cheap heads on to get rid of the "P" manifolds. I have new bigger calipers to upgrade the SSBC I've been using(pads are too small). Do that and test along the way, then fab the parts to make a KB 2200 blower work, that I've had for ages. The XP8 parts will go on somewhere along then, with new seats, all Ford badges gone, Mountaineer grille etc, body and paint work, and later a new 332 engine.

I'm getting older and slower, that's my bucket list now. Regards,

Damn bud, you have done a lot of work! I cant wait to see the finished product! Like I said, when i get a chance to pull everything out of the saleen ill get some pics going! And remember, if you ever want to part with those saleen bits, let me know!

And i actually picked up 5 of those 6 peices you were speaking of as spares :) i am planning on putting them on blue at some point...dont think anyone has put XP8 parts on a first gen yet so what the hell :)

Excellent, the XP8 parts will fit the 1st gen well, besides the wing and front bumper. You can swap any hatch to make a wing fit right, and maybe a 2nd gen front bumper might look okay. When I was pondering rebuilding my 99 with my old 93 Limited front end, I didn't think the bigger 99-01 plastic bumpers would look okay. The 95-98 might though, and the XP8 cover is a different shape and look all together.

I wonder how the Saleen door trim pieces attach, are there any or many holes drilled in the doors? I like the running boards mine have all had, but the XP8 is nice also, just a completely different look.

the side door peices are just held in with double sided tape. no holes in the doors. my plan for Blue is to use the Explorer Express firberglass limited recreated front bumper with the saleen side skirts and door skirts. the rear bumper will remain a navajo bumper with the mountaineer reflectors. but blue needs to be completely torn down and restored from top to bottom first before that happens!
14316871_10101992492491311_1804320708053513018_n.jpg

Cool, I'm glad to hear the door trim just uses tape or adhesive. I think I'd still like to find those some day.

Also I like the 96-98 Limited wheels on your 92 Blue Bandit. I didn't know the old 4WD front hub cap would go through the other wheels. Is that 4WD cap too long for the Limited cap to go on. Maybe you could cut a small hole in it if it isn't too long. I love those caps, which are the same for all 96-01's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back