Rear Bumper Protectors | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Bumper Protectors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I had purchased the rear bumper protector on my '13 Edge before I sold it, I scratched the hell out of that bumper loading and unloading things. Is there a rear bumper protector accessory available for 16+ Explorers?
Using the 'Search' feature, which all members are asked to do before starting a new thread, I found this existing one and merged yours with it.
There is a post that mentioned that the BMC covers for the 2016+ models are different. BMC lists them for 2011 - 2015 model years and for 2016 - 2017 models but the photos used for them are the same one.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Ordered the BMC for the 16+ Explorer.

As mentioned, it doesn't cover the lip of the bumper, which seems to be the norm with some vehicles. These covers were standard on the Highlanders I had previously and it is only this year that I saw one that covered the lip as well. I ordered this through the dealer and although it isn't visible in the photo, it does say EXPLORER on it.
I just checked out Rick's pictures from the SEMA Auto Show and one of them shows a bumper protector that does cover the lip. I doubt it is a Ford product though.

I too have this on my Sport... however I opted to put it on myself vs have the Dealer do it as I knew they wouldn't put it all the way to the edge of the bumper.
I placed my up the edge of the bumper so that its covered and protected.

Thanks Peter.

Ordered the BMC for the 16+ Explorer.
UPDATE. I sent an email to BMC about using the same photo for 2 different covers. I received a reply this morning saying that there is really no difference in the dimensions of the Explorer bumpers from 2011 - 2017. There manufacturing division initially told them there was and thus the 2 different numbers for the covers. Further testing showed no such difference so the one listed for 2011 should fit a 2017.

Peter

Very pleased with my BMC cover. Installed it back in the spring and it looks great. Adds a finishing touch to the rear bumper while protecting it.

I agree with Peter. According to the BMC website, there's an 11-15 and 16-17 bumper cover:

http://www.bmcextremecustoms.net/foexrebucopr.html

To play it safe, I'll order one directly from BMC. The honeycomb design doesn't bother me so much and I want to ensure the fit and finish are proper. I also want something durable as I'd think the metal plates will ding, dent and scratch.

I'll post pics once received and installed. Wish me luck!

I bought one just like the one offered above by BMC off of E-bay for about $70. Fit was perfect and it protects the edge and looks great. I had stainless on the wife's CX-9 but it dented and someone caught an edge lifting it a bit. Could never get it quite right after that.

If you read the reviews on it, similar ones, and other products made of the same material, like the piece they show over the trim around the tailgate strike, you'll find complaints of it bending easily, and getting dented.
Well, I ordered one from Amazon and it's a Prime item, so I'll report back on it in a few days. If it's bad news bears, then I'll return it.

My dealer gave me an OEM one for free and installed it. You guys weren't lying, its just a thick decal.......I will be ordering a BMC here shortly. I am not crazy about the honeycomb design and would much prefer the raised slat design, but so be it. This will just have to be a case of function over form.

My dealer gave me an OEM one for free and installed it. You guys weren't lying, its just a thick decal.......I will be ordering a BMC here shortly. I am not crazy about the honeycomb design and would much prefer the raised slat design, but so be it. This will just have to be a case of function over form.
I felt the same way about the design, but I don't even notice it.

We live in a snowy climate and the BMC cover interferes with the tailgate opening. The cover is high quality, no problem with the quality and it is thick. When it snows, melts etc ice forms between the edge of the cover and the tailgate and prevents it from opening. A couple of times I had to pour hot water to melt the ice so it would open.. I had to remove the cover and once it warms up I have to take a heat gun and remove the adhesive strips that are stuck on the vehicle. I either have to remount the strip with the lip not right against the bumper or trim the cover so there is enough room for the tailgate to swing open.

Being a softball coach, I'm hauling gear in and out of the cargo area multiple times per week, and the rear bumper is often used as a handy spot to tie up cleats, so protecting the top edge of the bumper was a pretty important thing that the aftermarket OEM cover didn't address. I ordered a BMC protector before I took delivery on my 17 XLT, and installed it the day I brought her home. It was really easy to install, and does the job perfectly.

On a side note, my 2006 XLT had a very good bumper protector built in, so it was never a concern.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All, I am torn. I have read through all 9 pages of this thread and don't know what to do. I have a 2013 Exp XLT in dark graphite metallic gray. Love the truck. I too want some sort of rear bumper protection but just can't get used to and like the OEM bumper protection. Yes, I like the fact that is has the word Explorer on it, but it's thin and looks quite cheesy. So I like many others found and was going to order the BMC cover the lip bumper protector but was also surprised they had changed the design from lines to hexagons. I was able to get over that until I read a number of reviews etc that said it does not work with the automatic lift gate. Many reviews on this site say that it does, some say it doesn't and just a few threads above is a very good argument for not using the BMC item. I don't like the chrome versions on eBay and other sites. Are there absolutely no other options for a bumper cover that will cover the lip of the bumper and still render the automatic lift gate operable? Please help.

Back