• Register Today It's free!

Fishing Rod Holder Ideas

mjperk

Reaction score
City, State
Everett, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
I know that this has been somewhat covered in other posts, but after performing a forum search I am left without a solution. I am hoping somebody out there has a clever idea or knows of a product that will meet my needs. I am looking for a fishing rod holder to hold 2+ rods on the inside of my 2015 Explorer Limited, against the roof. Additionally, I have the following requirements:
-Must attach using non-permanent means such as screws, at least in places that are visible if the setup were removed.
-Must hold the rods securely enough so that they do not vibrate, make noise, swing into stuff, or do other obtrusive things while I drive down a gravel/mountain road. The rope/webbing ones make me nervous because I think they might be susceptible to this sort of thing.
-Must be minimally intrusive, which I know is pretty subjective. We'll have dogs in the back at the same time, so I don't want the poles to be whacking them or them to be at risk for getting a hook in them.

I'm open to buy or make, but am just struggling to find something that really tickles my fancy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really the first thing that pops to my mind is -- couldn't you just use some sort of roof rack container? I imagine you would want something secure that the rods wouldn't be visible.

Second idea if you want to MacGyver it, might be able to make use of the coat hooks that you could connect your bundle of fishing rods to. I could envision something like this:
  • Get a Styrofoam bed roll to roll up your fishing poles inside, like a burrito.
  • Get a couple bungie cords to keep the roll secure. And another bungie cord in the middle to connect the roll to a coat hook.
  • Make the roll just big enough so that you can wedge it between the top of your seats and the chassis... so it won't move around much.
That's my idea... no tools, no modifications. Seems like it could work. Might even work with passengers on that side.

I haven't fished in many years but when I did, all the rods I had could be taken apart so that they were in shorter lengths for storing/transporting.

Peter

I haven't fished in many years but when I did, all the rods I had could be taken apart so that they were in shorter lengths for storing/transporting.

Peter

Peter,
I'm sorry, but I am not able to make the connection on how this information is helpful for my situation. You are not providing a solution to my problem. I understand they can be taken apart, but that defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do entirely.

Really the first thing that pops to my mind is -- couldn't you just use some sort of roof rack container? I imagine you would want something secure that the rods wouldn't be visible.

Second idea if you want to MacGyver it, might be able to make use of the coat hooks that you could connect your bundle of fishing rods to. I could envision something like this:
  • Get a Styrofoam bed roll to roll up your fishing poles inside, like a burrito.
  • Get a couple bungie cords to keep the roll secure. And another bungie cord in the middle to connect the roll to a coat hook.
  • Make the roll just big enough so that you can wedge it between the top of your seats and the chassis... so it won't move around much.
That's my idea... no tools, no modifications. Seems like it could work. Might even work with passengers on that side.

Thanks, but I'm trying to keep it inside, as stated.

I did mean inside your car (2nd suggestion)

I was looking for a solution a while back. Came across this http://www.rodmounts.com/rod-up-for-cars/
I have a few 1pc rods so I understand what you want. Shouldn't be too hard to build something similar or just email them and ask if they still have any for sale. I solved my problem by buying a boat and using the rod locker :)

Sounds to me like a new product to invent. If you have a storage net in the back . Something like this could be used along the entire roof inside. I have not examined the roof for attachment but will. Could become a option some day.

I did mean inside your car (2nd suggestion)

That being said there is lots to be said about PVC tubing strapped to each roof rail with a cap on the front and a created reel container on the rear for maybe three units. Think Tupperware.

I am in the same boat so to say, I have a couple of one piece rods that are 7' and a 8' one piece fly rod that just won't fit inside the vehicle without causing problems for the occupants. My plan is to use PVC pip and fittings to build a rod holder for the outside of the Explorer. If you are worried about security with it there are ways to lock one or both ends of the pipe with different fittings. For the fittings you will need to find them at a specialty hardware store but they do make them.

not a very good idea for the person that started this thread, I hope you don't get hit with the fishing rod or the holder if a side airbag deploys. Use the roof rack or place them on the floor on the outside of the seats, between the body. Unless you are able to fabricate a flexible plastic tube that can be suspended near the top of the headliner AWAY from any safety devices and follows the contours of the roof in the center, only problem then would be if the color your choose for the rod holder will distract you.

I have to second the idea that outside the car would work better for you over all - and be easier to accomplish.

however that said - how long do you need - vs the length of the car from tailgate glass to windshield. IE is there enough room inside.

then following the idea of the guy that mentioned the bed roll/bungie cords - rig up some stiff wire to go over the coat hooks as sort of a latice. I'm thinking akin to a 1/8 inch style wire rig. Then you have something to hang off the hooks or take off.

then it's rigid, could be stable - secure. You might need to either weld,solider,braze the wire together in placed if that's a thing you can do. or use of those extruded AL square tube in places. that works well.

but - if you weren't using the rear seats - you could take off the head rests and rig up someting that set into those holes - using the seat for the support but lifting it up near the roof.

From the link in post 7

I really like this idea the best for inside rod storage. As Napalm suggested it uses the rear seat headrest(s) for a rod tip support.
Let's face it, if you are out fishing there is probably a lot of things in the back that will smack you if you had a crash. I think this is better than a bunch of fishing poles flying around also

However, there was no way to order this. I emailed them but have yet to get any response on it.

I was thinking, many years ago my dad used to just roll down one of the rear windows a little and then stick the rods out of it then roll the window back up to where it held the rods from moving around.

Think outside the box, so to speak. Its not exctly what you are looking for but, do you have running boards? One pvc pipe with screw caps on the back end for rod access, running under the vehicle, between the boards and chassis will provide enough storage for two rods in each tube. You have a bit over 6 ft to work with on each side. Obviously secure mounting is a must, but it's out of the way.

That being said there is lots to be said about PVC tubing strapped to each roof rail with a cap on the front and a created reel container on the rear for maybe three units. Think Tupperware.

I know there are some homemade and roof options, especially on the roof since I already have a full Whispbar rack mounted on the factory rails. I'm trying to avoid this for several reasons, the first of which is theft. I live in an area that would make me uneasy to leave some the rods out. I also go out into the wilderness frequently and might not want to hike all of the rods with me, so they'd be left behind for some passerby to snag. I could probably come up with a locking mechanism of sorts if I was desperate enough to go with the fully enclosed PVC option.

The next reason I don't want to mount of the roof is that I've already got two bike racks, two kayak racks, and two bike wheel holders mounted up there all at once. I'm running out of real estate, if I haven't done so already. I would also fear creaming a rod while putting a bike up there if it wasn't fully enclosed like some of the solutions other than a full PVC pipe.

The last reason, and one that I should have mentioned in my first post, is that I want it to look nice. As mentioned, I am open to making it myself and am pretty handy, but if I went that route I'd want it to look like an off-the-shelf product and I'm just not sure PVC would. In my mind, mounting a rod on the ceiling of the inside of the vehicle is the best option because the rods are secure from theft, out of the way, and theoretically/hopefully easy to take out/put in with minimal time.

I know I'm being picky about it. I think I'm just looking for a product that doesn't exist.

I am in the same boat so to say, I have a couple of one piece rods that are 7' and a 8' one piece fly rod that just won't fit inside the vehicle without causing problems for the occupants. My plan is to use PVC pip and fittings to build a rod holder for the outside of the Explorer. If you are worried about security with it there are ways to lock one or both ends of the pipe with different fittings. For the fittings you will need to find them at a specialty hardware store but they do make them.

My rods are 6.5' and will all fit. I'm being pretty difficult about this, I know, but I don't like the way PVC looks (tacky, imo) and am worried about security. I'm being pretty adamant that it mounts to the roof of the inside of the vehicle.

From the link in post 7

I really like this idea the best for inside rod storage. As Napalm suggested it uses the rear seat headrest(s) for a rod tip support.
Let's face it, if you are out fishing there is probably a lot of things in the back that will smack you if you had a crash. I think this is better than a bunch of fishing poles flying around also

However, there was no way to order this. I emailed them but have yet to get any response on it.

I really love the way the rear mounts because it is simple, looks good, and probably works well. However, I am not a fan of attaching the front to the headrest mounts. This is a rack that I'd probably leave in the car most of the time, and with all the seat folding, cargo hauling, and other stuff I do I fear it'd get in the way. Plus, my wife drives the car and there are different people in it a lot so I worry what would happen if you absent-mindedly tried to adjust the front seat with rods in the rack.

I wonder if there is a way to duplicate what they are doing in the rear for a second mounting location further up. Obviously, they are not using suction cups on the windows of the rear seats because they roll down and so mounting to the headrest accomplished the same thing. I may try to see if I can fabricate something with this as a starting point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not a very good idea for the person that started this thread, I hope you don't get hit with the fishing rod or the holder if a side airbag deploys. Use the roof rack or place them on the floor on the outside of the seats, between the body. Unless you are able to fabricate a flexible plastic tube that can be suspended near the top of the headliner AWAY from any safety devices and follows the contours of the roof in the center, only problem then would be if the color your choose for the rod holder will distract you.

I appreciate what you're saying, but am not that worried about it. If you are in a crash, a flexible fishing rod bopping you in the head will be the least of your concern. Of course there are many variables that play into a collision such as speed, deceleration (how soft the object you hit is), driver mass, etc.. A general back of the envelope calculation shows that for a 30mph crash, an average sized driver may experience as "little" as 3,000 pounds force, up to 24,000 pounds force for a particularly severe stop. That's just the force on the driver from the seat belt, steering wheel, airbag, or whatever stops their body. It's not a perfect calculation since it assumes the person's body is rigid and makes many assumptions, but is decent for an approximation.

The force from a fishing rod that was accelerated due to an airbag could be calculated using a similar method. However keep in mind that fishing rods also absorb energy, like many other things, and are in many ways designed to do so. Think about selecting the appropriate rod stiffness so you don't snap line. My math shows a typical rod would probably smack you with about 150 pounds of force. It'd hurt like Hell, sure.

My point is that a fishing rod is probably the least of my concern in a crash.

Back