Transmission Cooler | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Cooler

I'm still confused after reading all this. I have always added a cooler to my Explorers. I just bought what I think is a basic 2014 Explorer 4WD Flex fuel and 3.5 engine. No towing package, Just put on a hitch today. I was looking for the hoses to add a transmission cooler. I found a block on the drivers side front and they connect up to the top of the radiator on the drivers side with just some spring compression clamps. I assume these are the transmission lines. Just not used to this transverse engine. Surprised this is not a popular subject with this generation. Prior Explorers everyone was adding transmission coolers and external filters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After adding a trans cooler to my F150 I learned a lot- like it has an internal thermostat in the 6R80 trans. Does the Explorer's 6F55 have an internal cooler line thermostat as well?

After adding a trans cooler to my F150 I learned a lot- like it has an internal thermostat in the 6R80 trans. Does the Explorer's 6F55 have an internal cooler line thermostat as well?

Yes it does.

That's why you need to keep the heat up when using a cooler line fluid exchange machine.

I have them hook up the BG machine, and then set the parking brake, foot on brake pedal, shift to 'R', and run the engine at 2000 RPM during the procedure. It keeps the heat up spinning the torque converter to keep the thermostat open.

I just got a 2018 XLT 4WD, and had a 2014 SHO. The Explorer is like a big Taurus, with the same interior layout/button setup etc... I found this thread looking for info on an aux trans cooler. I saw 2 plastic "nuts" in the radiator, which is what we typically used for old school trans cooler installs, so it got me thinking if we really did have one. I can see the engine oil cooler on the front of the engine with the 2 coolant hoses running to it, typical Ford truck/SUV oil to water exchanger. The 4WD XLT w/ Tow Package (52T) does get the 6F55 (Trans Code of "C" on the door sticker).

The parts catalog showed that the Explorers with the 2nd aux trans cooler used a different hose assembly - so if you look by your airbox at the radiator, you would see 2 "T" fittings that send fluid to another cooler. On the non-aux cooler setups, those are just 2 regular hoses. The SHO has the aux cooler mounted at the front lower part of the grille (where a front-mounted intercooler typically gets installed).

The police vehicle brochure indicates that the Police Interceptors have an optional water PTU cooler recommended for vehicles used for EVOC courses or road racing. I've heard rumors about Ford engineers claiming the PTU oil gets cooked due to uneven tire wear (side to side).

Anyhow, the SHO has the 6F55 with 3.5L EcoBoost and the same RDU and PTU as the Explorer Sport, but it's a few hundred pounds lighter. Only the Performance Package SHO and Police Interceptor Sedan gets the liquid PTU cooler, engine oil cooler, and a 2nd aux trans cooler. My SHO didn't have the Performance Package, but I did a lot of datalogging while drag racing and testing it out. The trans fluid does get fairly hot in the summer, about 200F-210F or so, but the Dexron VI /Mercon LV fluid is very thin and is designed to handle this temperature. If the 6F55 in stock form can handle well over 500+ hp / ft-lb in these conditions, it "ought" to be fine for most stock applications.

The PTU is the tricky one. On my SHO, there was no passive duct or liquid cooler. At 20k miles, the 75W-140 gear oil was fairly cooked. I've seen rear differential oil at 100k miles that looked much better than this PTU gear oil. It was overly thick, pitch black, and just full of metal wear / carbon. I've read numerous reports of Police Interceptors WITH the liquid cooler where the axle seals were leaking/blown out due to overheating fluid, some that had to be scraped out. The Mazda CX-9, Ford Edge, Flex, and MKS also share the same PTU (not the Escape or Fusion/Edge) and suffer the same problems. I believe it is due to the proximity of the catalytic converter under the PTU, the constantly spinning PTU, and the low fluid capacity. On the liquid cooled PTUs, there should be a drain plug but the fill port is not there. It has to be filled in via the temp sensor if I recall correctly. On my SHO, there was no drain plug, so I had to siphon it out and then pump fresh fluid back in.

The engine oil cooler has me confused though. I'd think the EcoBoost wants the oil to be further cooled because of the turbochargers as they can get very hot. Maybe because the turbos are also water cooled that they felt the engine oil cooler was only needed on the Police Interceptors and tow packages?

I did numerous UOAs on the show and found that 7000-7500 mile oil change intervals were necessary on the EcoBoost due to Group III-IV synthetic 5W-30s breaking down to a xW-15 or xW-20 at that point, and the TBN getting fairly low. Some theories were floating around regarding cylinder wash down due to the direct injection, but based on my personal UOA results, I'd stick with a 7500 mile oil change interval max regardless of whether it is synthetic, unless using a Group V synthetic that is rated for Extended Performance and even then 10k miles might be stretching it.

PTU on the current Explorer Sport is same water-cooled PTU that the PI Utility and Sedan uses.

i have a 2016 explorer and i am putting a hitch on it to tow a camper. Does it come with a transmission cooler, or should i put one on. I called 3 different dealerships and got 3 different answers. One told me it's an option with the towing package from the factory. Another one told me it's tied into the air conditioning condensor and that it's standard.

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry I can not answer your question. Did you look for an external cooler?.

I'm surprised no one has chimed in yet with a definitive answer.

I have a 2018 XLT 3.5L V6 AWD with the Towing Package. What the Towing Package adds is an engine oil cooler and a duct to flow air to the PTU. It does not add a transmission oil cooler or any other coolers. Surprising isn't it? It doesn't even add heavy-duty rear brakes. Your 2016 is most likely the same.

The stock transmission oil cooler looks like it is integrated with the A/C condenser. I followed the lines as best as I could but it gets blocked by a lot of stuff. If it is anything like the Taurus/SHO, the top several rows of the A/C condenser are the transmission oil cooler. There's a thermostatic valve in the circuit that controls flow to help warm up the ATF when it is cold. I'm really disappointed in this design.

On the SHO w/o Perf Pkg, it doesn't add the PTU cooler or additional trans cooler. You need to get the Perf Pkg to get an extra ATF cooler that is situated behind the lower air dam opening. The PTU cooler routes coolant to the PTU but based on the number of PTU failures with Police Interceptors with the optional PTU cooler, it's not rectifying the design flaw.

Coincidentally my Fusion Sport comes with 2 trans coolers. One sits behind the air dam opening below the fog light (very cool design) and the other sits on top of the transmission and routes engine coolant to it. This helps warm it up faster and regulates temperature. Unfortunately it will never allow it to run much cooler than the ECT. The Fusion Sport also coolant going to the PTU (different design from Taurus/Explorer. No engine oil cooler was included (Only F-150 trucks w/ the 2.7 seem to have the engine oil cooler).

i have a 2016 explorer and i am putting a hitch on it to tow a camper. Does it come with a transmission cooler, or should i put one on. I called 3 different dealerships and got 3 different answers. One told me it's an option with the towing package from the factory. Another one told me it's tied into the air conditioning condensor and that it's standard.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't believe yours has a transmission cooler since it does not have the factory tow package. Also, keep in mind that with an aftermarket tow installation you are limited to towing 2000 lbs. The factory tow package includes a bigger radiator, oil cooler, different alternator, different transmission and also has the tow/sway button that regulates the transmission's shifting pattern when towing. It also has a cooling duct under the vehicle that draws air from a cutout in the front bumper valance to help cool the PTU.

Peter

..........The engine oil cooler has me confused though. I'd think the EcoBoost wants the oil to be further cooled because of the turbochargers as they can get very hot. Maybe because the turbos are also water cooled that they felt the engine oil cooler was only needed on the Police Interceptors and tow packages?...........
It has been mentioned here a few times that the lower air duct is used to cool the rear turbo on the Ecoboost engines.

Peter

Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

It has been mentioned here a few times that the lower air duct is used to cool the rear turbo on the Ecoboost engines.

Peter

I guess that's also why the lower belly pan of the SHO is designed that way, to help air go up for the rear turbo and PTU. I have that duct on my N/A 3.5 XLT w/ Tow Package. Only thing I can see it doing is route air to the PTU. It's obviously a band aid budget hail mary attempt by Ford.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't believe yours has a transmission cooler since it does not have the factory tow package. Also, keep in mind that with an aftermarket tow installation you are limited to towing 2000 lbs. The factory tow package includes a bigger radiator, oil cooler, different alternator, different transmission and also has the tow/sway button that regulates the transmission's shifting pattern when towing. It also has a cooling duct under the vehicle that draws air from a cutout in the front bumper valance to help cool the PTU.

Peter

The 6F55 is included with the tow package, same transmission on the SHO, Fusion Sport, etc... The "Tow" shift schedule doesn't regulate anything, it just has a different shift schedule. It won't let you shift into 6th gear. Interesting tidbit for those that don't make your own tunes, Ford really screwed up some of the shift scheduling on the 16-19 Explorers (maybe even earlier) to include the Police Interceptor Utility. It's like they were starting off and then gave up halfway. Anyhow, here's a screenshot of the normal mode vs Tow mode shift scheduling. Those numbers in the cells are Output Shaft Speed (OSS) so the 5-6 will be in 1:1 (engine RPM)

I just learned the other day from the Facebook groups that Sand Mode is actually the preferred "launch mode" because of its shift schedule. It keeps the RPMs very high, like Sport mode but on Steroids, and it disables traction control automatically. So instead of messing with the driver menu, 2 turns of the terrain management dial turns off traction control.

To answer the OP's question, no there's no bad ass auxiliary transmission oil cooler with the factory tow package. If there was, I'm not seeing it and I followed the oil hoses as much as I could without tearing it all apart - it's about the same as my SHO w/o the Perf Pkg. The Perf Pkg aux trans cooler sits at the lower air dam (where an intercooler would normally be found on a typical turbocharged vehicle, like the Fusion Sport or Focus RS)

Attachments

• XLT Tow.JPG
    XLT Tow.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 63
  • XLT Tow 2.JPG
    XLT Tow 2.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 82

The tow package includes an engine oil cooler. By regulating the transmission shift pattern I meant it reduces transmission upshifting and provides engine braking. More or less what you mentioned by changing the 'schedule'.

Peter

The tow package includes an engine oil cooler. By regulating the transmission shift pattern I meant it reduces transmission upshifting and provides engine braking. More or less what you mentioned by changing the 'schedule'.

Peter

It just doesn't let you shift into 6th so you're not hunting on the freeway. The rest of the schedule looks similar to Normal mode.

I'm not sure the engine oil cooler does a whole lot for the N/A vehicles but it sure is nice to have. The SHO doesn't have one and its got 2 turbochargers to lube/cool. GM puts an oil cooler on its GTDI engines though. The F-150 2.7 EcoBoost gets an engine oil cooler, but the same engine in the Fusion Sport/Edge Sport/ST doesn't have one. Very different philosophies between OEMs even though they may be using the same brand of turbochargers.

Back