Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 106 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
The rotten egg smell is not uncommon, I've had it from other cars. It's the cats, and not necessarily anything wrong.

Here's a link to one explanation

http://www.swri.org/10light/catalyst.htm

Thanks for the link. Due to the smell I had already assumed it was something to do with the Cats and them not liking when we give it the full beans haha. I don't think it is anything serious as it is only under hard accel. I certainly don't smell exhaust under normal driving or at highway speeds which is good. I guess it is just unpleasant and I have never had any of my cars new or old have that rotten egg/sulfur catalytic converter smell come into the cabin under hard acceleration.
Your exhaust is being drawn into the cabin from the auxiliary cooling unit and it only happens when negative air pressure is created inside cabin which then creates a "vacuum like" situation drawing the fumes in. Ford knows all of this but tries to make you believe exhaust gases are harmless do to low levels.............which is not true. In 40 years of driving this is the only vehicle I have owned this scenario has ever occurred. Exhaust fumes are not harmless..............PERIOD.

Thanks. Guess I will start pestering them about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This isn't normal. I had a news crew do a carbon monoxide test in my vehicle. You can see the results in the video. Levels exceeded 20ppm. All other cars they tested didn't go above 1 ppm.

Yeah I saw the news clip. I just wasn't sure if it was the same as what I was experiencing. I will bring it up at the next service and see what they say although I am sure they will try to pass it off as a non issue and do nothing.

This isn't normal. I had a news crew do a carbon monoxide test in my vehicle. You can see the results in the video. Levels exceeded 20ppm. All other cars they tested didn't go above 1 ppm.

I didn't see any clips of the ppm readings...did I miss something?

It's a part of the video. Around minute 3:50
Oh, I meant actual footage of the readings inside of the vehicle. No good seeing a unit in the reporters hands, when it would have been more incriminating inside the vehicle.

(2015 Limited) On hard acceleration mine smells 100% like super glue, very nauseating!

My '14 has been doing it since day 1, 25K miles on it now, I reported it to NHTSA, got a confirmation back. Ford dealer has not performed any of the suggested repairs as they all seem to not correct the problem.

TB

I have owned (bought new) my 2015 for about 1 1/2 years and have put up with the smell until I need to bring it in for something else,,,, Thanks to this web site I just found out that this is a ongoing dangerous problem.

Sure explains the migraines & churning stomach on the long trips!

Just wondering if anyone knows the details of the Florida Class action settlement yet?

I have owned (bought new) my 2015 for about 1 1/2 years and have put up with the smell until I need to bring it in for something else,,,, Thanks to this web site I just found out that this is a ongoing dangerous problem.

Sure explains the migraines & churning stomach on the long trips!

Just wondering if anyone knows the details of the Florida Class action settlement yet?
I'm sure it will be on the Internet. I just did a quick search and there seem to be several actions against Ford.
Here is just one of them; https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=..._vg2RQRSyiKkzHVaQ&sig2=G_vYHeDn-PD1OcFEIDid0Q

Peter

Well my 2017 got the dreaded rotten egg smell.......... I wasmerging into traffic on the interstate when it hit.......

After 4 years now and barely 39,000kms, our EX Limited still gets that smell under WOT. As soon as we reach >3500RPM and/or constant speeds of 120-140kmh, we get that exhaust smell. The best description I can give is that it smells like a bad vapor of fuel combined with burnt plastic. The smell is sharper that Diesel exhaust fumes. At least Diesel Exhaust fumes you can tell right away. This smell gets all sorts of description judging from the start of the posts.

To avoid this smell, we minimize the sudden acceleration. If we have to, then we crack the windows open for a few minutes to get that smell out. Imagine opening the windows in a 3rd world country like the Philippines.

Now, my 4 year old daughter associates our EX with the bad smell. She always says: "Papa, your car smells bad." I actually agree. There is that smell that we can't even mask. It lingers. Worst, the rear vents seem to have that rubber hose smell since have owned the EX. I have done all the TSBs for the odors. Natta...zilch...zero result.

At least my dealer has been honest about the faulty design and the lack of 100% solution. I was hoping that after 4 years, FORD would something to fix this...

Mine has had this issue from day one. I didnt bother to take it in as so many have been with out a vehicle for weeks only to have the problem not fixed. My faith in Ford is really low.

I own (sort of) a new 2016 Explorer. I do not know how many other people have had this issue: CO2 or some sort of exhaust coming into the cabin after revving up your vehicle past 3000 RPM (such as passing another vehicle or coming onto the interstate and needing to accelerate).

My main question is: Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution?

I have relied on Ford and the dealership that sold me the vehicle for answers, but they seem as lost as some of us owners are. My vehicle has been at the dealership for over 90 days straight, plus a few visits before this long stay at the Ford Inn, as I call it now. I have had rental SUVs for this long, and I don't even remember what my vehicle looks like.

If you're not aware of what is going on with this issue, see the following:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ooh-that-smell-nhtsa-investigates-ford-explorer-exhaust-leaks/
http://www.classaction.org/explorer-exhaust-leaks

Of course, the 2016 model is not listed in the lawsuit, I estimate because the suit initiated before the vehicle hit the streets in 2015.

Also, this issue seems to affect F150 models.

So far there has not been a recall.

I spoke to the dealership a few days ago. They have replaced the exhaust three times, have test-driven it a bunch more, have had other non-Ford experts come in to look at it and found nothing. At this point, I am concerned that the vehicle is not going to return to me in the pristine condition it was when I delivered it to the dealership.

In Virginia, there is a law that entitles the buyer to a refund. My next step this week is to go through the Better Business Bureau to begin the third-party negotiations. If that does not work, I will have to hire an attorney and see this through. According to the law, I am entitled to a full refund, to include interests paid on the vehicle and any additions I have made to it that cannot be returned to me, if the vehicle has been more than 30 days in the shop, if there is a serious concern that was not fixed on the first visit, or if the vehicle has been repaired without success three times. I am three for three... :-(

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodepopularnames/motor-vehicle-warranty-enforcement-act

Ford also has a buyback program for instances like this. Yes, I attempted it, but I did not pass their "good faith review." I requested a copy of such review and its detailed results to no avail. They won't even submit my request to their legal department because I am not represented by an attorney.

Please advise if you have found, or someone you know has found, a solution to this issue so that I may advise Ford, since they have no clue...

I should have stayed with Dodge (which is, by the way, the rental I have had for 2 months and it is pretty darn good!).

Thanks.

I own (sort of) a new 2016 Explorer. I do not know how many other people have had this issue: CO2 or some sort of exhaust coming into the cabin after revving up your vehicle past 3000 RPM (such as passing another vehicle or coming onto the interstate and needing to accelerate).

I have relied on Ford and the dealership that sold me the vehicle for answers, but they seem as lost as some of us owners are. My vehicle has been at the dealership for over 90 days straight, plus a few visits before this long stay at the Ford Inn, as I call it now. I have had rental SUVs for this long, and I don't even remember what my vehicle looks like.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ooh-that-smell-nhtsa-investigates-ford-explorer-exhaust-leaks/

Of course, the 2016 model is not listed in the lawsuit, I estimate because the suit initiated before the vehicle hit the streets in 2015.

I spoke to the dealership a few days ago. They have replaced the exhaust three times, have test-driven it a bunch more, have had other local, non-Ford experts come in to look at it and found nothing. At this point, I am concerned that the vehicle is not going to return to me in the pristine condition it was when I delivered it to the dealership.

In Virginia, there is a law that entitles the buyer to a refund. My next step this week is to go through the Better Business Bureau to begin the third-party negotiations. If that does not work, I will have to hire an attorney and see this through. According to the law, I am entitled to a full refund, to include interests paid on the vehicle and any additions I have made to it that cannot be returned to me, if the vehicle has been more than 30 days in the shop, if there is a serious concern that was not fixed on the first visit, or if the vehicle has been repaired without success three times. I am three for three... :-(

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodepopularnames/motor-vehicle-warranty-enforcement-act

Ford also has a buyback program for instances like this. Yes, I attempted it, but I did not pass their "good faith review." I requested a copy of such review and its detailed results to no avail. They won't even submit my request to their legal department because I am not represented by an attorney.

Please advise if you have found, or someone you know has found, a solution to this issue so that I may advise Ford, since they have no clue...

I should have stayed with Dodge (which is, by the way, the rental I have had for 2 months and it is pretty darn good!).

Thanks.

I spoke to the dealership a few days ago. They have replaced the exhaust three times, have test-driven it a bunch more, have had other local, non-Ford experts come in to look at it and found nothing. At this point, I am concerned that the vehicle is not going to return to me in the pristine condition it was when I delivered it to the dealership.

Thanks.

not sure if you've noticed the post with 600,000 views or 2000+ messages from under the rock....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...st-smell-in-cabin-during-acceleration.323597/

Thanks for letting me know. I am not too familiar with Ford and this blog, since I never before made the mistake to obtain a Ford SUV. (and I will not again)

I did crawl from under a rock - I have never had to seek assistance like this with my SUVs before (or any other vehicle - perhaps because I had not owned a Ford before. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me know. I am not too familiar with Ford and this blog, since I never before made the mistake to obtain a Ford SUV. (and I will not again)

I did crawl from under a rock - I have never had to seek assistance like this with my SUVs before (or any other vehicle - perhaps because I had not owned a Ford before. Thanks.

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.... it is a wealth of information.

The Ex is still new to me, and I've been tracking fuel economy. Last two tanks I've used premium instead of regular. Economy nudged up a little (but not enough to cover the cost), but I've noticed even under heavy acceleration, I've not had any fumes in car on Premium. This is surely unrelated, but has anyone observed anything similar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Ex is still new to me, and I've been tracking fuel economy. Last two tanks I've used premium instead of regular. Economy nudged up a little (but not enough to cover the cost), but I've noticed even under heavy acceleration, I've not had any fumes in car on Premium. This is surely unrelated, but has anyone observed anything similar?

My other three vehicles, including my Sport are only filled with 91 and they all produce the rotten egg smell during WOT.
I've been smelling rotten eggs since the early 90s and feel that this is normal and would you expece less when you are going WOT and putting full load on the engine?

Back