Buffeting/Loose Sound - 2017 Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Buffeting/Loose Sound - 2017 Platinum

Todd7446

Reaction score
City, State
Valdosta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 Explorer Platinum
Just got my '17 Platinum on Monday and love it. You may have seen my other thread on trouble programming the Homelink buttons, but that is resolved now. Now I have what I'd call a minor inconvenience. I'll be setting up an appointment with the Service department to have it checked, but wondered if anyone else had experienced something similar.

While at highway speeds, I've got a slight buffeting/loose sound that seems to come from the right front. No vibration, and haven't found anything physically loose. Have to turn the radio off to really hear it, so it isn't terribly loud. Anyone have something like this before, and what was it? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got my '17 Platinum on Monday and love it. You may have seen my other thread on trouble programming the Homelink buttons, but that is resolved now. Now I have what I'd call a minor inconvenience. I'll be setting up an appointment with the Service department to have it checked, but wondered if anyone else had experienced something similar.

While at highway speeds, I've got a slight buffeting/loose sound that seems to come from the right front. No vibration, and haven't found anything physically loose. Have to turn the radio off to really hear it, so it isn't terribly loud. Anyone have something like this before, and what was it? Thanks.

Its your windshield cowl vibrating. There is a TSB for it (http://ford.oemdtc.com/1074/whistle...wl-panel-grille-cover-2011-2016-ford-explorer). Glad to hear that Ford still can't get this right off the manufacturing line.

Hmmm. Printed that out and will take with me to the service department. Thanks.

Hmmm. Printed that out and will take with me to the service department. Thanks.

If you want to know for sure tape the cowl and go for a drive on the highway. Mine had this problem and thats what i did. Had the TSB performed and now no buffeting or vibrating

Congratulations on your new Explorer, Todd7446!

When did you set up that service appointment for? Please send over a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer; I'll see how I can also assist with quieting the noise.

Rachel

Congratulations on your new Explorer, Todd7446!

When did you set up that service appointment for? Please send over a PM with your full name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer; I'll see how I can also assist with quieting the noise.

Rachel

PM sent. Thanks for your help.

Just want to remind you that the reps won't be back until Tuesday.

Peter
Understood. The vehicle is with the dealer and their service department isn't open until Tuesday either.

I need to get mine fixed as well.

PM sent. Thanks for your help.

It's my pleasure, Todd7446! I responded just a little bit ago. :)

Just want to remind you that the reps won't be back until Tuesday.

Peter

Thanks for looking out for us, Peter! :D

I need to get mine fixed as well.

Let's see how I can help, Nasty! Please send me a PM with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealer. Is your Explorer experiencing the sound as well?

Rachel

Sorry for not giving feedback. Long story short, the root cause was something much simpler. The factory (or dealership?) installed roof rack crossbar brackets weren't tightened down on the passenger side. There was enough play for them to vibrate at highway speed. Once I got them tightened down, the noise has stopped.

Sorry for not giving feedback. Long story short, the root cause was something much simpler. The factory (or dealership?) installed roof rack crossbar brackets weren't tightened down on the passenger side. There was enough play for them to vibrate at highway speed. Once I got them tightened down, the noise has stopped.
Thanks for reporting back. That is a new 'condition' not reported here before. Something to add to items to check.

Peter

I have a 2017 sport with 450 miles on it i am getting a moderate vibration i feel all thru the truck and buffeting sound like when you open a rear window just a little when your on the highway both happen at speeds of 50 to 65 on the highway i have tried to pinpoint where it might come from i think its the tires maybe a slight flat spot or a rebalance is needed i have tried putting it in neutral and coasting to see if it was drive shaft related no change i see this seems like a common problem in this form i dont have roof rack crossbars so rule that out i will pop the hood and check the cowel out then i am just going to bring it to the dealer...

I have a 2017 sport with 450 miles on it i am getting a moderate vibration i feel all thru the truck and buffeting sound like when you open a rear window just a little when your on the highway both happen at speeds of 50 to 65 on the highway i have tried to pinpoint where it might come from i think its the tires maybe a slight flat spot or a rebalance is needed i have tried putting it in neutral and coasting to see if it was drive shaft related no change i see this seems like a common problem in this form i dont have roof rack crossbars so rule that out i will pop the hood and check the cowel out then i am just going to bring it to the dealer...

Come join the convo over here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/is-this-vibration-normal.313947/page-13

Back