Sport Blowing white smoke??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Blowing white smoke???

Wonder if it was condensation in the mufflers. You said you were idling for an hour, correct? Maybe that caused condensation to collect in the exhaust(mostly muffler) and when you started to drive, it heated the exhaust system up and "burned off" the water.
Im guessing that this is what it had to be... water burning off... still have not been able to recreate the original problem... Car has been to dealer for a oil change and a check up and nothing was found to be wrong... I also just got back from Bowling Green, KY and i towed my 87 Buick grand National whick put me right at the 5k towing limit and she ran great... No issues...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my wife calls me yesterday and says that her Explorer (2015 Explorer Sport 29K miles) Is spewing smoke . So I am trying to get the details of color , smell .

She says its definitely not black smoke , definitely not blue , certainly not white . The smell is kinda like something burning .. plastic maybe . Mainly coming out the driver side exhaust . Definitely from the tail pipe, not like a plastic bag getting stuck to the cat

No CEL , no warning lights at all , no noticeable performance issues .

Basically tell her to call the dealer , and take it in .

As she is driving to the dealer she says its smoking enough that she can't see out the back window . Its about 7 miles to the dealer , as she gets up to high speed the smoke dissipates some .

By the time she's at the dealer , it's not smoking any more .

Dealer gives it a good once over, check for leaks , revs it for a while , no smoke . She had filled up the night before from not a usual gas station. Dealer says maybe there was something bad in the gas ?

I checked it over last night , pulled the dipstick , oil looked and smelled ok . Basically doing all the headgasket type checks I can think of.

She's put on another 15-20 miles since with no issues .

Any other idea of what it could be ? Bad gas make sense at all to you ?

I don't think it would be bad gas. If it was I would think it should still be doing it and you would have other indications as well.:dunno:

Peter

Curious... maybe something as simple as a foreign object like a plastic bag caught up in the exhaust that then freed itself?

Curious... maybe something as simple as a foreign object like a plastic bag caught up in the exhaust that then freed itself?
He mentioned it was coming from the tailpipes and wasn't a plastic bag. A temporary engine item malfunction like suggested above may explain it. At least it seems to be back to normal now.

Peter

Oil level is fine , probably 75 more miles and no smoke since.

Just had timing chain replaced because of P0016 code. Has the water pump done at the same time. A week later I smell hot
Coolant in my garage. Hmm? Coolant is a little low too. Next day my vehicle is blowing white smoke from the exhaust.

2013 ex sport. 93k miles

I would stop driving it and take it back to the shop that did your work. White smoke means coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and with that and your other symptoms coming right after they did the water pump my guess is something wasn't done correctly.

Now a week later white smoke coming from exhaust. ???[/QUOTE]
I looked it up on the Internet and if it is continuous it may not be a good sign. There are several items on that issue ranging from minor to major.
One of the main causes of white exhaust smoke and coolant loss is a cracked or warped cylinder head, a cracked engine block, or head gasket failure caused by overheating. A cracked head may allow coolant to leak into one or more cylinders or into the combustion chamber of the engine.
http://carsdirect.com/car-repair/causes-of-white-exhaust-smoke
It sound like it could be related to the repair you had done.

Peter

That's exactly what I did. I noticed it about 3 mikes from the dealer. Took it right back. Their initial diagnosis is a stick injector which I call BS. I've never once smelled extra gas ever.

I know this thread fell off but anymore info? Our 2013 sport did it the otherday then again tonight both times after idleing for around 30 minutes first. Sells clean maybe a little oily, but it is definitely white/gray. At idle only seems to come from druvers side under slight rev both side, and with moderate acceleration it spits out a good bit but then about 5 miles later it was all gone. It has 110k miles and has had for a little while had an intermittent issue with loss of boost. I never can figure out why befire it goes away. Any ideas guys. Im leaning towards bad turbo or turbos or possibly headgasket.

I'm also in the camp of thinking it's something wrong with the turbo or turbo assembly. Having owned a turbo way back when, smoke was always sign it had gone or was going bad, usually coupled with loss of boost.

Any chance you have smelled the smoke? Does it smell sweet like coolant or like burning oil?

It really doesnt have a scent its maybe a little gas scented not sweet or like coolant and not loke oil either. My first thought when my wife first saw it and told me was condensation and there is alot of moisture coming out of the exhaust but its smoke not steam it lingers and doesnt disapate like steam does

Airaid CAI with LMS Tune
Was parked with engine running for under 10 minutes in 99 degree TX weather. Turned off engine and restarted 3-4 minutes later to move to different parking space, friend told me white smoke was coming out of exhaust/tailpipes. Turned off engine immediately and did not restart until 6 hours later 9PM. Friend followed me home but did not notice white smoke this time. Runs fine with no engine or error codes. Engine temp is fine as well. Friend told me it had to be coolant leaking into heads. If this was the case wouldn't it show signs of engine temp or performance issues?

Airaid CAI with LMS Tune
Was parked with engine running for under 10 minutes in 99 degree TX weather. Turned off engine and restarted 3-4 minutes later to move to different parking space, friend told me white smoke was coming out of exhaust/tailpipes. Turned off engine immediately and did not restart until 6 hours later 9PM. Friend followed me home but did not notice white smoke this time. Runs fine with no engine or error codes. Engine temp is fine as well. Friend told me it had to be coolant leaking into heads. If this was the case wouldn't it show signs of engine temp or performance issues?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Friend told me white smoke was coming out of exhaust/tailpipes. Friend told me it had to be coolant leaking into heads. If this was the case wouldn't it show signs of engine temp or performance issues?

It really depends how much coolant was leaking or not. Check your coolant overflow tank and you should be able to tell if there is any loss of coolant. If no loss of coolant, your probably back to diagnosing the turbos.

Back