Hood Struts ?? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hood Struts ??

Wow- Redline is in my town. I will get in touch with them this Fall...

Nice! I have Redline Hood Struts on my other vehicles as does my daughter/son-in-law. They are an outstanding company with an equally outstanding product.
In the same town and willing to do this, awesome, can't wait!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have MRT struts on my Cobra and they are phenomenal. They also require no drilling and mount using existing holes. Redline is also good.

My '16 did not come with hood struts, it felt like a cheap cop-out considering the sticker price.

You can't be serious? How many owners do you think really care how the hood is propped up? Doesn't cheapen the vehicle in any way in my opinion. Too many nit picky people demanding "perfection".....please be mindful that it also starts off as a $30K vehicle...I suppose you feel that a $30K vehicle should also have struts....
I would buy them if I could find them. It's something that makes the car a bit nicer IMO. I've also seen people knock the hood prop out and have the hood fall on them. The last car I had without struts was a 14 Mustang. I added a set of struts and was really happy with the results.

Hopefully redline comes out with some nicer hood struts for our explorer!
After seeing this, I emailed Redline and just received a response.
"We know – this one has evaded us and been missed multiple times. We are hoping to get this one done before the end of the year".
Brian

Redline Tuning

After seeing this, I emailed Redline and just received a response.
"We know – this one has evaded us and been missed multiple times. We are hoping to get this one done before the end of the year".
Brian

Redline Tuning

Great news. Send them this thread. I'm sure it would be a hugely popular product especially since they'd be the only game in town.

color me intrigued. I hope they also take a moment to raise the hood up a few more inches with their struts. since they won't be limited by the length of the prop rod vs the width of it's stowage point.

I would buy a resonably priced kit.

I'm not usually one to stray far from stock, I usually just buy the top of the line production vehicle and then maintain the crap out of it, keep it for ten years and then, while it's still looking and driving like new, upgrade to a newer vehicle. . . But this is a modification I'd install in a heartbeat. I have to admit, this was probably the one deficiency of the Explorer, especially at the Platinum trim level, that however small, disappointed me. I mean my wife's Kia Soul has hood struts, as did my Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland way back in 2004!

They look interesting,looks easy to install and ships from China-bummer.

Id like to try it but China and 140 seems a bit much but maybe not..

The Redline Tuning ones, their top of the line stainless, are only $130. . . Now all they need to do is make the kit for the Explorer. Where did this end up anyway? Looking at the earlier messages it looked like there were going to get to this in the fall.

I'll wait for the Redline kit over the Chinese ebay kit.

My Explorer won't even be built until mid-November, so I can stand to wait a little longer, I guess. Already have the snow tires on rims sitting in the garage for it!

Okay, so opened the hood on our new Explorer Platinum yesterday. Shocking to be honest. What's up with the bar to hold up the hood, on a $54k vehicle. Really surprised that's where they decided to save some money.

You're complaining about a hood prop.
Wait until you start getting the real problems.

Its really embarrassing when you show people your engine so I try to avoid that. I've noticed that struts are always a pain, they stiffen up or loosen depending on temperature, maybe if the hood had power operated struts it would be okay, but seems like a waste.

Our 2008 Saturn Vue XR had hood struts. They suck. Had two sets go out in four years, and they are about $40 each. It now has a junk yard Ranger prop with the struts removed. How often do you open the hood?

Its sad to see how the Explorer has been so wussiefied over the years that new owners are complaining about the lack of struts. When my Explorer was new in 1994, it was a little over $28,000. Factor in inflation, the cost is about the same as a new 2017 model. No hood struts, no one cared.

You should really be complaining that its still labelled as a SUV, since it is more like a mini-van now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back