p0405 Code (I searched, I swear!!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

p0405 Code (I searched, I swear!!)

pirth

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer V8
I have an 03 Eddie Bauer Explorer with 93k. 4.6L V8. Last week, we noticed the CEL on and fortunately I have a code reader.

The code is a p0405. Google gave me a couple of answers.
Clean the MAF (I did) No difference)
Check or replace EGR (have not done yet).

My question(s):
On the 03 v8, where is the damn EGR?
Has anyone else had this code?
Want to buy it?

Thanks!

-J

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are brave

I believe it is in the corner of the engine compartment on the passenger side.
I'm not fond of link chasing, but if it works, it works... The wonderful people who provided this information will know if this applies to your vehicle...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164517

You made me laugh, that can be tough to do... your intro is hilarious!! :D

Thanks for the info.. I have some reading to do.
It's hard to complain, the truck's been great to me thus far...

-J

No problem...

If you can, please post pics of the item from your vehicle... Thanks!

This code is the equivalent of the earlier code P1400. It is different from the P0401 and P0402 codes that relate to flowrate commanded vs flowrate measured.

P0405 is for a purely electrical fault in the EGR flow sensor circuit that puts the voltage input to the PCM completely out of the acceptable range (in this case, lower than allowable).

Replacing mechanical parts like the EGR valve will not fix it and the MAF sensor input to the PCM is entirely unrelated to this code.

Fords have either a DPFE sensor or, in some newer models, an EGR System Module (ESM) to measure the EGR flow rate and report it to the PCM. I don't know which system is on your 2003 Ex but the fault is either in the sensor/module itself or, less likely, an open or short circuit in the wiring between it and the PCM.

Thanks. I'll try to check this before turkey day. I'll measure out the sensors and see what they should be vs. what they are. That should get me started in the right direction. I'll verify the vacuum lines as well.

-J

They know best ^^

Since you're waiting, what gas do you use? This might have nothing to do with it, but if you don't use techron in your gas, try it. Fill up on Chevron if it's available... It helps prevent rough idle and keeps lines clean.

did you ever solve your p0405 code?? I've got the same one and am trying to troubleshoot it.

thanks

Fords have either a DPFE sensor or, in some newer models, an EGR System Module (ESM) to measure the EGR flow rate and report it to the PCM. I don't know which system is on your 2003 Ex but the fault is either in the sensor/module itself or, less likely, an open or short circuit in the wiring between it and the PCM.

Rwenzig's post was right on! I replaced the dpfe sensor. (Must stand for Doh! Pretty F'n expensive) sensor. It took all of 12.6 minutes to replace and it shut the light off (check engine light) immediately.

Now I have a door that thinks it's a jar all the time and it's killing the battery. OY!!!

Now I have a door that thinks it's a jar all the time and it's killing the battery. OY!!!

Have you searched that? I dunno if it applies to yours, but a lot of people have had great success spraying electrical cleaner into the mechanical part of the door lock (they say the switch is now in the latch)....

good luck

-Shawn

Door Ajar

I had this happen about a year ago and did some research myself. Found a posting that said that there could be a cut wire in the door. I checked the wiring harness in the driver's side door (between the door and the body) and found one wire cut. I repaired the cut wire and the problem was solved, the idea of spraying the latches with cleaner or WD40 is also a good idea and was easier to try first that looking for the broken wire. Good Luck.

Rwenzig's post was right on! I replaced the dpfe sensor. (Must stand for Doh! Pretty F'n expensive) sensor. It took all of 12.6 minutes to replace and it shut the light off (check engine light) immediately.

Hey thanks guys... My 03 Explorer P0405 code just came on also... So thanks for the info... I'll order the sensor tonight....

thanks for info gentlemen,,my 03xlt has po405 also. supperdude

Hey guys, I had the p0404 code on my 2003 v8, I changed the DPFE sensor and the light came off by it self on the next day. I was happy with that but a week later the engine light came on again with the code p0405 also related to the EGR. What should I look now? The wiring? The vacuum lines?

Also at the same time I got the code p0430, can they be related?

I had all of those codes, and it ended up being the IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE. I took it off cleaned it out (filled with oil/carbon residue). I used Electric parts cleaner for $5.00 or $6.00 and have put 40k miles on it and not a cel since! 15 minute fix!

Back