• Register Today It's free!

2008 Mountaineer Front Diff.

stuartr

Reaction score
City, State
Richlands, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
My front end has been making a noise for some time. I have replaced both wheel bearings and both cv axles. So I am convinced it is the Diff. I have found another differential that I can get for a decent price. I think it should interchange but just wanted to make sure. My ride is a 08 mounty AWD and the replacement is out of a I think 04 explorer the is 4*4. I will attach a pic of the 2 sticker plates off the axles so that you can look. They are both 3.55 gear but didn't know if there is anything else you have to make sure of where going from a 4x4 to AWD.
Thanks
IMG_20161001_181135810.jpg
']
IMG_20161001_181135810.jpg
[/URL]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you do that, check the front differential u joint. I was about to do same thing as you, I even listened to the front differential making noise with my stethoscope and car in the air, running in 4x4 mode. I removed the front driveshaft, and the noise was gone, so I looked at the front ujoint and it was seized but was transferring the noise to the carrier.

The front U Joint was replace a while back early in the hunt for what is causing this horrible sound. I will recheck it though thanks for reminding me I am so sick of dealing with this thing. It is making a bad whoo whoo noise that is the worst between 20 and 55mph. I hate to spend the $$$ on it really. I am gonna trade it soon but I will get more out of it minus this go awful sound. I can't wait ti be rid of this thing.

I replaced mine a year ago, and I am starting to hear the whoo whoo between 25-40 again. Already replaced the front left half axle last weekend since it was coming from there,but that was only $ 50t for a new one from Detroit Axle, the bearing was ok so now I am not sure what's wrong. Maybe caliper seizing ?
From what I see, the 02-10 explorers and mounties use same front carriers, I think you should be fine.
I use car-parts.com, I just searched for 08 front carrier, and it returns parts from 02 and up.

Thanks, Ya that is what I have been looking at and it shows to be the same for both rides. I hope this fixes it. I am fed up with the noise and not being able to trust this thing to go anywhere.But it fixed it when you replaced the diff? The one I am looking at only has 68K on is so it should be good.

I did not replace the diff, just changed the ujoint and it was smooth like new, for about the year.
I know how you feel, it's frustrating. I have had mine for 9 years and clocked 234k miles so far. I dealt with every possible issue on mine I think. At this point, it just cheaper to maintain it than new car payments, if you can do stuff yourself.

So my whoo whoo is getting worse at times. Last night I removed the front driveshaft, the new u joint is kind of stiff so I hoped that was my problem again. I drove it to work without it and I still hear it. So now, I am not sure if it's the front differential, or maybe the transfer case. On these cars the noise just resonates to every corner of the vehicle, and it's so misleading. I may need to take it to a drivetrain shop just for them to pinpoint the noise. It drives me nuts.....

Back