2017 MY Running Boards | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 MY Running Boards

AndyGJ

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I'm anxious to find out more about the Running Boards option for the 2017. I'm planning on getting an EX Platinum, but would like to wait for the "Late Availability" running boards if they are the power deployable running boards like what I presently have on my 2010 Expedition Limited.

Does anyone have more info on them at this point??

Thanks,
Andy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, here is an unofficial update for those interested in the running boards on the 2017 options list.

I stopped by a local dealer and asked about the running boards. They told me that they were indeed power deployed running boards with late availability expected to hit around Dec 2016 - Jan 2017.

Wooohooo!

The sooner the better!

Andy

So they're going back to the power running boards.
Interesting since they tried this on the Gen 4's and the boards ended up not working, broken motors, etc.
Let's hope they work better in 2017

I had them on my Gen 4 2007 Limited and they worked great...those little servo motors that drive them would go out about 60k miles, but you just had to expect one to go. It usually goes out on the drivers side in the Gen 4 vehicles for obvious reasons of extra frequency of deployment. On my 2010 Expedition, they have worked without fail (knock on wood!) for over 141,000 miles.

I owned both vehicles since newly purchased from same dealership. I think the reliability issue has been solved at this point.

Still, looking forward to when they are available on the 2017....

Andy

I wouldn't think the Explorer needs these and honestly would just be in the way/an annoyance.... my .02

Not in the way when you have a wife who is 5'3"...it also helps when you are packing up a travel bubble on the top for the full family to go in this one on a trip instead of taking wife's suburban.

When they fold up, they look just like a part of the lower body molding so you don't even know they are there until a door is opened and they deploy out and down. I'm 6'0" so I don't especially need them to get in and out of the SUV, but I've never regretted having them on my 2007 Explorer or my 2010 Expedition...moreover, was very glad that I did have them.
Andy.

I wouldn't think the Explorer needs these and honestly would just be in the way/an annoyance.... my .02

I agree. The Explorer doesn't sit high enough to need a step up for a normal healthy person, and would be more of a nuisance than an assistance. I guess if you had a disability and couldn't lift your leg, they might help. Other than that...

We have the deployable boards on our Denali, and they are in the way on that vehicle also. We turned them off.

Well, here is an unofficial update for those interested in the running boards on the 2017 options list.

I stopped by a local dealer and asked about the running boards. They told me that they were indeed power deployed running boards with late availability expected to hit around Dec 2016 - Jan 2017.

Wooohooo! I

The sooner the better!

Andy
I'd take that with a grain of salt, as MY2017 will be built into Dec and Jan of next year and doesn't follow a change/refresh cycle.

I'd take that with a grain of salt, as MY2017 will be built into Dec and Jan of next year and doesn't follow a change/refresh cycle.
There have been a few items that were changed/added in the mid to late production cycle in previous years. ie. Upgraded brakes, LED fog lights, Black Ebony leather come to mind. The running boards have always been listed as "Late availability" on the 2017 model.

Peter

There have been a few items that were changed/added in the mid to late production cycle in previous years. ie. Upgraded brakes, LED fog lights, Black Ebony leather come to mind. The running boards have always been listed as "Late availability" on the 2017 model.

Peter

Which were all "plug and play" and availble on othe trims.
Adding a retractable running board will require a bit more work to say the least.

Which were all "plug and play" and availble on othe trims.
Adding a retractable running board will require a bit more work to say the least.
Don't think the larger brakes were "plug and play" but you're correct on the others.:)

Peter

Best part about Running Boards is they keep doors on other vehicles from Dinging our sides! The power ones just hideaway?

I've never had running boards but I'd think that many vehicle doors when opened would clear the 'boards'. Also wouldn't they rub on pant legs if you didn't use the 'boards' when getting in/out?

Peter

They are great for getting mud/crap on your legs, and catching on every horse turd. Anyone who thinks they need these on an Explorer shouldn't be driving an Explorer. Buy yourself a little wienie car that you can get in and out of.

Clearly, the OP wants it and had it before. I also don't think they are needed or desired outside of a disability. My almost 3 year old is able to climb into the car seat. A sport rides lower than other explorers.

I was thinking of getting them, Im 5'5 and have shorter legs, I slide across the seat... on my escape that I had i ripped holes in the seat getting in and out. Also my 7 yearold niece will have a easier time getting in and out

I was thinking of getting them, Im 5'5 and have shorter legs, I slide across the seat... on my escape that I had i ripped holes in the seat getting in and out. Also my 7 yearold niece will have a easier time getting in and out
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Please add the trim level of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

I'll have to check the order guide again, but I don't remember seeing anywhere where it stated they were powerfold running boards. Your most likely going to get a fixed running board on the Explorer.

I'll have to check the order guide again, but I don't remember seeing anywhere where it stated they were powerfold running boards. Your most likely going to get a fixed running board on the Explorer.
No mention about them being power 'boards' in the Order Guide.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wooohooo!

The sooner the better!

Andy
I have never posted anything so I am probably doing this wrong, but need help! We just bought a 2017 Explorer Platinum. My wife is 5'3 and needs running boards. The new model with the running boards isn't out yet, when they come out will I have the option to go to the dealership and add on the retractable running boards? or another running board! She has to get 1/2 in and jump up, because of the lip on the inside of the car. Otherwise, it wouldn't be an issue for her. PLEASE HELP!

Back