• Register Today It's free!

Terminal Diagnosis... What do to?

Dalmus

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 4.0L Flex; 190K Miles
So over the past year, I've been working on getting my old girl ('03 xls, 4x4, 192K miles) back into trustworthy condition. She developed a stutter under load at low RPMs in 5th and a rough shift between second and third. I tried a new fuel filter, new ignition coil & wires and plugs... nothing changed her performance.

Finally broke down and took her to WETE, and the manager came back and said yes, its the transmission, or more accurately the torque converter, but he wouldn't replace just the TC with so many miles on the trans. He also said the rear pinion was making noise... those two items together, he told me her personally wouldn't stick the money in fixing the vehicle. He said either run it until it completely dies, or sell it for whatever I can get for it. Then he said he wouldn't charge me the diagnositc fee.

So now I'm left with a dilema... With its mileage and mechanical issues, its worthless as a trade-in (and I don't need a replacement for her anyway). Although the engine is in good condition for its age, I still think I'd be hard pressed to get much as a private sale.

So, in the groups' opinion... Do I drive it until the wheels fall off (I only use it recreationally around town, the Escape is the daily driver), should I try to sell it, or should I donate it? Any disadvantages to either that pop into mind?

Thanks!

It depends on how much work you can do. Replacing a torque converter is a plug&play job. One part off, one part on, right after you are willing and able to pull the transmission. The reason tranny shops won't do it is because they want the whole rebuild price to justify giving you a warranty. (warranty: promise of future work, which is almost never necessary if they do the whole rebuild).

Yes, it's a wager. Plenty of junk yard dogs would have this done today because they have nothing to lose but a day's work. Personal opinion: Doing a rebuild without a torque converter is a bad bet because the torque converter can cause lots of problems, like pooping particles into the oil, and it's cheap insurance compared to the cost of the rebuild. Replacing the torque converter without that gawdawful amount of parts and labor in a rebuild? That's a different equation. You are being offered to bet the price of a torque converter plus a hard day's work. Wanna bet?

I haven't done a pinion gear yet, so I can't talk about that.

I'd drop the transmission and install a new TC. They are about $100 with the core considered on rockauto. I'd also drain and refill the rear differential with synthetic lube to buy some more time there.

It depends on how much work you can do. Replacing a torque converter is a plug&play job. One part off, one part on, right after you are willing and able to pull the transmission. The reason tranny shops won't do it is because they want the whole rebuild price to justify giving you a warranty. (warranty: promise of future work, which is almost never necessary if they do the whole rebuild).

Yes, it's a wager. Plenty of junk yard dogs would have this done today because they have nothing to lose but a day's work. Personal opinion: Doing a rebuild without a torque converter is a bad bet because the torque converter can cause lots of problems, like pooping particles into the oil, and it's cheap insurance compared to the cost of the rebuild. Replacing the torque converter without that gawdawful amount of parts and labor in a rebuild? That's a different equation. You are being offered to bet the price of a torque converter plus a hard day's work. Wanna bet?

I haven't done a pinion gear yet, so I can't talk about that.

I had the pinion gear replaced about 5 years ago... It was an expensive job, and from what I understand from a friend-mechanic (who declined doing the job), a PITA because of the rear end of the Explorers.

I'm not too vain to say both jobs (replacing/rebuilding the rear diff & dropping a transmission) are probably more work than I should take on with my Suburban Weekend Warrior toolset. :)

I might be able to talk one of the mechanics at work into doing the TC for me... Reuse fluid if its not burnt? I'd worry putting fresh fluid in such an old tranny. It was last changed at about 65K miles.

Back