1996 Explorer XLT 5.0 V8 rear end grinding while turning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer XLT 5.0 V8 rear end grinding while turning

FloGrown941

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT 5.0
2005 XLT 4.0
Hello,

I am new to the Forum. I have fixed several things on my Explorer with all the great information that I find on here., This site is awesome !

Unfortunately, I have an issue with my 96 ford explorer XLT 5.0 V8. For almost about a month now There is this really loud grinding noise that is coming from the rear end. It ONLY happens when turning in either direction. Turning left seems to be louder than when turning right. While driving straight down the road she rides like a dream. No Noise at all. It also happens after shes been riding for maybe 15+ mins or so. At first shes quiet and you can't hear anything. Also, it feels like the rear tires drag after the turn is done. Could this be bad bearing? Please Help !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could very well be an axle bearing. As you'll have to remove the diff cover to get the axles out, you can also insect the spider gears and carrier bearings while your in there.

If it's just an axle bearing they're not to difficult to replace once the axle is out. You might as well do both sides while you've got it apart. Be sure to inspect the axle surface for damage.

I just replaced an axle bearing and seal that got ruined when I had an axle break. I borrowed the bearing puller tool set and slide hammer from O'Reilly's to remove the old bearing. I placed the new bearing in the freezer for several hours before driving it in with a bearing/seal installation kit, which I also borrowed from O'Reilly's.

I had this happen to me on my old Bronco with a 9'' rear. In my case it was the axle bearings but on a 8.8 you need to take the cover off and deal with the carrier some what to get the axles out so make sure you look around while your in there and check everything out.

Alright , I'll look into it and post an update afterwards. Thanks !

Alright , I'll look into it and post an update afterwards. Thanks !
If it is quite when cold I would try replacing the axle grease, assuming it is a Traction-Lok rear end. The friction modifier may be worn out. Try just adding a small container of friction modifier to your rear end grease to see if it makes a difference before investing in new grease.

He called it ''a really loud grinding noise'' that is not even close to having no additive in your gear oil.

Have you ever rebuilt a LS and not put any additive in?

One thing you will not hear is a really loud grinding sound.

He called it ''a really loud grinding noise'' that is not even close to having no additive in your gear oil.

Have you ever rebuilt a LS and not put any additive in?

One thing you will not hear is a really loud grinding sound.

Yes, Swingin. I have always added tration modifier but I also have seen many Ford differentials that acted up because of lack of proper lube. Especially when a dealer advised an $800 rebuild when all that was needed was additive. I did not say it had no additive, I said the additive may be worn out, after many miles this stuff gives up it capability to do what is is meant for.
I have rebuilt Traction-Locks in 8" 9" and 8.8". The OP stated that the noise is not there when the differential is cold, that means that if the gears were damaged as bad as you assume they would make noise continuously cold or hot. The only thing that is affected by temperature is the gear lube. My point was to put in the $7.00 bottle of additive and try it before getting too involved.
Master Mechanic Mike

This is the internet, we can only go by what someone says.

I have rebuilt (since apparently this matters) over 20 8.8 rears a dozen 9'' and a handful of Danas of different sizes.

I will stand by what I said., you will not hear a ''really loud grinding noise'' from lack of friction modifier.

I appreciate everyone's input. I just wanted to ask could these symptoms possibly be caused by low Differential fluid or would those symptoms be different ? Thanks.

I appreciate everyone's input. I just wanted to ask could these symptoms possibly be caused by low Differential fluid or would those symptoms be different ? Thanks.
Yes very much so, being low on grease can cause noise. Have you determined if your differential is a Traction-Lock?

I just check the sticker in the door jam. It says the axle type is D4. Which is a limited slip right? Any certain additive that should try? I mean, I see your point if I don't have to tear it open if all it may need is additive or something. If that fails then I will look into replacing the bearings.

I just check the sticker in the door jam. It says the axle type is D4. Which is a limited slip right? Any certain additive that should try? I mean, I see your point if I don't have to tear it open if all it may need is additive or something. If that fails then I will look into replacing the bearings.
Great, you have a Traction-lok from the factory. Use Ford M19546A friction modifier it is what the factory uses in Traction lok and is the best on the market, even the other makes use it. It is a little more expensive @ about $13 but worth it.

41v44RJMbkL.jpg

So I added 2 containers of this Trans X Additive. This is all I could find near me. It did make a noticeable difference. When turning, it got rid of the " rear tire drag " feeling and it also cut back on the grinding noise, but its still there just not as loud. I would describe it almost sounding like when your brake pads are worn all the way down and are grinding on the rotors but louder than that. That was the first thing I checked and everything is still good there. So Im planning on just changing the bearings/seals so ill have fresh fluid and friction modifier also . Ill post an update with the outcome.

Thanks!

Back