'93 Sport Expo/ trail rig build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'93 Sport Expo/ trail rig build

Progress has slowed a little while I'm sorting out a coil spring issue with James Duff. After installing the 5.5" variable rate coils, I noticed that the top coils are in bind. I contacted James Duff and they have been working hard to get to the bottom of the issue. They are going back to the engineers for their spring supplier to figure out what is going on. I can't say enough about Mike W in getting this issue figured out.

MhNXa8.jpg

The rear shackles got missed in my kit. Once I received them and got them on, the explorer sits perfectly level. There is less than a 1/4" variance across all 4 corners. Still waiting to get the tires mounted up. These rollers make it easier for taking pics and measurements of the coils.

dQWXNY.jpg

Here's a couple interesting pictures for the fun of it. On the right is my 77 CJ7 on 37's, wagoneer axles, custom spring hangers and hand built leaf packs (and unfinshed tube fenders ;-)). The Ex and Jeep are nearly the same height and have the same wheelbase. The Jeep wins in the width department. The Ex has about an extra foot of overhang out back. It's good to note because I've managed the hit the rear shackles on the jeep dropping off ledges. I need to make sure that rear bumper is up to abuse.

XXQwOI.jpg

KY5mOj.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's half dozen of us up here.
Jrgaylor
Diff Whack Daddy
Me
Paul
Ricky8587
Hards01fx (or something like that)
and a few more.
We haven't run the Manastash system this year but were thinking of trying to get over there next weekend. Camp a Crow Creek.

A Thanksgiving run up the powerline trail sounds like fun. Would be a day trip though. Kind of cold for camping.

We usually hit Tahuya once or twice during the winter between snow runs up to Lonesome Lake.

The setup you're putting in your sport will be great for most of the trails but if you're manual trans, you will want to re-gear or get a doubler real soon. Look into the bike shifter throttle modification too.

There's half dozen of us up here.
Jrgaylor
Diff Whack Daddy
Me
Paul
Ricky8587
Hards01fx (or something like that)
and a few more.
We haven't run the Manastash system this year but were thinking of trying to get over there next weekend. Camp a Crow Creek.

A Thanksgiving run up the powerline trail sounds like fun. Would be a day trip though. Kind of cold for camping.

We usually hit Tahuya once or twice during the winter between snow runs up to Lonesome Lake.

The setup you're putting in your sport will be great for most of the trails but if you're manual trans, you will want to re-gear or get a doubler real soon. Look into the bike shifter throttle modification too.

The trails are great up there right now. By far the most traction, and least amount of dust I've seen. If you have any thoughts of dropping down Rock Cr Rd, double check with the Forest Service. It was closed for a fire when we were up there, which lead to a long back track to get out. Next weekend we'll be up in Leavenworth for Oktoberfest.

For our Thanksgiving run, we usually camp at Long Meadow. And yes, it's always cold, that way we call the "Freeze Your Buns Run". We usually have several day trippers too. I'm looking forward to not being in an open top CJ this year. We usually make it to the top on a combination of the power line trail and the road depending on how deep the snow is. I'll send you a link to the invite when it gets put together.

Keep in touch. It's always good to know wheelers in the NW. I'd love to do Tahuya again. It's been many years since I've been there.

Finding a Sport with a 5 speed that isn't hammered is tough around here. Fortunately, we don't have the rust! I haven't found a single spot of rust in the body of this one!

The other project you see in the pics is a '66 Austin Healey Sprite. I actually have 2 that should give me enough parts for one good one!

Very cool, that's gonna have to be a thread in the other makes and models forum.

Got some used 33x12.50's on it for the time being to get it on the road and sorted out.
HuZU0P.jpg

Got some used 33x12.50's on it for the time being to get it on the road and sorted out.
HuZU0P.jpg
Dang thats looking good! Love the 33s on it, if only i could fit some on my own Ford Sport :banghead:

uh oh! All you need is half doors and we won't be able to tell you apart from Paul!

BTW, is that a Eastern Wa Adventures sticker on the tub, in front of your rear tire on the CJ7? maybe not.

We are starting to plan a run for the weekend of the 22nd out of the Crow Creek area

Great looking build, but need you to confirm for Phil's (Albino) old eyes that your Sport is green, not light blue. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Great looking build, but need you to confirm for Phil's (Albino) old eyes that your Sport is green, not light blue. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

OK, my eyes are old. Put them side by side just to be sure

uh oh! All you need is half doors and we won't be able to tell you apart from Paul!

BTW, is that a Eastern Wa Adventures sticker on the tub, in front of your rear tire on the CJ7? maybe not.

We are starting to plan a run for the weekend of the 22nd out of the Crow Creek area

Haha, my Ex is green for now. It's got some paint issues, so I might be changing in the future to resolve all arguments ;-)

That sticker is actually in memorial of a friend of our club. I'm a member of the Peak Putters out of Tri Cities, but have met up with Clay and the EWOR guys before.

Do you have an area on the forum where you plan trips? If we aren't on a road trip for CA the week of the 22nd, we could be up for a Naches run.

Thank you for all the nice comments about the Explorer progress. I'm thrilled to be driving it around. I can't wait to start fab on the bumpers and body protection, but since I'm currently jobless, that is getting delayed.

I got to put some light trail miles on it yesterday and have some thoughts on the Duff kit. Like everyone says, it's stiff. I drove gavel roads, washboard, rough rip rap and did some slow twisty dirt trails. The travel is great in the slow twisty stuff, all 4 tires stayed planted. At higher speeds it stayed planted well and there wasn't any bunny hopping of the rear end, but overall it was just stiff. I still have some more testing to do and weight to add to the truck before I start fine tuning the suspension.

I'm still working with Duff on the front coils. In my quest to fully understand variable rate coils, I found this information: http://metalcloak.blogspot.com/2013/12/understanding-suspension-spring.html. This helps explain why the top coils of the VR spring stay "compressed" at ride height. But according the Duff, those top coils should have a "4-5 sheets of paper" gap between them. Mine are currently touching, which is concerning to the guys at Duff. As expected, they are very concerned and working hard to figure out what is happening wiht these springs. They are sending me a coil from another batch to test and see how it acts under the Explorer. I will keep this post up to date in case anyone is considering this kit for their Ex.

Do you have an area on the forum where you plan trips?

There is a Northwest sub-folder in the "Meet & Greet and International" forum, but most of the other guys here on the Wet Side are all over FaceBoob. . . I'm out of action for the next few months, but should be good by the time a New Year's Run gets going. . .

Best of luck with sorting out the Duff issue, good to hear they are receptive to fixing the problem.

Paul
'91 Sport

There is a Northwest sub-folder in the "Meet & Greet and International" forum, but most of the other guys here on the Wet Side are all over FaceBoob. . . I'm out of action for the next few months, but should be good by the time a New Year's Run gets going. . .

Best of luck with sorting out the Duff issue, good to hear they are receptive to fixing the problem.

Paul
'91 Sport

Thanks Paul! I got connected with Phil via PM. Hopefully we'll meet up on the trail before too long.

Did a little bit of playing in the front yard to check suspension travel and clearances. In these pictures it's fully stretched out and teetering between front and rear tires. Looks like the rear tires are going to rub hard on the inner fender well. The front tires just barely catch on the wheel lip moulding, which will be getting cut back anyway. I'm suspicious that the front diff is still rubbing on the driver side pivot bracket, but I couldn't confirm it here.

I think I expected a little more droop out of the front end, but where I'm at is about the limit without opening up the driveshaft hole in the passenger beam. Guess I that will be on the future to do list.

Having that front locker is sure nice when you start picking front tires off the ground!

GhNFY3.jpg

F9zB9j.jpg

For the rear tire rub, your still running stock 4.5" wheel backspacing. going to 3.75" will help but it may still rub a bit. 3.75 may make the front rub on the lip a little more though.

10" of travel up front is about what everyone gets for the TTB. It looks like you're close to that. I don't recall ever having issues with bracket/pumpkin interference but I have the 2.5" bracket.

I swear RBV's multiply like rabbits around here. This one followed me home this weekend

rO5WV0.jpg

I needs an engine and front end work. Picked up all the parts I need already. I'll have about $1500 into a really nice little driver when I'm done!

Updates, or did we lose you to FaceBoob ? ? ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updates, or did we lose you to FaceBoob ? ? ?

Unfortunately, nothing new lately. I started a new job 2 weeks ago, which has been consuming most of my free time. I'm also halfway through the motor swap on the white truck.

As winter settles in, I'll have more shop time to start the fab work on the Ex.

Back