Turning car off with wipers on.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turning car off with wipers on....

kmarnes

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Aren't the front & rear wipers supposed to park when you turn off the car?

Right now I hit the push button to turn off the car. The wipers stop right where they are -- both front and back. This seems unusual. Maybe I messed something up when I installed my dashcam?

I've got a 2017 Explorer Sport, so it's new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 2015 and currently have a 2016. When you turn off the truck the wipers stop where they are, down or not. Every car I have ever had has done that.

Havn't noticed that on my '16, but in the past the wipers (only had fronts until now) always parked.

I'm quite sure they stay where they are. I know the ones on my MKT do. I believe my Highlander's wipers did as well. I find that a very handy feature in that I can use the wipers to hold the cover I sometimes use on the windshield when the vehicle is parked with freezing rain forecasted.

Peter

IIRC, My RX350 wipers goes back to the home position, after shutting the vehicle off.

The wipers stop where they are on my 2015 Limited. Not sure if our Outback does that; I'll have to see.

IIRC, My RX350 wipers goes back to the home position, after shutting the vehicle off.

Who gives a rat's rear end about your RX350? This is an Explorer forum!

Many members have posted comments about or referred to previously owned vehicles in posts when talking about certain features of the Explorer. It's not an issue.

Peter

Ford can learn a lot from Lexus. First off is the customer service. Light years ahead at Lexus.

Well given this is my first Ford Explorer (and first Ford in 15+ years), I wasn't really expecting it to just stop when you turn off the car. A lot of other brands do park the wipers properly when you power down. It's not a big deal, but just assumed in this modern era, something like this would be pretty standard.

Don't get your panties in a knot.
I also own 3 other vehicles and there's no harm or foul to compare the differences.

In the many vehicles I've owned, I've never had one that "finished the wipe" when shut-off as they have all stopped in whichever position they are in at the time the ignition is shut-off.

Apparently for some, the wipers parking completely is considered an "innovation"!!! See this video at around the 0:55 mark:

I had a 2008 Lexus ES350 that I'm pretty sure did this too. But I can't really remember which of my previous cars had this feature. Does the Explorer Platinum trim with auto wipers do the job? Like I said before, I'm just a little disappointed that a $50k new car doesn't do it. It's not exactly rocket science anymore.

I prefer that the wipers stay where they are when the ignition is shut off. Much more convenient in certain situations than having them 'auto park'.

Peter

I prefer that the wipers stay where they are when the ignition is shut off. Much more convenient in certain situations than having them 'auto park'.

Peter
Which situations?

Oh yes, freezing rain. I lived in Ottawa during Ice Storm '97... and then moved to California for 10 years to recover. I could see that working, but don't really see car designers factoring that into whether wipers should auto park or not. Oh well.... thread has digressed itself to death, in no part to my comments.

Oh yes, freezing rain. I lived in Ottawa during Ice Storm '97... and then moved to California for 10 years to recover. I could see that working, but don't really see car designers factoring that into whether wipers should auto park or not. Oh well.... thread has digressed itself to death, in no part to my comments.
FWIW it annoys me, too. But I just make sure to turn the Ex back on and then turn the wipers off and let them return to the resting position. Only takes a few more seconds (our 2011 Fusion is the same way.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aren't the front & rear wipers supposed to park when you turn off the car?

Right now I hit the push button to turn off the car. The wipers stop right where they are -- both front and back. This seems unusual. Maybe I messed something up when I installed my dashcam?

I've got a 2017 Explorer Sport, so it's new.
No

Back