All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

I have bought another explorer. This one is a 96 sport, 5 speed. I have no code on the side on this model. My other explorer does and it works fine. In the 96 I tried the on off 8 times and I've tried 5 times and the truck won't go into program mode. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Brake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I need your help. My ex knows my master keypad code and I need to change or disable it asap. I can not find out how to, please help. I would rather change it even if i have to swap a few wires in the drivers door wiring ( if possible ). I cant even seem to find a wiring diagram on here, im just to frustrated right now. 1998 explorer sport.
Thanks, Doug

I have a 2002 Sport Trac with V8 AWD swap from a 1998 Mountaineer. I had PATS swapped over too, along with the 1998 ignition lock. There were two keys and original Ford remotes with the Mountaineer.

Recently one remote quit working so I installed a new battery. Still doesn't work. I had a new key cut and I programmed it using the other two keys. The keyless entry code is still the original Sport Trac code.

I've tried umpteen times but it will not enter fob programming mode. I've read that there's a hidden button somewhere under the dash, or a couple of pins on some connector that can be shorted to make it go into programming mode - but nobody mentioning those bothers to say exactly where they are or posts pictures.

I wonder if the VCX Nano with IDS software can make it program fobs?

Thanks for the reply but I still couldn’t find how to disable or change the factory keypad code, please help if you can. Is it possible to get a used circuit board (RAP module? )
that has the keypad code on it from a bone yard and switch that part therefore the new number would work? Or maybe cut and cross wires from the keypad, making the 5/6 button a 7/8 button? I would need a wire diagram tho. I cant find that either, and I looked for hours for a diagram for the door keypad wiring, im guessing the wires go from the door to the drivers kick panel, through the harness that has the bolt on top. Thanks again

According to the owner's manual the factory code can not be changed. You can add a different code, but the factory code would still be active. It might be possible to install another RAP module. Why not just unplug the key pad for now?

Thank you!! You saved me $50!!

Thanks for the reply but I still couldn’t find how to disable or change the factory keypad code, please help if you can. Is it possible to get a used circuit board (RAP module? )
that has the keypad code on it from a bone yard and switch that part therefore the new number would work? Or maybe cut and cross wires from the keypad, making the 5/6 button a 7/8 button? I would need a wire diagram tho. I cant find that either, and I looked for hours for a diagram for the door keypad wiring, im guessing the wires go from the door to the drivers kick panel, through the harness that has the bolt on top. Thanks again

There are only two ways to change the default door code. The first is to replace the raps or Pats module, but doing that means reprogramming all of your keys and key fobs. The second way it to open the module up and change the locations of the resistors that connect to the number pad. This second method is not recommended.

I have a 99 Explorer XLS 4 door. It does not have a keypad on the door. I wanted to see if I could add keyless entry to it (I don't want to add a keypad; I just want a remote fob on my keychain). I tried looking for the module in back but didn't see it. I also tried turning the ignition on and off 8 times and nothing happened. I'm assuming my truck never had keyless entry to begin with? I just bought it used and wasn't sure if the previous owner just lost the remotes or if it never had keyless entry. Anyone know what's involved in adding keyless entry? Would an aftermarket unit be easiest to install?

I have a 99 Explorer XLS 4 door. It does not have a keypad on the door. I wanted to see if I could add keyless entry to it (I don't want to add a keypad; I just want a remote fob on my keychain). I tried looking for the module in back but didn't see it. I also tried turning the ignition on and off 8 times and nothing happened. I'm assuming my truck never had keyless entry to begin with? I just bought it used and wasn't sure if the previous owner just lost the remotes or if it never had keyless entry. Anyone know what's involved in adding keyless entry? Would an aftermarket unit be easiest to install?

If nothing happens with your key for programming mode it will be easiest to install an aftermarket system. They sell around here for about $99 installed, often less. Not a difficult diy task but it is tedious locating wires under the dash. Might pull the panel and see if the wiring for a factorsystem is there. if so, then just get a factory control module and a key fob, program it, and you're all set. Also, if you find those wires and decide to go aftermarket, that harness has every connection needed for installation.

If nothing happens with your key for programming mode it will be easiest to install an aftermarket system. They sell around here for about $99 installed, often less. Not a difficult diy task but it is tedious locating wires under the dash. Might pull the panel and see if the wiring for a factory system is there. if so, then just get a factory control module and a key fob, program it, and you're all set. Also, if you find those wires and decide to go aftermarket, that harness has every connection needed for installation.

Are you sure you do not have a raps module? I believe They moved them in the late 90s to a location under the dash.
Hi cwol97401 , I'm not sure that I have seen that under the dash , but I will check it out :)
Thank you

RAP module in my '97 EB is in the cargo compartment on the driver's side. Open the access panel on the side and look forward, you will see a box with relays in it - the RAP module also goes there. Most likely wiring is there - you may just have to get a used module and plug it in. Good luck.

RAP module in my '97 EB is in the cargo compartment on the driver's side. Open the access panel on the side and look forward, you will see a box with relays in it - the RAP module also goes there. Most likely wiring is there - you may just have to get a used module and plug it in. Good luck.
To my knowledge, they changed the location for the 99MY

For those with a 2001 Sport Trac like me that didn't have the keyless entry module in the dash behind the passengers air bag, I found mine in the middle of the rear wall in the area above the jack....I used my borescope camera to search for it....got my code and it actually still works...hope this helps someone.

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions.

When your vehicle was newly purchased from the dealer it came with a card in the owner’s manual packet that had the keypad code on it. The packet is often lost and/or discarded over time and as the vehicle trades owners the code to the Keyless Entry is lost. Ford Dealers wants some big money to get the code for you by plugging in their computer to retrieve the code or using the following method. Luckily there is a much easier and cheaper way for you to get the code and you do not need any tools or automotive knowledge. I’ll show you how and where to find the code and how to reset the Keyless Entry back to the factory code or your personal code number.

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions. The factory code is also printed on a label which is installed on the Remote Anti-theft Personality (RAP) Module. This is the module that controls the keyless entry system. It is located in the left rear quarter behind the removable panel (see photo). You will need to turn the two thumb screws counter clockwise and take the plastic panel off to be able to see the unit. A flashlight may be helpful in seeing the code. You are looking for the module and the 5 digit code on it like the one shown below.
View attachment 42920
View attachment 42921
Now that you’ve got the code I’ll tell you how to use the Keyless entry and set-up your own code.Make sure when pressing the controls on the keyless entry keypad you press the middle of the buttons to ensure good contact with the controls.
Programming your own personal entry code
1. Enter the factory-set code (keypad will illuminate when first digit is pressed).
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step 1.
3. Enter your personal 5-digit code. Enter each digit within five seconds of the previous one.
Your personal code does not replace the factory-set code. You can use either code to unlock your vehicle. Each time you set a new personal code the module will erase the previous one in favor of the new code. The factory-set code can not be erased.
Erasing your own personal code or a prior owners code and leaving only the factory-set code
1. Enter the factory-set code.
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step one 1.
3. Press the 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time within five seconds of step two.
The system will now only respond to the factory-set code.
Unlocking the doors with the Keyless Entry System
1. Enter either the factory-set code or the personal code (Each digit must be pressed within five seconds of the prior digit). The interior lights will illuminate as soon as the first valid digit is pressed.
2. To unlock all the doors, enter the factory set code or a personal code and press the 3/4 control within five seconds of the drivers door unlocking.
Locking the doors wit the Keyless Entry System
1. Press 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time. The 5-digit code does not have to be entered to lock the doors.
Deactivating/Activating Auto-lock
1. Enter the five 5-digit code.
2. Press and hold 7/8 control.
3. Press and release 3/4 control while holding 7/8 control.
4. Release 7/8 control.
The horn will chirp once if auto-lock was deactivated or twice if auto-lock was activated.
To program the hand held remotes:
Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

View attachment 42920

View attachment 42921
Does anyone know if I’m able to get one of these modules from a junk car to set up a remote keyless entry in my car? Mine didn’t come with the module from the factory as far as I know and would really like to add it

hello Im knew here and i may post these in wrong place if i did im sorry , My friend has a 2000 ford expedition,

hes gf throw away the real keys and he had no way to recover them, Doing so he had the Ignition switch replaced she also broke the antenna around the key tumbler I'll show pics of it .

Well after getting the Ignition switch replaced at a local shop it would crank in die immediately they told him it was hes feel pump so he brought it over dropped it off at my house and we drop tank in changed it then i we found out did same thing once replaced with new part from autozone, then i asked him some Questions that when he told me about Gf throwing hes keys out and there for he had Ignition switch replaced . so what im asking how im i able to Bypass to get it to crank in stay cranked? does key need to be reprogrammed dealer? are is the antenna around the key tumbler no good need replace it and then try program i did the 15 min cut off till theft light stop blinking did that 3 times and then try start still same thing. I found the pat module theft thingy here are pics of what i have and the key and ignition switch and key is after market,,,, Any ideas are help is much appreciated god bless

20180317_100731.jpg

20180317_100752.jpg

20180317_101001.jpg

20180317_101019.jpg

20180317_101106.jpg

397650Hoodswitc_00000022264.jpg

397650Hoodswitc_00000022264.jpg

@antty09 This is an Explorer/Mountaineer/Ranger Forum (not an Expedition forum) though I would assume many things related to security keys are similar.

If you have no original keys you'll need a locksmith or dealer to program new keys (it might be possible to do it yourself if you have something like ForScan, IDK). The PCM needs to be programmed to know the new key codes, Nothing else needs to be touched. There's nothing you can do to bypass the PATS system, which will not turn on the fuel injectors unless the key is recognized.

If you've damaged the transceiver ring (it's not an antenna), or it's wiring, from around the ignition lock cylinder, it will need to be replaced/repaired. It's what reads the chip located inside the key and then sends it to the PCM for verification.

Hello and sorry and thank you for your reply Koda i found these Ebay, Will i be able to program the keys with it? and pcm lets me.. its better then forscan tool from reviews iv seen no china stuff, Anyways god bless i also wrote seller today telling them i lost the Real keys had Switch replaced with keys with it would it program keys to pcm...
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
  • s-l64.jpg
Have one to sell? Sell now
Details about ScanTool OBDLink SX 425801 OBD-II / OBD 2 Scan Tool USB with OBDwiz Software

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IDK, see what the seller tells you.

Back