Need opinions, looking at buying an Ecoboost Explorer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need opinions, looking at buying an Ecoboost Explorer!

Bryman13

Reaction score
City, State
Fairhope, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Focus ST
I haven't done an introduction yet but to keep it short, I work at a Ford dealer and I have been looking at getting my wife an Explorer and trading her RX300 for a bit and I'm at a point where it makes sense now. We just traded in a 2012 Explorer Limited with just about everything you could get in 2012; heated/cooled, panoramic roof, etc. Here is my problem. It has 118k miles and the 2.0 Ecoboost. If it was the v6 I would not have as much hesitation, and the vehicle is immaculate, but I'm just nervous about that engine, being as new as it was in 2012 and having those miles on a vehicle of that size. I mean, I have the same engine in my ST, but those are two very different vehicles.

Who has a 2.0 Explorer with more miles and how has the reliability been. Any opinions are welcome!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2.0 is underpowered and should have never been put in it. The 2.3 is another story and is a good motor for the size. I would pass on it IMO just because of the 2.0 never mind getting into other potential issues (water pump) with that many miles.

I'll be selling our 2011 soon before my ESP is up just so it is easier to sell privately with a warranty with option to extend it.

2.0 turbocharged 4banger in a 49xxlbs vehicle...yikes.

Welcome to the Forum Bryman13. :wave:
You may be interested in the following thread which is on the 2.3L Ecoboost vs the 3.5L NA V6.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2-3l-ecoboost-or-na-3-5l.432221/

Peter
Thanks Peter. I actually have had quite a bit of experience driving all the different engines in the Explorer, having worked for Ford for 2 years now. Getting the vehicle for my wife, I'm not that concerned with the amount of power it has. My biggest concern was reliability of such a small engine on that size SUV. As much as I want to buy that Explorer for everything it has on it I guess I'm going to have to pass on it until I find one either lower mileage or one with a V6.

Thanks Peter. I actually have had quite a bit of experience driving all the different engines in the Explorer, having worked for Ford for 2 years now. Getting the vehicle for my wife, I'm not that concerned with the amount of power it has. My biggest concern was reliability of such a small engine on that size SUV. As much as I want to buy that Explorer for everything it has on it I guess I'm going to have to pass on it until I find one either lower mileage or one with a V6.

Will sell you mine.. still under warranty and has 101,000 miles.

Too bad you're not in my 'neck of the woods'. The 3 year lease on my MKT is up in April. Currently just under 7500 miles.:D

Peter

Too bad you're not in my 'neck of the woods'. The 3 year lease on my MKT is up in April. Currently just under 7500 miles.:D

Peter

He doesn't want a mini Hearse. Mwahaha

Will sell you mine.. still under warranty and has 101,000 miles.

How close are you to Alabama?

Peter

I think that's going to be out of my price range, lol. Love the way the MKT drives, even if it does look like a hearse.

How close are you to Alabama?

I think that's going to be out of my price range, lol. Love the way the MKT drives, even if it does look like a hearse.

1,300 miles give or take lol. But hey, we have great foliage!!

Peter

Prime example of a "good" customer.
3yr of lease payments and only 7500miles driven...the dealership won't even put your vehicle through inspection upon return.

Prime example of a "good" customer.
3yr of lease payments and only 7500miles driven...the dealership won't even put your vehicle through inspection upon return.

Leased vehicles don't go to the dealership at lease end. They turn them into the dealer and a Ford rep comes out and does a lease end inspection and then they take it. It will end up going to auction nine times out of ten. There have been several lease turn ins that I would have been interested in buying but didn't have the opportunity.

Leased vehicles don't go to the dealership at lease end. They turn them into the dealer and a Ford rep comes out and does a lease end inspection and then they take it. It will end up going to auction nine times out of ten. There have been several lease turn ins that I would have been interested in buying but didn't have the opportunity.

You 100% have the option to buy the lease turn in. You can buy them off accelerate before they go to the auction. Not sure about the used car policy at your store but it's something to talk about with your used car manager. Any reason your not doing a d-plan lease? If you don't need a 3rd row Lincoln MKX has a crazy good d plan lease..I'm paying $499 for mine that listed for $63k new.

When I was still working, a fellow worker buy my 2006 Highlander at lease end. He also took over the remaining 2 years on my 2009 Highlander lease when I got the itch to get the Explorer. The transaction went through the dealership. With my 2011 Explorer Ltd., the dealer really wanted it back after 3 years of a 4 year lease because it had low mileage and they had someone interested in buying it. That is why I got a very good deal on the MKT. Not sure what their plans are for it at lease end. I guess I could put it up for sale privately before then and see if I can get more than the residual value.

Peter

You 100% have the option to buy the lease turn in. You can buy them off accelerate before they go to the auction. Not sure about the used car policy at your store but it's something to talk about with your used car manager. Any reason your not doing a d-plan lease? If you don't need a 3rd row Lincoln MKX has a crazy good d plan lease..I'm paying $499 for mine that listed for $63k new.
@peterk9 was talking about me buying his lease. You always have the option to buy your own lease out at the end of your lease term. And yes, the dealership CAN buy the car, but it has to go through lease turn in inspection by the lease company first, and they get to choose if it goes to auction or wholesale it to a dealer. More often than not when someone ends a lease if the car ends up at the dealership it's because they technically "traded in" their lease instead of doing an actual lease turn in. A lot of people don't know you can trade out of a lease early, and if you do so you don't accrue any of the lease end fees such as mileage overage or damage/wear and tear taken during ownership. I have seen people do that many times and in some situations it can save the buyer money, you're given a buyout from the bank the same you would on any financed vehicle.

The reason I'm not doing that is because of budget and bad credit. Also my wife doesn't work at the moment and I don't want a $500 a month payment. Hence why I'm considering buying a higher mileage used Explorer.

@peterk9 was talking about me buying his lease. You always have the option to buy your own lease out at the end of your lease term. And yes, the dealership CAN buy the car, but it has to go through lease turn in inspection by the lease company first, and they get to choose if it goes to auction or wholesale it to a dealer. More often than not when someone ends a lease if the car ends up at the dealership it's because they technically "traded in" their lease instead of doing an actual lease turn in. A lot of people don't know you can trade out of a lease early, and if you do so you don't accrue any of the lease end fees such as mileage overage or damage/wear and tear taken during ownership. I have seen people do that many times and in some situations it can save the buyer money, you're given a buyout from the bank the same you would on any financed vehicle.

The reason I'm not doing that is because of budget and bad credit. Also my wife doesn't work at the moment and I don't want a $500 a month payment. Hence why I'm considering buying a higher mileage used Explorer.

When every ford lease is terminated it goes onto a website called where only ford dealers have the option to buy the cars, if they don't sell there then they head out to auction. You can get some really good deals on there if you look. I'm not sure the policy at your store for buying used cars but it might be something worth talking about your used car manager.

I'll
When every ford lease is terminated it goes onto a website called where only ford dealers have the option to buy the cars, if they don't sell there then they head out to auction. You can get some really good deals on there if you look. I'm not sure the policy at your store for buying used cars but it might be something worth talking about your used car manager.
do a bit of fact finding today and see what I can come up with. I think for the most part a lease-end vehicle is going to be more than I want to spend right now, though I know you can get great deals on off-lease cars.

Yes you can...Explorers are kinda high right now but if you search I'm sure something will pop up better. You can get an XLT 202a with much less miles for about that price. You'll lose out on a couple things but nothing that you'll be missing from the Lexus.

I've had my 16 XLT/2.3 for 6 months. Have just over 12,000 miles and am very happy. Have taken 3 trips in excess of 2000 miles, averaged 26 mpg n the road. Since I don't tow it has plenty of power. I use 87 octane fuel with no ill effects. Yep I'm happy. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had my 16 XLT/2.3 for 6 months. Have just over 12,000 miles and am very happy. Have taken 3 trips in excess of 2000 miles, averaged 26 mpg n the road. Since I don't tow it has plenty of power. I use 87 octane fuel with no ill effects. Yep I'm happy. Good luck.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back