Power Liftgate Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate Issues

butlerjd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
This is crazy. Just purchased a 2014 Explorer XLT pretty much loaded. Had dealership activate remote start for us as part of deal, and of course order new keys.
First set of keys were 4 button with remote start, but they forgot about our power liftgate on the original remotes, so they ordered 5 button remotes for us. I went in (1 hr drive to dealership) so they could program the remotes. Get there and they only have 1 remote and it takes them almost 3 hours to get it to program. Had issues with it operating the power liftgate.
Afterwards, noticed that liftgate would open with remote, would open with button at dash, and would open from the liftgate handle with the keys in the run position. If you were to unlock the Explorer and walk up to it and attempt to open the liftgate from the liftgate handle, it does not operate. To be honest do not know if it was like this before the activation and programming of the remote start.
Dealership got in 2nd 5-button remote, this time had them drop off loaner and pick up Explorer and asked them to look into the liftgate if they had time.
Dealership has now had it for 2 weeks! Ford techs said it was from adding the remote start, but they didn't add anything, just activated it in the computer.
The dealership tech thought it was the body control module and ordered and installed a new one. After re-programming everything again (all of the keys again), the liftgate still does not operate from the handle unless the key is in the run position in the ignition. Now they say they are going to get Ford engineers involved. I feel like I am paying child support and getting limited visitation. This is our 2nd month of owning the Explorer and I really miss it, especially since they gave us a Fusion as the loaner!
Anyone else heard of such an issue with the power liftgate? Works from remote, works from button at dash, works from handle if key is in ignition and it is in run position, will not work from handle when unlocking the vehicle and trying to operate liftgate at handle.

Thanks for any insight!

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this a brand new, or used vehicle? If used, it sounds like it was either messed with, or a problem from the beginning. I have never heard of such a thing, maybe Peter has some experience with this.

Welcome to the Forum butlerjd.:wavey:

Hi Jeff. Is the liftgate setting set to 'Enabled' ?
You can enable or disable the power liftgate using the information
display. The remote control and instrument panel button will still operate
the liftgate regardless of the setting.

If that isn't the problem, have you tried resetting the liftgate?
See Resetting the Power Liftgate in your Owner's Guide.

Peter

I did just purchase the vehicle used, with very low miles and meticulously maintained.

I did check to ensure the liftgate was enabled, but I did not try the liftgate reset that the manual recommended of disconnecting the battery. The dealership has it now and I am sure they probably had to disconnect the battery to install a new BCM (body control module) and they are struggling with it. Handle switch has never been removed or tampered with that they can see. They believe it is a communication error of some sort so they are now going to get Ford engineering involved.
I'm just ready to get our Explorer back! They've had it 2 weeks out of the 7 weeks we've owned it now!

Thanks for the replies!!

Soooo what was the outcome?

Dealership installed new BCM and that still did not fix the situation. They also got in my new 5-button remote. This time they picked up the vehicle instead of me going and waiting after the last time it took them 3 hours to program a key fob.
They had it for almost 2 weeks and finally put a different technician on the job and he went in and "manually" reprogrammed the computer and got everything working. This issue didn't really show up until they struggled the first time trying to program my new remote fob. They even told me then they had everything working from the remote except the lift gate, then they got it to work from the remote and it quit working from the liftgate handle (which I didn't know until later).
I am thinking it all boiled down to having a technician work on it that wasn't that familiar with programming work.
All is good now.

Glad to hear. I know you've got to be feeling relieved.

My vehicle started exhibiting this problem recently. When I use the Power Liftgate, the door opens completely, then immediately you hear the chime and the door closes. If I hold the Liftgate open....then release it, the weight of the door slams the door shut to full force. Tried resetting the vehicle, to no avail. I am assuming the problem is the lift support strut and NOT the actuator. Can anyone confirm this? In the meantime, I am using a broomstick to hold the door up......quite embarrassing on such an advanced car. Please help!!

My vehicle started exhibiting this problem recently. When I use the Power Liftgate, the door opens completely, then immediately you hear the chime and the door closes. If I hold the Liftgate open....then release it, the weight of the door slams the door shut to full force. Tried resetting the vehicle, to no avail. I am assuming the problem is the lift support strut and NOT the actuator. Can anyone confirm this? In the meantime, I am using a broomstick to hold the door up......quite embarrassing on such an advanced car. Please help!!
You said you "Tried resetting the vehicle". Not sure what that means but did you go through the liftgate reset procedure? Does the liftgate also reverse if you set the height at a different level as opposed to a full open? If it was a faulty support strut and I don't think the chimes would sound. I believe they only sound when they receive an electronic signal that causes the 'gate' to close. I don't think you hear the chimes when you manually close the 'gate'. :dunno:
Does the same thing happen if you manually open the liftgate?

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter! Here we go:
- Yes, I went through the liftgate reset procedure.
- I set the height to different levels, but the door still drops.
- If I manually open the liftgate, it will immediately drop with full force.
If I hit the FOB or button to open the liftgate, it goes up as normal, but once it hits the top, it starts to chime and drops down slowly....like normal. It just won't stay up. I believe i read somewhere that the chime could also mean that there is weight on the gate, and so it closes. I believe the 'actuator' (thick one) raises and lowers the liftgate, as where the lift support (thin one) keeps the gate raised. Doing a search for this specific issue comes up with nothing. Am I the only one with this problem? Hope not!

Oscar

If it chimes and lowers normally to me that would suggest that it is getting a signal to do so. I haven't heard about the weight issue before. If that was the case then it should chime when you put weight on it to close it manually and I'm quite sure it doesn't. Because it seems to open and close normally, it seems that something is triggering the signal to close it once it reaches it set opening, thus the chimes. As a last resort, have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 - 10 minutes and then reconnecting? Be advised that this will likely also delete most if not all saved memory settings with no guaranty it will solve the problem.

Peter

Well, if the lift support is shot, wouldn't it make sense that the gate would seem heavy now as there is no support to keep it raised. Then the sensor would see that the gate is too heavy and begin to drop. That is my assumption, of course. BTW, I did disconnect the battery for about 20mins, but still the same issue.

Oscar

Well, if the lift support is shot, wouldn't it make sense that the gate would seem heavy now as there is no support to keep it raised. Then the sensor would see that the gate is too heavy and begin to drop. That is my assumption, of course. BTW, I did disconnect the battery for about 20mins, but still the same issue.

Oscar
It is possible Oscar but I doubt that would cause the chimes to sound. I believe they are triggered electronically when they received the 'close' command from the switch or fob. For example, if you were to manually close the 'gate' there are no chimes.
Might be time to have dealer look at it unless anyone else has any suggestions.

Peter

I'm here b/c I'm in a similar situation. I noticed the gate was not opening as high as it used to. I didn't realize you could program the height and looking back I think my mom accidentally programmed it to a lower max height without meaning to. Anyway, while on vacation this week I was reading up on it and it seemed easy enough so I tried to fix it. I manually lifted the gate to the max open height and held the button until it chimed. The gated sagged down slowly, lowed than before. It's a 2013 limited, no way the hydraulics are shot to the point they are sagging and can't hold up that gate.

So I tried a few more times to program the max height. Man, I don't know what's going on now but it's out of control. I have to physically muscle it to hold it open, it bypasses the safety mechanism in place in the even there is an obstruction there. I found this out the hard way loading my daughter's stroller and the groceries in the back. If I hit the button to open it the gate opens and gets to the top then chimes and forcefully tries to slam back shut.

I've founds lots of info how to program the height limits but how do I reset the entire liftgate...hopefully to oem settings? Sorry to the OP, I'm not thread jacking you, it just looks like we both have a similar dilemma.

All this on top of that dreaded "shift to park" error I've been dealing with.

I'm here b/c I'm in a similar situation. I noticed the gate was not opening as high as it used to. I didn't realize you could program the height and looking back I think my mom accidentally programmed it to a lower max height without meaning to. Anyway, while on vacation this week I was reading up on it and it seemed easy enough so I tried to fix it. I manually lifted the gate to the max open height and held the button until it chimed. The gated sagged down slowly, lowed than before. It's a 2013 limited, no way the hydraulics are shot to the point they are sagging and can't hold up that gate.

So I tried a few more times to program the max height. Man, I don't know what's going on now but it's out of control. I have to physically muscle it to hold it open, it bypasses the safety mechanism in place in the even there is an obstruction there. I found this out the hard way loading my daughter's stroller and the groceries in the back. If I hit the button to open it the gate opens and gets to the top then chimes and forcefully tries to slam back shut.

I've founds lots of info how to program the height limits but how do I reset the entire liftgate...hopefully to oem settings? Sorry to the OP, I'm not thread jacking you, it just looks like we both have a similar dilemma.

All this on top of that dreaded "shift to park" error I've been dealing with.
See page 81 of your Owner's Manual, Resetting the Power Liftgate

Peter

i don't have access to a manual...can anyone help me out?

i had already accessed that but didn't have luck viewing it from my phone. the reset procedure didn't do anything to help. when the gate opens and gets to the top the chimes go off repeatedly as it closes forcefully. while looking online it seems that the gate's lift arm chimes non-stop when it feels that it's under too much of a load and is being forced shut. this is clearly some sort of internal program error. i was hoping the reset would clear it but no such luck. i really didn't want to take it in to the dealer for this.

Well Peter and Narco...looks like I may have found the answer. My assumptions were correct. I purchased the Lift Support strut off of Ebay....new for $75. Just came in today. It was pretty easy to change it out. Problem is now GONE!! As I suspected, the strut was simply worn out. I will shortly put up a video to help other users of the same issue. I can't believe I couldn't find this issue and fix ANYWHERE on the net. The actuator (driver side) is only used to lift and lower the liftgate.....the support strut (passenger side) simply holds it up. Dealer wanted to charge $325 for parts and installation.... so I saved myself $250.......NICE!!!! Any questions, please feel free to ask. I am one happy camper!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes, please post lots of pics and video! mines been at dealer for 4 days and they still havent fixed it. they think it's the right side lift support/strut as well but arent sure. they cant seem to get their hands on the part. im getting the car back today and going to another dealer to try and get the part myself. im going out of town this weekend and need this fixed asap. is this something that is stocked at a local auto parts/napa/etc?

Back