Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 108 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Court filings have been made in the Florida litigation disclosing the terms of the proposed settlement. If someone can tell me how to post a PDF file, I'll post the whole thing (124 pages). Here is the thumbnail sketch:

"» Ford will advise class members, through the class notice, of new available
repairs for those with exhaust odor concerns, available for free on vehicles
still under warranty. These repairs are described in a TSB -- Ford’s third, and
will be applied in two parts. Part one involves sealing actions and part
replacement, including HVAC recalibration, which tracks the fixes set forth in
TSBs 12-12-4 and 14-0130, and also involves additional sealing efforts. Part
two, available in certain vehicles if the initial repairs do not address the
concern, involves replacing the exhaust tips and muffler assembly, which will
redirect exhaust gases.
» All Explorer owners and lessees who are within their 3 year/36,000 mile
warranty will thus be expressly put on notice of the exhaust issue. For those
who have such issues, they will be eligible for warranty repairs at no cost.
» In addition, those Explorer owners/lessees who received a warranty repair
or for whom a Ford dealer diagnosed an exhaust odor problem but didn’t
repair while under warranty will be entitled to up to $125 reimbursement
for a TSB repair work performed at the later of 4 years/48,000 miles
(whichever comes first) or 60 days after the effective date of the settlement.
Thus, the settlement provides a subsidized repair for those owners/lessees
who are currently outside their warranty time limits.
» This same group – those who received warranty repair or for whom a Ford
dealer diagnosed an exhaust odor problem but didn’t repair while under
warranty and who are now outside warranty – will be entitled to up to $500
in reimbursement for a second TSB repair involving exhaust system
replacement, a more expensive repair, if the first TSB doesn’t work.
» Deadlines may be extended by as much as 60 days if the TSB repair parts are
unavailable.
» Those 2011-2015 Explorer owners or lessees who didn’t receive warranty
repair or exhaust odor diagnosis during their warranty coverage period will
be entitled to up to $125 to reimburse them for the cost of a TSB repair. The
TSB may be performed up to the later of 60 days after the expiration of their
warranty or the effective date of the settlement.
» For those owners/lessees who received a warranty repair and remain
dissatisfied with their vehicles’ repair after at least two attempts to perform
the most currently available repair the settlement includes a stream-lined
appeal process to the Better Business Bureau, which is the appeal board
referenced in Ford’s warranty. This appeal will be done at no cost to the
owners/lessees, and Ford – as part of the settlement – will waive the
following defenses: (a) that the statute of limitations has run; and (b) that the
warranty doesn’t cover design defects (which is the defense Ford
successfully invoked in the Cassidy BBB arbitration)."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although this case started out as a Florida-only class, Ford and the plaintiffs' lawyers are proposing that this settlement be made nationwide. Lawyers trying to represent a class of Illinois consumers are objecting to this.

Court filings have been made in the Florida litigation disclosing the terms of the proposed settlement. If someone can tell me how to post a PDF file, I'll post the whole thing (124 pages). Here is the thumbnail sketch:
I don't think we need a 124 page post here. Can you not just provide a link to the document or the article?

Peter

Received arbitrators decision today, Ford has to buy ours back. This was our first Ford and trust me it will be our last. Not just because of the problems, but because of customer service. Good luck to everyone.

Received arbitrators decision today, Ford has to buy ours back. This was our first Ford and trust me it will be our last. Not just because of the problems, but because of customer service. Good luck to everyone.

I will do my research on official dealer websites and Yelp for reviews. I would rather drive 100-200 miles away to a neighboring state for regular service and maintenance then go back to the dealer / service that I was before. Yes, there are great Ford dealerships, Service and Customer Support but every region / state is different. My local dealership has 1, 2 or at best 3 stars at 90& of the reviews for the past few years, but I was stupid enough not to do my research for reviews. Then they call me why I gave them such a poor review on a survey, dahh, had to explain them again and told them that my experience was commented / written on a survey.

Been out of touch for a while but I get the same annoying fart smell on a 2016 Ford Explorer. I have to accelerate like my Grandma to avoid it.
Thank you @dudefish for the documentation but looks like 2016 Ford Explorers are not on the list. Any recourse for 2016 Ford Explorer owners?

I have taken over daily driving our 2011 Ex with 125k miles. It still stinks every time I enter the expressway since I have to accelerate harder than normal.

Our 2017 with the 4 cy Ecoboost doesn't have any smell thankfully.

I've noticed that ours has that smell when going through hard acceleration. It's not an overpoweringly horrible smell, but noticeable. Well, at least to me. My wife (who has a better sense of smell than I do normally) has never mentioned it, nor has anyone else who has ridden in the vehicle. Thought I was just crazy until I saw this thread.

Guess I'll continue to monitor both the Explorer and this thread and hope things don't get worse with age.

.......Guess I'll continue to monitor both the Explorer and this thread and hope things don't get worse with age.
I can tell you from personal experience that physically things do get worse with age. ;) Now, for the Explorer, there have been some members saying it actually gets better with age. I hope you are in the latter group.:)

Peter

I have taken over daily driving our 2011 Ex with 125k miles. It still stinks every time I enter the expressway since I have to accelerate harder than normal.

Our 2017 with the 4 cy Ecoboost doesn't have any smell thankfully.
Have you inspected and ensured that the liftgate seals tightly on the 2011? (Post 2132)

Peter

Been out of touch for a while but I get the same annoying fart smell on a 2016 Ford Explorer. I have to accelerate like my Grandma to avoid it.
Thank you @dudefish for the documentation but looks like 2016 Ford Explorers are not on the list. Any recourse for 2016 Ford Explorer owners?
2016 Explorer is not on the list because the lawsuits began at the 2015 model, but Ford will work with you. Slowly, but they will. It took 3 months for them to sort of fix mine, although I still await for other repairs. The good part about all this is that, after 4+ months, I have racked over 5K miles on the rental SUV and not on mine. If those are good news...

2016 Explorer is not on the list because the lawsuits began at the 2015 model, but Ford will work with you. Slowly, but they will. It took 3 months for them to sort of fix mine, although I still await for other repairs. The good part about all this is that, after 4+ months, I have racked over 5K miles on the rental SUV and not on mine. If those are good news...

Paying or paid for a vehicle that you can't drive...can't be good!

I am being told that the exhaust gets pulled in through the doors. I told him that there are many people who are affected by it and Ford is attempting to fix the same at many cases. The Service Advisor claims that the rear door does not close properly because of a bumper protection I have. I asked him if they did a smoke test to see the leak and got no concrete answers. To me it sounds like they are just trying to point fingers and wash their hands clean.
<rant>Ford Service Centers have a lot of improvement</rant>

Hello everyone bought a 2013 explorer limited 3.5 engine in august. Love it so far but, 2 weeks ago noticed it stinking like reared grease when u stop or park. Put it on lift at my dads garage and sludge like stuff had puked out of ptu vent. Then dripped on exhaust. So I cleaned it smell still not gone so took it to local dealer Monday, they checked it out and said ptu was fine but exhaust was coming in cab from rear of vehicle. Now they are ordering parts to fix the exhaust coming in cab problem that will cost us at least $500.00. Im not taking a chance on my kids getting sick so I guess we will pay this even tho I don't think it's going to stop the ptu smell anyone ever heard of this. By the way has 60284 miles. Don't want to turn into a money pit. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Hello everyone bought a 2013 explorer limited 3.5 engine in august. Love it so far but, 2 weeks ago noticed it stinking like reared grease when u stop or park. Put it on lift at my dads garage and sludge like stuff had puked out of ptu vent. Then dripped on exhaust. So I cleaned it smell still not gone so took it to local dealer Monday, they checked it out and said ptu was fine but exhaust was coming in cab from rear of vehicle. Now they are ordering parts to fix the exhaust coming in cab problem that will cost us at least $500.00. Im not taking a chance on my kids getting sick so I guess we will pay this even tho I don't think it's going to stop the ptu smell anyone ever heard of this. By the way has 60284 miles. Don't want to turn into a money pit. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
FYI, this Forum has a very handy 'Search' feature (upper right) that can be used to find existing threads/posts. Yours has been merged with this thread. There are some others as well on "smell" issues. There are also threads on PTU issues. I don't recall reading any posts before where the PTU supposedly 'burped'.

Peter

Where can we be a part of this class action? My explorer is doing the same.

Diagnosis sounds very suspect and I believe you are wasting $500. I'd be sure to get it in writing that they will guarantee a fix for that money or it is free.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where can we be a part of this class action? My explorer is doing the same.
Have you checked out the thread on that subject? Perhaps it is mentioned in it.

Peter

Back