Strong fuel smell near gas cap sometimes during and after driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strong fuel smell near gas cap sometimes during and after driving

jimbo231

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I smell a strong fuel smell near the back driver side of my 2001 sport sometimes after driving or at a stoplight. After the car sits for a while it's gone. I don't think it's a leak as I don't see and spots on ground. Also I bought a new cap to see if that was it but it didn't help. The weird part is though is that it's only sometimes. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be vapor escaping due to a bad seal on the cap - the tank is pressurized while the engine is running, I think. (Feel free to correct me, Explorer Hive Mind)

I'd wonder if you have tank rust-through on the top, or tiny crack in rubber or rust pinhole(s) in fuel filler tube, so fumes are getting out but no leaks, but I thought a breached system would generate an OBDII error code?

It also could be your evap canister, some of those rust through and that could be what you are smelling. If your gas cap leaks you should be getting an error light coming on either in a check engine light or the fuel light being on, (that's what happened to mine when the main fill tube had a big nasty slice in it and would leak gas and not let the tank seal). Just look under your driver side rear and see if the canisters are bad.
Robert

Thanks for the replies.... ya I have a new cap and the gas cap light isn't on so I'll give the canister a check.

Please don't forget to tell us what fixed your ride.

How did your canisters look? Canister hoses all good? Top of tank rusting? Like the above statement from "SWIGIN" Please let the collective know what it was. Thank you.
Robert

Back