• Register Today It's free!

Warranty Question....

keithw1975

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Explorer ST
Friday my 2015 Explorer Sport had a check engine light come on and noticed a quiet sound from the engine, only noticeable in the cab at idle, that sounded just like the gurgling A/C drains will make, and I called to make a service appointment at the dealer, who said to bring it in on Tuesday of the following week.

This morning when I drop it off, I am told that because it is 180 miles over 36K, that I will be charged a $110 diagnostic fee. I told him that I had the problem before the 36K mark, and had even taken a picture, but he said there wasn't any wiggle room. So far I haven't signed anything, and my thinking is this will be drive train warranty covered, which I saw in the warranty manual, covers all diagnostic fees, but it made me nervous.

Another thing, is that I had the car in about a month ago because of severe slapping upon startup, that sounded like a loose timing chain, which went away after a second, but they couldn't find anything wrong that time. It has only done this a few times to this degree, but regularly has a mild slap at startup.

So to clarify my questions:

1. Should I be penalized for going out of warranty, just because they couldn't get my car in before the mileage ticked over 36K?

2. Doesn't it seem like this would be drive train related, and covered under warranty, without a diagnostic fee anyway?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think most dealers would overlook such a low excess mileage figure. You can always send a PM to FordService to see if there is anything they can do.
Since no one knows for sure what the issue is, the fact that a diagnostic fee was mentioned is probably a standard warning. If the diagnostics proves the problem to be related to the power train then the fee would likely be waived and transferred to the warranty. Bottom line is that without diagnosing the problem, no one knows exactly what it is. Kind of a 'catch 22' situation.

Peter

Got a call that it is a VCT Solenoid, or something like that. Said it controlled engine timing, and the part was 3 days out. Said I could keep driving it until the part arrived.

Would this be covered under the engine warranty, I didn't see it mentioned, or should I start pleading my case to Ford?

Would you be ok with driving it until the part comes in? The mechanic said it was fine, but if it damaged something I bet his story would change.

They don't call them stealerships for nothing!

So if timing is off, it can destroy an engine as it is injecting fuel at the wrong time. Now tuners change the timing to get more HP but who knows the effect of this bad part.

Personally I would not drive it. And yes I would think if it involves the motor which timing is, the part would be covered under the 5yr/60k power train.

Lastly only Ford can override the warranty by being 180 over. Right or wrong, they are supposed to enter the mileage when it enters the dealer, not fudge it.

Lastly, how many miles were on it when you bought it. The 36k starts at time of purchase so if it had 200 miles, you would still have 20 more to go. Just throwing that out there.

I never considered the starting mileage. They drove it down here from Nebraska, so it had a couple hundred on it when we got it. I wasn't smart enough to record it, would that mileage be on the title?

Whatever the mileage was the day you signed the paperwork is what counts. That would be listed on the title as well. It should also be listed on your purchase and sales agreement if my memory is correct.

Did you buy it out of state or did you buy it local and it was a trade with another dealership?

I never considered the starting mileage. They drove it down here from Nebraska, so it had a couple hundred on it when we got it. I wasn't smart enough to record it, would that mileage be on the title?

It should say the initial mileage somewhere on your purchase paperwork.

I will have to dig out the paperwork. We bought it local, and they had a salesman drive it down from another dealership.

I contacted Ford on Facebook, and they are having a regional manager call me to discuss it.

PM me your VIN and I will check your starting mileage in OASIS.

Friday my 2015 Explorer Sport had a check engine light come on and noticed a quiet sound from the engine, only noticeable in the cab at idle, that sounded just like the gurgling A/C drains will make, and I called to make a service appointment at the dealer, who said to bring it in on Tuesday of the following week.

This morning when I drop it off, I am told that because it is 180 miles over 36K, that I will be charged a $110 diagnostic fee. I told him that I had the problem before the 36K mark, and had even taken a picture, but he said there wasn't any wiggle room. So far I haven't signed anything, and my thinking is this will be drive train warranty covered, which I saw in the warranty manual, covers all diagnostic fees, but it made me nervous.

Another thing, is that I had the car in about a month ago because of severe slapping upon startup, that sounded like a loose timing chain, which went away after a second, but they couldn't find anything wrong that time. It has only done this a few times to this degree, but regularly has a mild slap at startup.

So to clarify my questions:

1. Should I be penalized for going out of warranty, just because they couldn't get my car in before the mileage ticked over 36K?

2. Doesn't it seem like this would be drive train related, and covered under warranty, without a diagnostic fee anyway?

I will have to dig out the paperwork. We bought it local, and they had a salesman drive it down from another dealership.

I contacted Ford on Facebook, and they are having a regional manager call me to discuss it.

Glad to see my colleagues were able to assist, keithw1975. For future reference, we're also active and able to help here on the forum. :wave:

I think most dealers would overlook such a low excess mileage figure. You can always send a PM to FordService to see if there is anything they can do.
Since no one knows for sure what the issue is, the fact that a diagnostic fee was mentioned is probably a standard warning. If the diagnostics proves the problem to be related to the power train then the fee would likely be waived and transferred to the warranty. Bottom line is that without diagnosing the problem, no one knows exactly what it is. Kind of a 'catch 22' situation.

Peter

Thanks for suggesting us, Peter! :)

Rachel

Glad to see my colleagues were able to assist, keithw1975. For future reference, we're also active and able to help here on the forum. :wave:

Thanks for suggesting us, Peter! :)

Rachel

Thank you Rachel! I will keep that in mind.

Well, it looks like I jumped the gun a little, or the dealer was convinced it wasn't powertrain related.

I received notification from Ford, that they had talked to the dealer, who assured them that it would be covered under the 5/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Now if Ford would just do bumper to bumper for 5/60K.....:D We trade cars about ever 4 years, and they usually end up with around 55K miles when we trade them.

Thank you ford for your quick response and assistance. It will be remembered.

Thank you Rachel! I will keep that in mind.
Well, it looks like I jumped the gun a little, or the dealer was convinced it wasn't powertrain related.

I received notification from Ford, that they had talked to the dealer, who assured them that it would be covered under the 5/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Now if Ford would just do bumper to bumper for 5/60K.....:D We trade cars about ever 4 years, and they usually end up with around 55K miles when we trade them.

Thank you ford for your quick response and assistance. It will be remembered.
You're very welcome, keithw1975!!

Deysha

Back