Power Liftgate Issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Liftgate Issues

Here are a few pix of the part that was ordered. Notice that the part number on the sticker of the packaging and what's printed on the strut itself is completely different. When doing a search look for what's printed on the sticker of the packaging. Ford sells it normally for $140.

Oscar

14680563_10210143826659613_8268413641526793295_n.jpg

14680678_10210143826619612_5017315945772415211_n.jpg

14702436_10210143826579611_3052557468797708134_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford seems to be updating/changing all or many of it's part numbers with the BB5Z being the latest. I've noticed it on several item I've looked up in the past few months. Thanks for posting.

Peter

Oscar, thanks for the info. I wish I could wait to order online and save some coin. Unfortunately I really need it fixed asap. The dealer ordered it and it'll be here in the AM and I plan on fixing it myself tomorrow evening. Do you think you could post those pictures and video when you get a sec? It would be a big help? We are wheels up Sunday morning. Thanks for the help brother.

Roger

OK....here is a vid I made for the fix on this. ENJOY!!

Great video. I've got something interesting to add in case anyone down the road runs across this same issue. The dealer checked and the power liftgate has 2 possible parts for the right side gas lift assembly. Like Oscar said use the part number on the bag. The number on the part is an engineering number, not a part number.

Like I said, there are 2 parts that could work:

BB5Z 78406A10B - $140
BB5Z 78406A10C - $40 (use this model number)

The only difference is that last character (B vs C)

So, the dealer was confused as to exactly which one of these I needed. My VIN showed I needed the cheaper one but when they cross referenced the engineering number on the part on my car it came back to the more expensive option. So to be safe they ordered both yesterday and they came in today.

Gwinnett Place Ford is awesome. They were so helpful. They looked at both parts and then let me examine them. None of us could see any difference in them whatsoever. They were identical. This is a very easy part to replace so they gave me the $40 part and we went out in the parking lot and put it on real quick. It took less than 3 minutes. Works perfect. No more sag, no more chimes, no more auto slamming shut.

I was prepared to pay for the $140 part but got out of there with only spending $43.67 and had it operational before leaving. Saved a ton of money and they have a new customer from now on.

I'm sure there's a reason (although I'm not sure what it is) that Ford offers that more expensive option but they even had one of the techs come out and look it over and he said it was good to go. I can't say that this will work in every circumstance but it worked in this one and might be worth giving a shot if you find yourself with this problem.

So is the engineering number the same on both parts?

My 2014 Ford Explorer is having lift gate issues. When you try to open it, it unlocks, and lifts just a little. You can hear the motor trying to lift the gate briefly. if you open it manually and click close, it will close and latch correctly. Any ideas?

Do the lift cylinders (struts) hold the door open if you manually open it? I will add, do the struts hold the door open in different positions? If they don't, chances are the lift cylinders are bad and need replacing. The motor is only an assist to the struts. The struts are gas struts like any other used for this purpose. You'll need a repair manual if there is any other problem.

Check the setting of your liftgate height. You can set the liftgate to open to any height, and yours may have been set low inadvertently. The instructions to set the liftgate height are in the owners manual:

Setting the Liftgate Open Height
1. Open the liftgate.
2. Stop the liftgate movement by pressing
the control button on the liftgate when
it reaches the desired height.
Note: Once the liftgate has stopped
moving, you can also manually move it to
the desired height.
3. Press and hold the liftgate control
button on the liftgate until you hear a
chime, indicating programming is
complete.
Note: You can only use the liftgate control
button to program the height.
Note: You cannot program the height if the
liftgate position is too low.
The new open liftgate height is recalled
when the power liftgate is opened. To
change the programmed height, repeat the
above procedure. Once you open the
power liftgate, you can manually move it
to a different height.
Note: The system recalls the new
programmed height until you reprogram it,
even if you disconnect the battery.
When operating the power liftgate after
you have programmed a lower height than
fully open, you can fully open the liftgate
by manually pushing it upward to the
maximum open position.

My 2014 Ford Explorer is having lift gate issues. When you try to open it, it unlocks, and lifts just a little. You can hear the motor trying to lift the gate briefly. if you open it manually and click close, it will close and latch correctly. Any ideas?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It would be helpful if you completed your registration by entering the "trim level" as requested. That info can be very useful in answering certain questions you may have since not all trims have the same features or possible resolutions. Thanks.
Does it do the same if you use the fob and/or the interior liftgate switch on the dash?

Peter

Check the setting of your liftgate height. You can set the liftgate to open to any height, and yours may have been set low inadvertently. The instructions to set the liftgate height are in the owners manual:

Setting the Liftgate Open Height
1. Open the liftgate.
2. Stop the liftgate movement by pressing
the control button on the liftgate when
it reaches the desired height.
Note: Once the liftgate has stopped
moving, you can also manually move it to
the desired height.
3. Press and hold the liftgate control
button on the liftgate until you hear a
chime, indicating programming is
complete.
Note: You can only use the liftgate control
button to program the height.
Note: You cannot program the height if the
liftgate position is too low.
The new open liftgate height is recalled
when the power liftgate is opened. To
change the programmed height, repeat the
above procedure. Once you open the
power liftgate, you can manually move it
to a different height.
Note: The system recalls the new
programmed height until you reprogram it,
even if you disconnect the battery.
When operating the power liftgate after
you have programmed a lower height than
fully open, you can fully open the liftgate
by manually pushing it upward to the
maximum open position.
This was the problem. Thank you very much. You are the BOMB!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It would be helpful if you completed your registration by entering the "trim level" as requested. That info can be very useful in answering certain questions you may have since not all trims have the same features or possible resolutions. Thanks.
Does it do the same if you use the fob and/or the interior liftgate switch on the dash?

Peter
I updated my profile, but this particular issue has been solved. Thanks.

OK, the position fix worked for a short while, then it reverted to the troublesome behavior. I did it again and it worked for a short while and reverted. Tried again this am, and when I went to close it, it did not do anything. So now the lift is not working at all. Won't open or close, or even try.

OK, the position fix worked for a short while, then it reverted to the troublesome behavior. I did it again and it worked for a short while and reverted. Tried again this am, and when I went to close it, it did not do anything. So now the lift is not working at all. Won't open or close, or even try.
Now that you are in this 'fix', have you tried doing the liftgate reset to see if it will at least get you back to the original issue?

Peter

I just went back out and everything works with out doing anything. So the problem is that the liftgate is erratic. It seems to always end up set to only open a little bit. You can reset it, and it will work for a short while, but then reverts to the troubled behavior. Occasionally it doesn't do anything. Concerned that if I take it to the dealer, they will start replacing parts until it works.

The 'reset' I was referring to is procedure mentioned in the Manual not the height reset. Just to be clear. The fact that it does occasionally work is the odd part that may make it difficult to track down the real problem. Good luck.

Peter

I just checked the repair manual for diagnosing your issue and there is way too many tests that can be done that have reference to your issue that can be answered to a correct degree in a forum. Basically, I'm reading that your problem is intermittent. With all the options available to open the liftgate, any one of the individual circuits that control each option and those systems that monitor could be at fault. If you haven't already, try each option to see if it operates normally in one option over another. You may be able to at least narrow which circuit(s) have more of an issue with the operation. Other than that, go see your dealer. I believe you'll end up doing that anyway.

I just checked the repair manual for diagnosing your issue and there is way too many tests that can be done that have reference to your issue that can be answered to a correct degree in a forum. Basically, I'm reading that your problem is intermittent. With all the options available to open the liftgate, any one of the individual circuits that control each option and those systems that monitor could be at fault. If you haven't already, try each option to see if it operates normally in one option over another. You may be able to at least narrow which circuit(s) have more of an issue with the operation. Other than that, go see your dealer. I believe you'll end up doing that anyway.
Thanks. I tried the reset from the manual - opening the lift and disconnecting the battery for 20 seconds - the result is the liftgate is 100% non-operational. Looks like time to go to the dealer.

My dealer diagnosed it right on.. The right side (non powered) side shock gave up. He replaced it and bingo ALL fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Occam's razor. :cool2:

Back