'96 Ranger w/4.0 4x4, Manual Trans R&R Imminent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'96 Ranger w/4.0 4x4, Manual Trans R&R Imminent

bblooz

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ranger XLT 4x4
So, 5th gear no longer works on my truck (shifter goes there, but gears just don't engage). 1-4 work fine, and reverse too. Clutch seems good, but doesn't seem realistic to pull it all apart and not replace it -LOL. So I got a trans from a 2002 Ranger (looks identical). I am planning on doing the swap next weekend. I was going to use the LUK clutch kit (disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throw out bearing & alignment tool). I heard somewhere that I may also need the gasket between the transfer case and tail end of the trans housing, any ideas on anything else I may need for this job?

I am planning on getting under the beast this weekend to spray everything down with PB Blaster, so I hopefully won't have any rust-frozen bolts when I start this little exercise. I am assuming I will have to drop the center section(s) of the exhaust, driveshaft, transfer case and cross member support and vibration damper. I am getting a CEL indicating something amiss in the fuel vapor recirc system, and gas fumes near the tank. I am guessing that one of the lines is compromised near the sending unit/pump, so also going to probably drop the gas tank to fix that while I'm under there.

Any suggestions, tips on this job (always willing to learn from someone else's experience)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

01+ ranger uses a different shifter stub, it's 180* off. Also no shifter bolt holes for manual shift.

Will I need the newer clutch if installing to my older vehicle? (clutch is dependent on the trans, not the engine)

I have pulled the transmission out of my Explorer a couple of times.I welded a couple pieces of flat strap in a V shape to a plate that I bolt to the top of my floor jack.The transmission is an oval shape and tends to fall off the jack otherwise.Also whenever I am pulling a transmission or transfer case I take a couple of ratchet tie downs and run them between the frame rails underneath as a safety net in case something happens so it can't hit the floor or me.The ratchet tie downs can also be used to hold up the back of the transmission if the crossmember is removed.A 13mm stubby wrench comes in handy as well.

There's no gasket between the TC and the trans. No fluid in there. There are seals on both sides.

Most likely you will have the most trouble getting the exhaust apart, so be prepared for that.

A 2-3 foot extension bar with a 13mm swivel socket is the best way to get to the bell-housing bolts.

Back