PTU and Rear Diff Fluid Change - 2011 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PTU and Rear Diff Fluid Change - 2011 Explorer XLT

182RG

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT / '13 Touareg TDI
** Google Drive Permissions Updated - 1/4/2023 **

All,

I finally got around to changing both the PTU and Rear Differential fluid on the Explorer.

First off, I'm not a believer in 'Lifetime' fluids, in any vehicle. At approximately 60,000 mi, I changed the Transmission fluid using a BG exchange machine via the cooler lines.

The Explorer is now at 77,000 mi. Mix of highway and around town driving. We do not tow with the vehicle. It was time to tackle the gear oil.

Unfortunately, on this model year and configuration of the Explorer, there are no drain plugs on either the PTU or Rear Diff. This means that in order to drain the old fluid, it requires using a fluid extraction pump.

It's a relatively simple process with the right tools. I would say a 3 out of 10 in this case. First, you should use a commercial grade car lift. It is much safer, and easier to get to the fill plugs.

Second, here are the supplies / tools I used:

Atlas Kwik-Bay Lift
Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear Full Synthetic - 1 Qt - for Rear Differential (could take more than 1 Qt - I was only able to extract approx. 1 Qt)
Amsoil 75W-140 Severe Gear Full Synthetic - 1 Qt - for PTU (only need approx. 1 Pt.)
3/8" Ratchet - Medium handle
MityVac MV7300 Fluid Extractor - for use with shop air.
Motive Power Fill Transfer Pump - can use with shop air.

I created a step by step guide with pictures in a PDF. The link is below.

The fluid I replaced in the Rear Differential didn't look bad at all. I probably won't change this fluid again.

The fluid I replaced in the PTU was in really, REALLY bad condition. Jet black, sludged, with an acrid, burnt smell to it. I've changed a lot of gear oil, and I've never seen anything this bad. It was on borrowed time. I plan on changing this fluid every 30,000 miles.

Google Drive

Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice ! Thanks for the info...

Great write up, especially for those that have the tools.

Great write up. Thanks for the tutorial.

All,

I finally got around to changing both the PTU and Rear Differential fluid on the Explorer.

First off, I'm not a believer in 'Lifetime' fluids, in any vehicle. At approximately 60,000 mi, I changed the Transmission fluid using a BG exchange machine via the cooler lines.

The Explorer is now at 77,000 mi. Mix of highway and around town driving. We do not tow with the vehicle. It was time to tackle the gear oil.

Unfortunately, on this model year and configuration of the Explorer, there are no drain plugs on either the PTU or Rear Diff. This means that in order to drain the old fluid, it requires using a fluid extraction pump.

It's a relatively simple process with the right tools. I would say a 3 out of 10 in this case. First, you should use a commercial grade car lift. It is much safer, and easier to get to the fill plugs.

Second, here are the supplies / tools I used:

Atlas Kwik-Bay Lift
Amsoil 75W-90 Severe Gear Full Synthetic - 1 Qt - for Rear Differential (could take more than 1 Qt - I was only able to extract approx. 1 Qt)
Amsoil 75W-140 Severe Gear Full Synthetic - 1 Qt - for PTU (only need approx. 1 Pt.)
3/8" Ratchet - Medium handle
MityVac MV7300 Fluid Extractor - for use with shop air.
Motive Power Fill Transfer Pump - can use with shop air.

I created a step by step guide with pictures in a PDF. The link is below.

The fluid I replaced in the Rear Differential didn't look bad at all. I probably won't change this fluid again.

The fluid I replaced in the PTU was in really, REALLY bad condition. Jet black, sludged, with an acrid, burnt smell to it. I've changed a lot of gear oil, and I've never seen anything this bad. It was on borrowed time. I plan on changing this fluid every 30,000 miles.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxOhJ9QKfWhJU2w1RVFKekQta00/view?usp=sharing

Good luck.

Thanks great, thank you! Quick question though. I see 1.1qts is the typically listed capacity. Do you know if this will result in a fluid fill to the fill hole (such as many differentials do)? Or is it a straight capacity spec?

Thanks great, thank you! Quick question though. I see 1.1qts is the typically listed capacity. Do you know if this will result in a fluid fill to the fill hole (such as many differentials do)? Or is it a straight capacity spec?

Buck,

I filled to the fill hole.

According to the service procedure, it's 3mm below the fill hole:

4. Remove the filler plug and fill the rear axle with 1.15 L (1.22 qt) of rear axle lubricant, 3 mm (0.1181 in) below the bottom of the filler hole. Install the filler plug.
  • Tighten to 29 Nm (21 lb-ft).

Well, went to baseline all of the oils today since we recently purchased this 2014 Explorer Sport. Motor oil went fine, as expected. The rear end oil went fine, but took a little effort with my suction gun to suck it out manually.

Anyways, found something interesting. 2014 Explorer Sport and it has a drain plug for the PTU! Of course, it does not have a fdilll plug and the little sensor which some people have said they used is completely shrouded by a metal flange/heat shield. Am I missing something here or does it seem like this will simply not be a possible fluid to change while the unit is installed?

Pic below shows the drain plug- its the hex head- as well as the metal shroud covering the sensor up top. This is shot from directly under the PTU and looking straight up.

Am I missing something here or does it seem like this will simply not be a possible fluid to change while the unit is installed?

Pic below shows the drain plug- its the hex head- as well as the metal shroud covering the sensor up top. This is shot from directly under the PTU and looking straight up.

I know this is a month or so old, but I figured I'd chime in.

It sounds like you have the same setup as my 2013 XSport. Technically, the temp sensor you see is the fill port. With the vehicle level, you would top it off until it ran out of this port. Unfortunately, as you indicated, this requires removal of some exhaust components to gain access.

Personally, I put my left front wheel up on a ramp (to tilt the vehicle toward the drain hole), and removed the drain plug. I put a longer vent tube on the PTU () and refilled (via the vent tube) with 18 oz of 75W-140 Amsoil Severe Gear fluid. I had an oil analysis from Blackstone posted somewhere on here. I plan to change it again after 15k miles and send in for another analysis.

My personal conclusion, after having a 30k mile sample analyzed at Blackstone, is that the PTU fluid is NOT a lifetime fluid (unless you assume the life expectancy of your PTU is ~60k miles ;)

I'd love to see that Blackstone report if you can dig it up...

Thanks MiWiAu. Thats exactly what I ended up doing, also! Boy was it frustrating filling through that vent tube, though.

What I actually did was first refill with Seafoam, rotated the wheels a bunch of times, drained and filled with a combo of MMO/80w90/75w140 that I had laying around before a final drain and fill with Amsoil 75w140. By the last drain and fill, I feel like it was much less contaminated. So far I haven't had any "puking" of gear oil from the vent, either.

Thanks MiWiAu. Thats exactly what I ended up doing, also! Boy was it frustrating filling through that vent tube, though.

What I actually did was first refill with Seafoam, rotated the wheels a bunch of times, drained and filled with a combo of MMO/80w90/75w140 that I had laying around before a final drain and fill with Amsoil 75w140. By the last drain and fill, I feel like it was much less contaminated. So far I haven't had any "puking" of gear oil from the vent, either.

No problem. :)

Yeah, it was painfully slow to fill via the vent tune. LOL I need to see if I can get a screw on nozzle adapter for the Amsoil container, so I can squeeze it in next time.

I did a drain and fill, drove about 40 miles, then did another drain and fill. The second drain was still very dark, but it didn't cling to the walls of the glass jar I was using near as bad as the original oil.

Talk about frustrating... one additional thing I did was add a hose clamp to the vent tune where it connects to the PTU. I was paranoid it would pull/fall off. That was a totally blind operation and probably took me 30 minutes to do.

Two things I found that might help you or others next time.

1. I used an empty Valvoline Synpower jug refilled with Amsoil to fill with. The Synpower had a screw on nozzle tip.
2. The hose I used was a 5/16in ATF/Oil cooler hose. It fit the vent nipple very well and no matter how hard I squeezed the gear oil in it stayed in place.

Man, I can't believe (yet can...) that your UOA was so awful on 30k old gear oil.

I was thinking about 60k intervals, but now I've got to run for 30. Sigh. Fluid is cheap compared to a fried PTU.

Well, went to baseline all of the oils today since we recently purchased this 2014 Explorer Sport. Motor oil went fine, as expected. The rear end oil went fine, but took a little effort with my suction gun to suck it out manually.

Anyways, found something interesting. 2014 Explorer Sport and it has a drain plug for the PTU! Of course, it does not have a fdilll plug and the little sensor which some people have said they used is completely shrouded by a metal flange/heat shield. Am I missing something here or does it seem like this will simply not be a possible fluid to change while the unit is installed?

The Ford manual states to remove the metal shroud then the sensor--I found that impossible and did the vent tube mod.

Two things I found that might help you or others next time.

1. I used an empty Valvoline Synpower jug refilled with Amsoil to fill with. The Synpower had a screw on nozzle tip.
2. The hose I used was a 5/16in ATF/Oil cooler hose. It fit the vent nipple very well and no matter how hard I squeezed the gear oil in it stayed in place.

Just be careful not to airlock the vent tube! I did and got a gear oil geyser that sprayed everywhere. No matter what anyone says, Amsoil severe gear is tenacious! It does not clean up well... Ask me how I know...

Thanks for this write-up guys, the video is really helpful. Quick question that I haven't been able to answer anywhere else:

There is a lot of conflicting information about whether PTUs do/don't have drain plugs or when Ford started adding them. Near as I can tell, it looks like the 3.5L EBs have PTUs with drain plugs, while 3.5L NA PTUs do NOT have drain plugs (which means using tapping your own or using an oil extractor for the oil change). Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true? Thanks!

Thanks for this write-up guys, the video is really helpful. Quick question that I haven't been able to answer anywhere else:

There is a lot of conflicting information about whether PTUs do/don't have drain plugs or when Ford started adding them. Near as I can tell, it looks like the 3.5L EBs have PTUs with drain plugs, while 3.5L NA PTUs do NOT have drain plugs (which means using tapping your own or using an oil extractor for the oil change). Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true? Thanks!
Just want to say "Welcome to the Forum".:wave:

Peter

Man, I can't believe (yet can...) that your UOA was so awful on 30k old gear oil.

I was thinking about 60k intervals, but now I've got to run for 30. Sigh. Fluid is cheap compared to a fried PTU.

Yeah, Blackstone said to try 10K miles next time, but I think I'll go 15K (probably end of next summer-ish) and send in another sample. Depending on how the next analysis comes back, it may just become an annual service thing.

Unfortunately, I can't confirm with certainty, but I was under the impression that FoMoCo, at some point, put drain plugs in all of the 3.5L PTU units. I've also read in some of the failed PTU threads that the new service PTUs replacing failed units are coming with the drain plug. I imagine your 2016 would have the drain plug as well. Next time you're changing your oil, you can take a peek and see if you have a plug on the passenger side of your PTU.

Someone else might be able to chime in with more certainty or some actual documentation to confirm my suspicions. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, Blackstone said to try 10K miles next time, but I think I'll go 15K (probably end of next summer-ish) and send in another sample. Depending on how the next analysis comes back, it may just become an annual service thing.

Unfortunately, I can't confirm with certainty, but I was under the impression that FoMoCo, at some point, put drain plugs in all of the 3.5L PTU units. I've also read in some of the failed PTU threads that the new service PTUs replacing failed units are coming with the drain plug. I imagine your 2016 would have the drain plug as well. Next time you're changing your oil, you can take a peek and see if you have a plug on the passenger side of your PTU.

Someone else might be able to chime in with more certainty or some actual documentation to confirm my suspicions. :)

Thanks for the welcome!

Well, that's actually what prompted the question. I was doing my first oil change on Sunday night and decided to take a look at the PTU because, hell, I'm planning on doing 10k services on it. I only saw one plug, coated in red sealant, and it looked like it was too high to be a drain plug. I'll try to take some pictures the next time I get it up on stands. I also tried looking up diagrams for replacement PTUs on fordparts.com and it looks like there are two distinct models (one for the TC engines, one for the NA engines). I can't be sure though, since the ford parts system is thoroughly confusing.

Back