List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

problem is the oxidization has to be chemically neutralized somehow, removing the hood and dipping it would be best. Just sand and painting over whats trapped deep inside the metal isn't going to solve anything, to do it right Ford needs to replace the hoods instead of performing a fix.
FYI, the TSB explains the service procedure for the dealer to use to 'repair' the issue.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this will never remove the deep oxidization, they are sandblasting the surface and trying to neutralize any left that might be imbedded deep in the hood. If your hood is pitted half way thru I would want a new hood for sure, it would also compromise the structural integrity if half the front of the hood was missing aluminum. Opening up the hood along the seams isn't an option also, any oxidization there is trapped.

This procedure is the best method for bubbles just starting to happen, anything left for long periods might reappear sooner than later when trying to repair it. :D

FYI, the TSB explains the service procedure for the dealer to use to 'repair' the issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There are quite a few members that would disagree with that statement and others that would agree. To make a blanket statement like that is one that is the result of frustration and not always based on fact. There are instances where Ford has come through even after an expired warranty. Warranties do expire and not just on automobiles. The line has to be drawn somewhere and you did have the option to buy an Extended Warranty. If you had then your issue probably would have been covered. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3544247

Peter
Lets be clear, other manufactures have stood behind their products when an obvious issue has presented itself.

I bought a new 2008 Saturn Vue, V-6 with the six speed, 6T70 transmission. A failure occurred with what is called the 3-5-R wave plate. Due to an error in heat treating this part could be brittle and randomly would fracture. GM provided an extended warranty for the transmission, eight years, 130,000 miles. Not only did they extend the warranty but it covered subsequent owners not just the original owner. I gave the Vue to my son three years ago and in June the tranny failed with 98,000 miles on it. The failure was the 3-5-R wave plate. GM rebuilt the transmission no charge and gave my son a loaner for an entire week. Not a peep, not a let me see what we can do, just fixed it and wished him well. BTW, he was out of town and ended up at a random GM dealer, not his local dealer. He drove the loaner 225 miles home and then back to pick up the car.

My 2012 Dodge Caravan I received a letter from Chrysler that they are extending the warranty on the back side head gasket. The letter stated that there have been reports of a leaking head gasket caused by a defect in the head casting. The incidence of a leak developing is very small but I have a letter to cover it just in case.

2008 Dodge Caravan, the rear air conditioning developed a leak due to corrosion on a fitting under the vehicle. Chrysler extended the warranty to 100,000 miles for the rear AC.

The 6T70 transmission with the issue was used in 2007 - 2009 Buick Enclave, Chev Traverse, Equinox & Malibu, GMC Acadia, Pontiac G6 & Torrent, Saturn Aura, Outlook & Vue. Point is it is not like GM knew that the incidence of failures would be small and not cost them a lot of $.

I have a 14 Explorer with no problems but the hood does concern me. What pisses me off is when I read that they won't honor the warranty because there is not a hole from rust through. That to me is preposterous considering the hood is aluminum. Surprised there has not been a class action lawsuit.

I think i said that. What is your chemical description for rust??
Well, the term "rust" is only applicable to iron oxide (which is a chemical description), for other metals to express "oxidation" term "corrosion" is used.

Well, the term "rust" is only applicable to iron oxide (which is a chemical description), for other metals to express "oxidation" term "corrosion" is used.

As I said originally it's oxidation altho the term corrosion fits this problem very well.

Simply put, corrosion is the natural deterioration that results when a surface reacts with its environment. Different surfaces, environments and other factors add complexity to the equation (https://www.nace.org/Corrosion-101/)

I believe this is primarily why there is paint on a car to begin with.
In the case of the Ford hood bubbling it completely failed. Consumers reasonable expectations for the paint to last and not have this type of problem has been ignored from the corporate level thru to the retail sellers, IE Dealerships, in my experience.
Hell of a way to run a business.

....... Consumers reasonable expectations for the paint to last and not have this type of problem has been ignored from the corporate level thru to the retail sellers, IE Dealerships, in my experience.
Hell of a way to run a business.
Not sure if "retail sellers" should be included in this since they can't do anything about the issue without approval from Corporate.
BTW, I have an aluminum hood on mine as well and after just over 30 months there isn't a bubble or imperfection to be seen on the lip, under the rubber strip or anywhere else on the hood.

Peter

Not sure if "retail sellers" should be included in this since they can't do anything about the issue without approval from Corporate.
BTW, I have an aluminum hood on mine as well and after just over 30 months there isn't a bubble or imperfection to be seen on the lip, under the rubber strip or anywhere else on the hood.

Peter
Peter,
wait for it, its yet to come................

BTW, it is interesting how the "all" aluminum F-150 is going to hold up. I'm going to keep an eye on it.
I totally agree it sucks to watch Ford not standing behind its products. ****ty management...
Either its hood bubbles or DCT problems on Fiesta and Focus.

I would guess they did their homework and it should last. The only thing that bothers me are those silly chevy commercials that show some Prius driving dumb dumbs:crazy: tossing boulders and hucking tool boxes into the bed saying its dented, when they have no idea what a truck is for. Umm well first of all I'm sure the people buying Chevrolets trucks just because of that fact aren't that stupid, since a bed liner can be put in. :wtf:

BTW, it is interesting how the "all" aluminum F-150 is going to hold up. I'm going to keep an eye on it.
I totally agree it sucks to watch Ford not standing behind its products. ****ty management...
Either its hood bubbles or DCT problems on Fiesta and Focus.

I would guess they did their homework and it should last. The only thing that bothers me are those silly chevy commercials that show some Prius driving dumb dumbs:crazy: tossing boulders and hucking tool boxes into the bed saying its dented, when they have no idea what a truck is for. Umm well first of all I'm sure the people buying Chevrolets trucks just because of that fact aren't that stupid, since a bed liner can be put in. :wtf:

Just saw this ridiculous ad again today trying to show how their Chevy is so much better and then at the end of it, they show over $11,000 off msrp..

Lol, I wonder why..

The other thing is why on earth you are going to drop a toolbox or whatever into your truck? I bet a few normal people would do it. Accidentally it may happen, but not from that height.
And it comes to personal preference what truck to buy no matter what commercial says...

The other thing is why on earth you are going to drop a toolbox or whatever into your truck? I bet a few normal people would do it. Accidentally it may happen, but not from that height.
And it comes to personal preference what truck to buy no matter what commercial says...

that's just what Chebby owners do, slam stuff into the box and drop boulders from several feet up, maybe get attacked by a bear while hiding in a metal cage according to the commercials? If I was planning to use my truck as a dump truck or saw a bear attacking a metal cage unrelated to really anything, I would seriously consider a Chebby I guess, but after 5 truck loads of boulders I'm sure my Chebbys box would look like swiss cheese.

Anyways :D If Fords "aluminum" trucks are still having this corrosion problem after 15 years of trial and error, I would seriously be worried though.

Besides that it is not a Ford.
That's right but I'm guessing that the aluminum hood processing/painting would be the same.

That's right but I'm guessing that the aluminum hood processing/painting would be the same.

Different Plant. Different process I would bet.
Remember in a earlier post how I found the process for Explorer painting the steel body and aluminum hood are dipped in same adherence solution. Your Hood is probably dipped separately in different solution. This was offered by Ford paint body shop manager on the Explorer anyways. Lincoln I am not certain.

I guess I will toss my hat in this ring, '14 Sport with 36,500 miles, only 2.5 years old and just found a bunch of rust spot on the front edge of the hood this Sunday.

From what I am reading, doesn't sound like there is much I can do since I am out of the 3yr/36k? Any advise? The paint has blistered apart in a couple spots...

I guess I will toss my hat in this ring, '14 Sport with 36,500 miles, only 2.5 years old and just found a bunch of rust spot on the front edge of the hood this Sunday.

From what I am reading, doesn't sound like there is much I can do since I am out of the 3yr/36k? Any advise? The paint has blistered apart in a couple spots...

Carcomplaints.com to start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having the issue reoccur is not an uncommon problem. Several posts on that here.

Peter
My 2015 Ford Explorer's hood is bubbling - just noticed it. Going to call dealership. Hopefully issue will be resolved!

Back