2011 Explorer XLT - 3.5L V6 TIVCT Engine - Misfire - P0201, P0301, P0316 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer XLT - 3.5L V6 TIVCT Engine - Misfire - P0201, P0301, P0316

In many cases there is a set time established for certain procedures and they go by that for the amount they charge.

Peter

Thanks Peter - I was going on what FordTechMakuloco stated in his YouTube video as to it only being charged as a 1/2 hour job.
As you know (or I think you do), he's a Ford Dealer technician/mechanic with quite a few good video's he's made directly at his work location while he's doing repairs - showing others how they do them in the garage, per the manufacturer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Call automation and give them your VIN. They sell 10% above cost to forum members.

I doubt a refresh will help, I don't believe something like that goes bad rather it is a wiring issue or PCM itself. Seems you have had it narrowed down to 1 of the 2.

Most dealers charge 1 hour minimum labor for diagnosis.. by the time the tech gets the car, pulls it in, hooks it uo, starts their procedures, finishes, gets it out of the bay and back up front... a half hour is not reasonable to be profitable imo.

Quick and "hopefully" final update...Just got the vehicle back from the dealer tonight.

They found a short to ground inside the PCM, causing injector #1 to stay energized. They replaced the PCM. They also replaced the injector too...even though I had swapped them a couple of times with other cylinders.

Further, they also stated as part of their diagnostic check:

Checked power and ground to connector C181, found good power and ground with just key on when should be NO ground until running.

I don't know if this info will help anyone in the future here but who knows...I'm still concerned as to why there was a short in the PCM after 5 years.

The best part of all...was that all of the work and parts were covered under the 5-year, 100K Powertrain portion of my warranty.

One last thing...does anyone know how to turn song titles back on, on the radio? They were there before but now seem to be gone. None of the radio stations were erased, nor was the key code you push on the outside door to unlock the doors were affected...Does the PCM have anything to do with the radio? I guess not, as all of that is in the head unit???

Glad to read that they found and fixed the problem and that it was covered under warranty. As for the radio issue, I don't know if there actually is a setting for that. I have titles and artists displayed on mine but never went through any settings to get that feature. The Manual mentions "RDS Text Display allows you to view the information broadcast by FM stations." Not sure if that is the feature that we're talking about but there is no mention of a setting.
You may be better off posting that question in the IVT sub forum.

Peter

Glad to read that they found and fixed the problem and that it was covered under warranty. As for the radio issue, I don't know if there actually is a setting for that. I have titles and artists displayed on mine but never went through any settings to get that feature. The Manual mentions "RDS Text Display allows you to view the information broadcast by FM stations." Not sure if that is the feature that we're talking about but there is no mention of a setting.
You may be better off posting that question in the IVT sub forum.

Peter

Peter, "RDS Text Display" was exactly what I was asking about - Thanks!

...I did a search on that term and found a thread that helped me find the option to turn it back on: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ay-not-showing-up-on-mft.329549/#post-2813509

Glad to hear it was finally resolved. Just wanted to clarify your power train warranty is 5yr/60k, not 100k.

Glad to hear it was finally resolved. Just wanted to clarify your power train warranty is 5yr/60k, not 100k.

blwnsmoke,
I'm still confused on that (100k vs. 60k) point based upon my reading of the 2011 Ford Warranty Booklet.
Granted, the 5yr/60k area talks about a vehicle's powertrain components but does not acutally list the Powertrain Control Module under it.

Only later on, under the section that appears to discuss the Diesel Engine is the actual word "Powertrain Control Module" mentioned - and that is under the part that talks about 5yr/100k coverage.

Extended warranty coverage periods are available for certain vehicle parts and conditions. Specifically,

(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads, electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;

Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, propeller shafts, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.

(2) Your vehicle’s safety belts and air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) are covered for an extended Safety Restraint Coverage Period, which lasts for five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

(3) Your vehicle’s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty − our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

(4) Your vehicle’s direct injection diesel engine and certain engine components are covered during the PowerStroke Diesel Engine Coverage Period, which lasts for five years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The following parts are covered during this extended coverage period: the engine, cylinder block, heads and all internal parts, intake and exhaust manifolds, timing gear, harmonic balancer, valve covers, oil pan and pump, water pump, fuel system (excluding fuel lines, fuel tank and frame mounted fuel conditioning module sometimes referred to as the frame mounted pump/filter/water separator), high pressure lines, gaskets and seals, glow plugs, turbocharger, two-stage turbocharger assembly, turbocharger actuator, powertrain control module, engine control module, high pressure fuel injection pump assembly, electronic driver unit, injectors, injection pressure sensor, fuel rail pressure sensor, high pressure oil regulator, exhaust back pressure regulator and sensor, exhaust pressure sensor, manifold pressure sensor, intake air temperature sensor, crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, accelerator switch.

NOTE: Some components may also be covered by the Emissions Warranties.

I'm at ~45k miles and just over the 5 years - and frankly at this point, I'm just happy that this did not cost me anything other than my time tearing down the upper intake manifold myself (which I enjoyed BTW!) and the $125 for the initial diagnostics from the first garage. I hope others don't run into this issue and that mine is a one-off - it would be a PITA to troubleshoot without the right gear to get into the PCM - which most of us don't have.

I assume you are correct though - it is probably 5yr/60k coverage on the PCM for gasoline powered engines.

blwnsmoke,
I'm still confused on that (100k vs. 60k) point based upon my reading of the 2011 Ford Warranty Booklet.
Seems quite clear to me. It shows 5/60,000 for Powertrain. Up here that would be 5/100,000km.

Peter

blwnsmoke,
Granted, the 5yr/60k area talks about a vehicle's powertrain components but does not acutally list the Powertrain Control Module under it.

Only later on, under the section that appears to discuss the Diesel Engine is the actual word "Powertrain Control Module" mentioned - and that is under the part that talks about 5yr/100k coverage.

I'm at ~45k miles and just over the 5 years - and frankly at this point, I'm just happy that this did not cost me anything other than my time tearing down the upper intake manifold myself (which I enjoyed BTW!) and the $125 for the initial diagnostics from the first garage. I hope others don't run into this issue and that mine is a one-off - it would be a PITA to troubleshoot without the right gear to get into the PCM - which most of us don't have.

I assume you are correct though - it is probably 5yr/60k coverage on the PCM for gasoline powered engines.

Only Diesel's as you stated (I am on my 2nd) have a 5yr/100k mile warranty on the powertrain. And to be specific, the diesel motor is only covered for 5yr/100k with the tranny being covered for 5yr/60k. So on a gas motor, the powertrain is considered both motor and tranny and on the diesel the powertrain is considered the motor only.

Yours is the first I believe to have a failed PCM... if not, there might have been 1 other but it wasn't due to a stuck injector. I personally believe this to be a one off failure and chock it up to it being a computer and computers due fail all the time lol.

Hello to all,
My '11 Explorer with 130K miles has developed a misfire under heavy load. I get a P0306 code, Cylinder #6 intermittent misfire. Which is Cylinder 6? I'm hoping it's the front cylinder on the drivers side, because I don't want to remove the intake manifold to get to that coil or plug! So how do the cylinders count?
Thanks!
-Steve-

Hello to all,
My '11 Explorer with 130K miles has developed a misfire under heavy load. I get a P0306 code, Cylinder #6 intermittent misfire. Which is Cylinder 6? I'm hoping it's the front cylinder on the drivers side, because I don't want to remove the intake manifold to get to that coil or plug! So how do the cylinders count?
Thanks!
-Steve-
Found this thread using the 'Search' feature and merged yours with it.

Peter

Quick and "hopefully" final update...Just got the vehicle back from the dealer tonight.

They found a short to ground inside the PCM, causing injector #1 to stay energized. They replaced the PCM. They also replaced the injector too...even though I had swapped them a couple of times with other cylinders.

Further, they also stated as part of their diagnostic check:

I don't know if this info will help anyone in the future here but who knows...I'm still concerned as to why there was a short in the PCM after 5 years.
That is a burnt out injector driver transistor in the PCM. Some older fords had pattern failures(Mid 90s T-birds) and even then it wasn't something that happens to every unit. Sometimes it is just random failure.

My 15 sport is suffering from the same symptoms, flashing CEl, no power, running rough, fuel smell in cabin, white smoke at exhaust. The dealer is replacing a fuel injector and o rings. I wonder if it's a short instead. I'll find out next week.

My 15 sport is suffering from the same symptoms, flashing CEl, no power, running rough, fuel smell in cabin, white smoke at exhaust. The dealer is replacing a fuel injector and o rings. I wonder if it's a short instead. I'll find out next week.

What was the diagnosis from the dealer on your issue? I'm curious to know if it was a bad PCM.

My #6 fuel injector was stuck open, they replaced it as well as the o rings on that side of the rail.

Our 2011 just started doing this, under heavy acceleration 3800ish RPM and above. Check engine light finally stayed on so I could pull the codes, P0300, P0305, P0306. Started a few weeks ago, seemed to have went away, but now is back and reproducible. Car just turned 90K, wondering is I should replace the the plugs first, or just bite the bullet and take it in to have the PCM checked. My though is, the plugs are due soon anyway, so might as well replace those first. Doubt the PCM is under warranty, or is it covered to 100K. I did buy this as a certified preowned, if that matters.

Without looking it up, I believe it would be covered since the PCM is Co soldered power train and power train is 7yr/100k on certified preown.

Don't even mess with it then, just take it in and let them tell you.

Ok, my answer annoyed me so I had to look it up. PCM module is not covered. Only items in bold are power train warranty.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vs7F1lSzugsDf3n0w&sig2=HYbkf-8oCLVOO3WwUviQjw

Don't forget the standard 8 year, 80k miles emissions related warranty. PCM falls into this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Made an appointment for Monday with a dealer down the road. Would have liked to have taken to the purchasing dealer, but they couldn't get me in till the 5th. Seems like, if it is the PCM, I'm boned. The explorer is past both the 6yr/60K on time and mileage, and the 8yr/80K on mileage. It has 90554 miles on it now. Dose not give me great confidence in the Ford brand with this car not making it to 100K before having problems like this. But, I guess I'll have to reserve that judgement for Monday. I'm considering a new F150 in the spring, but with the major issues my neighbor just went though with his 2014, and now my Ford also having potentially serious issues, I may have to reconsider that.

Back