Cannot update MFT 2.11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cannot update MFT 2.11

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I recently bought a 2012 Explorer Limited. I am in Canada. I registered it on the Ford website, and it says my current version is 2.11. I'd like to upate this...I had a conversation on this forum with the Ford IVT team who told me that it was not possible for me to update from this version manually, I would have to take it to a dealer.

I had the car in to the dealer anyway for some fixes that needed to be done under their 2 month warranty for a used vehicle. They told me that updating the software was not covered, and they would charge me $150 CAD. They said unless there was a 'genuine concern' (like the screen going blank) then it would not be free.

The IVT team tell me this should be free until 11/12/2016...I just want to update the software...is there any way I can manually update from 2.11 to 3.8?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently bought a 2012 Explorer Limited. I am in Canada. I registered it on the Ford website, and it says my current version is 2.11. I'd like to upate this...I had a conversation on this forum with the Ford IVT team who told me that it was not possible for me to update from this version manually, I would have to take it to a dealer.

I had the car in to the dealer anyway for some fixes that needed to be done under their 2 month warranty for a used vehicle. They told me that updating the software was not covered, and they would charge me $150 CAD. They said unless there was a 'genuine concern' (like the screen going blank) then it would not be free.

The IVT team tell me this should be free until 11/12/2016...I just want to update the software...is there any way I can manually update from 2.11 to 3.8?

Hey magicaltrevor70,

jmr061 is correct about the 12M02 coverage. This extended warranty covers the APIM replacement, as well as, software updates. Since the update is dealer install only, you can advise them that you spoke with the IVT team and confirmed the update is covered.

Cara

It does...However, seems to pertain only to the US? No mention of Canada...

Last updated 10/29/2016
We found the following field service action listed on your vehicle.

• VIN: 1FMHK8F8X********
  • FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD MYLINCOLN TOUCH WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE APIM
  • Field Service Action Number: 12M02

Be advised that this system tracks Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. The information provided is subject to change and update. There may be temporary delays in update of information on this site due to a number of factors. For the latest information regarding the status of your vehicle or any recall program of Ford Motor Company, please contact your local dealership directly or the Customer Relationship Center.

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles.

Updates are free regardless of whether you live here or in the U.S. So is the extended warranty on the APIM.

Peter

If you're not having issues with 2.11 and don't have an iPhone I'd stay with it. You'll lose some functionality when you upgrade. Can't remember specifically it's been to many years since 2.11. I know it's been discussed on the forums a few years back.

It does...However, seems to pertain only to the US? No mention of Canada...

Last updated 10/29/2016
We found the following field service action listed on your vehicle.

• VIN: 1FMHK8F8X********
  • FSA Title: SYNC WITH MYFORD MYLINCOLN TOUCH WARRANTY EXTENSION COVERING ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE APIM
  • Field Service Action Number: 12M02

Be advised that this system tracks Recalls and Customer Satisfaction Programs for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. The information provided is subject to change and update. There may be temporary delays in update of information on this site due to a number of factors. For the latest information regarding the status of your vehicle or any recall program of Ford Motor Company, please contact your local dealership directly or the Customer Relationship Center.

A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles.

magicaltrevor70,

This warranty pertains to US and Canadian vehicles. I looked up your VIN, and you indeed have 12M02 until 11/12/2016. I suggest going to another dealer if your current on is giving you issues.

Shaay

Thanks Shaay...it is booked in on Monday at my local dealer. Thanks to everyone on the thread for the help.

Finally updated! My local dealer took some convincing...like the dealer where I bought the car, they insisted that there be a fault before they could upgrade. I showed them that there was a problem with charging my phone over USB (continually popping up with a message stating that the device was not compatible), and now it's updated...thanks everyone.

One question...will the dealer update syncmyride.com? It currently states that I am still on 2.11

One question...will the dealer update syncmyride.com? It currently states that I am still on 2.11
You can do it yourself as well. Members say that running a Vehicle Health Report will update it. If that doesn't do it, there are instructions as to how you can report a successful update on syncmyride.

Peter

As I am in Canada I cannot run a Vehicle Health report. The only instructions I can find say I need the USB stick that was used to update the MFT, which I don't have, the dealer has it.

As I am in Canada I cannot run a Vehicle Health report. The only instructions I can find say I need the USB stick that was used to update the MFT, which I don't have, the dealer has it.
Didn't realize you were 'up here'.:) Try sending a PM to the Ford IVT team. It seems that they sent me or directed me to instructions that put a file on a USB drive so that I could get the info from the vehicle. You can use this link to contact them;
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordIVTteam

Peter

That link gives me this:

System error
Sorry, we are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again later or contact us.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back