Explorer feels extremely unsafe on slick roads | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer feels extremely unsafe on slick roads

Royy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT V8
We had the first real snowfall of the season today, and driving my car gave me a pretty big scare...

I have an '03 Explorer XLT 4.6. The tires are almost brand new, they have less than 3,000 miles on them. Still, I could just feel the car sliding all over the road, even at slow speeds (20-30 mph). Manually putting it in 4x4 high (instead of 4x4 auto) didn't make a difference. I had trouble simply staying in my lane even at those slow speeds. And the roads weren't even that bad. Meanwhile, old sedans just drive by me doing 60+ mph without any issues.

Last winter I also noticed the vehicle had a tendency to slide a lot. However, at the time it had pretty bad tires on it, so I assumed that's what was causing the issues.

I recently replaced all inner and outer tie rods (front and back), all ball joints, and all sway bar links. As far as I know, the suspension and steering system is totally fine. I notice no issues whatsoever on dry roads.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Overinflated tires? That would reduce the size of the contact area...

Are you positive the 4 wheel drive is engaging?

What tires? In snow driving, a 2WD sedan with studded snow tires will blow away most 4X4s running all season tires.

I hvanet owned many 4x4 but have owned a ttb 4×4 bronco Ii. The 3rd Gen Explorer erst surprise me how well they do in every comdition as long as their running. I'm even impressed with the awd system on my 04 but definitely preferred the auto4x4 on my 02

The tires are Cooper Discoverer M+S winter tires, so that shouldn't be the issue. Tire pressure is fine, and the 4WD is engaging as well.
I had an alignment done less than two months ago, after I installed all the new suspension components.

Everywhere online I read about how great the Explorer is in winter conditions, which is one of the reasons why this is confusing me so much.
It does great in deep snow. 2+ feet deep snow drifts are no issue whatsoever, it goes right through, even with the bad tires I had on it last year. But a couple of slick spots on the road, and it just starts sliding all over.

The tires are Cooper Discoverer M+S winter tires, so that shouldn't be the issue. Tire pressure is fine, and the 4WD is engaging as well.
I had an alignment done less than two months ago, after I installed all the new suspension components.

Everywhere online I read about how great the Explorer is in winter conditions, which is one of the reasons why this is confusing me so much.
It does great in deep snow. 2+ feet deep snow drifts are no issue whatsoever, it goes right through, even with the bad tires I had on it last year. But a couple of slick spots on the road, and it just starts sliding all over.

Well if it's ice and not snow then duh. You need to get studded tires.

What is the tire pressure your running? I suggest 30-34 psi at most.

I've been running Cooper Discoverer AT3 since March of this year (at 35 lbs suggested by the tire shop) and I have seen no problems with them or the vehicle.

What is the tire pressure your running? I suggest 30-34 psi at most.

No needs to be 35 all the way around. Minimum factory recommended per the fuel flap sticker is 35 rear and 32 front.

No needs to be 35 all the way around. Minimum factory recommended per the fuel flap sticker is 35 rear and 32 front.

Yes for normal driving conditions you want 35psi. If your in a place where your concern is traction > fuel milage you want to lower your your pressure. This widens your "footprint" thus providing better traction.

I run 28-30psi year round in my wifes 04 Explorer with LT265/75r16 tires. It's too damn firm of a ride with over 30psi in the tires. Luckily her model doesn't have tpms to deal with.

you said that you replaced the ball joints. did you replace just the ball joints, or the control arms as well?

They aren't intended to be serviceable parts - at least the rear control arms are aluminum and risk cracking or loosening if you try to press new ball joints in.

I run 28-30psi year round in my wifes 04 Explorer with LT265/75r16 tires. It's too damn firm of a ride with over 30psi in the tires. Luckily her model doesn't have tpms to deal with.

That's way too low especially for LT tires which are supposed to have higher pressure than P tires. If the ride is too firm invest in airbag suspension or buy a different vehicle.

That's way too low especially for LT tires which are supposed to have higher pressure than P tires. If the ride is too firm invest in airbag suspension or buy a different vehicle.

I am speaking from my past experience in traction vs fuel milage vs ride. You must be a read the label kind a guy. There is no reason LT tires MUST have higher pressure than normal tires, they just have a higner MAX pressure.

I think a lot of us are running P tires, not LT.

Common knowledge up here in the midwest is to reduce PSI on snow by about 5-10%

I think a lot of us are running P tires, not LT.

Common knowledge up here in the midwest is to reduce PSI on snow by about 5-10%

Probably around 95% if not 98% of Explorers have "P" tires on them, there are very few "LT" tires available in the common standard explorer size. Last time I looked DiscountTire only had 2 or 3 to choose from in LT. I'd only recommend LT of you do a lot of off roading especially on a lot of rocks or if you're constantly filling your explorer to it's weight capacity.

If snow is bad enough to warrant lowering pressure I wouldn't bother and would just throw on chains and drive though it like a bulldozer.

Anyone running a slightly larger tire than stock on 16" wheels will almost always be on an LT tire just fyi. Most all "all terrain" or mud tires over 30" tall for 16" wheels come load range rated which makes them an LT (light truck) tire. They can be load C , D or E depending on tire brand and model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My explorer is doing the same stuff? 2015 xlt I bought used last summer and I just changed to winter tires .The rear sways on any slippery surface.

Back