Seat memory issues | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat memory issues

This has happened to me on the odd occasion and pulling the negative battery cable or cycling all 3 memory seats and reprogramming them again solves it.
Only caution I have about cycling the memory, is for some reason, #3 goes all the way up and steering comes all the way down (nearly crushing me) and I've never programmed it that way.LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only caution I have about cycling the memory, is for some reason, #3 goes all the way up and steering comes all the way down (nearly crushing me) and I've never programmed it that way.LOL

Oh man, I've had this happen to me a couple times. My wife and daughter were very amused.

Could it have anything to do with the easy entry/exit feature. Early models of the 16 have to have the seat module reprogrammed to make that operate correctly.

Is there a TSB for this? It sounds exactly like the symptom we are having in our 2016 Sport. I don't believe it is related to the fob/memory linking but rather to the easy exit feature. To re-state the problem, seat memory and fob linking work fine for both fobs and I have linked and un-linked them. The problem is when we have easy exit enabled, the seat moves back and the steering wheel raises at shutdown. At startup, the steering wheel lowers but the seat either does not return all the way or doesn't return at all. This directly contradicts what the manual describes should happen:

Easy Entry and Exit Feature

If you enable the easy entry and exit feature, it automatically moves the driver seat position rearward up to two inches (five centimeters) when you switch the ignition off.

The driver seat returns to the previous position when you switch the ignition on.
This is absolutely not working and I've tried everything - 3 trips to the dealer, linking and un-linking fobs, pulling the battery, etc. Nada. It's driving my wife nuts and she's paying it forward...

There is no TSB on this issue. It also doesn't appear to be a widespread problem.

Peter

There is no TSB on this issue. It also doesn't appear to be a widespread problem.

Peter

Thanks. How does one go about getting the modules reprogrammed? Is this documented anywhere? Not sure if my dealer did it, but I'm reasonably sure they *replaced* the module....

Thanks. How does one go about getting the modules reprogrammed? Is this documented anywhere? Not sure if my dealer did it, but I'm reasonably sure they *replaced* the module....
As far as I know, this has to be done by the dealer.

Is there a TSB for this? It sounds exactly like the symptom we are having in our 2016 Sport. I don't believe it is related to the fob/memory linking but rather to the easy exit feature. To re-state the problem, seat memory and fob linking work fine for both fobs and I have linked and un-linked them. The problem is when we have easy exit enabled, the seat moves back and the steering wheel raises at shutdown. At startup, the steering wheel lowers but the seat either does not return all the way or doesn't return at all. This directly contradicts what the manual describes should happen:

Easy Entry and Exit Feature

If you enable the easy entry and exit feature, it automatically moves the driver seat position rearward up to two inches (five centimeters) when you switch the ignition off.

The driver seat returns to the previous position when you switch the ignition on.
This is absolutely not working and I've tried everything - 3 trips to the dealer, linking and un-linking fobs, pulling the battery, etc. Nada. It's driving my wife nuts and she's paying it forward...
Hello breddy,

Let’s get this escalated for you. Please, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

Hi all.

Got our 2016 Sport back from its 4th trip to the dealer for this issue. After a convo with Ford customer service, we tried a different dealership. This one nailed it on the first try. There is a TSB that covers this issue and it is in fact solved by re-programming the seat memory modules. If you want to have a dealer look it up, it's TSB 16-0090 INCORRECT MEMORY SEAT OPERATION AND/OR EASY ENTRY/EXIT SEAT OPERATION - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/11/2016.

The exact symptom we had was that the seat would not return all the way back to its memory position when starting the car. The steering wheel would come back down and the seat would go fwd maybe half and inch. Only when we held the right memory button down would it go back where it belonged.

We had the first dealer argue with us and tell us this was how it was supposed to work. LOL

Anyway we're all good now and I hope you all can get some joy if this minor but annoying "feature" plagues you.

KailaRN, what is the memory issue you are having?

I have a '16 Explorer LTD and for the last week or so, the seat doesn't slide back in to the last position it was in when I start it. The steering column adjusts, but not the seat. And when I turn it off, both the seat and the column go up and back respectively. The seat just doesn't go back in anymore upon starting. I have to press the memory setting to get the seat to go back out. Not a major issue, by any means, but I know what it is supposed to do.

Welcome to the Forum kjwaldo79.:wave:
Please add the trim level (Limited) to your profile so it appears in the margin when you post. That info can be helpful at times. Thanks.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum kjwaldo79.:wave:
Please add the trim level (Limited) to your profile so it appears in the margin when you post. That info can be helpful at times. Thanks.

Peter

Thanks, Peter, will do.

Kris

I have a '16 Explorer LTD and for the last week or so, the seat doesn't slide back in to the last position it was in when I start it. The steering column adjusts, but not the seat. And when I turn it off, both the seat and the column go up and back respectively. The seat just doesn't go back in anymore upon starting. I have to press the memory setting to get the seat to go back out. Not a major issue, by any means, but I know what it is supposed to do.

You either disconnect the negative cable or cycle through all of your seat postions and reprogram the one you want with the keyfob again.
Both methods has worked for me.

Sadly I am still having the issue. Every now and then it starts working normal for a few day. Ironically almost every time I take it through the car wash. I need to get it in to the dealer and have them check it out. I have tried all the self fixes above and nothing works for me. My seat will not go into the memory position when starting the car. I have to push the memory button to get the seat to move. Every now and then, it will not go back and the steering wheel doesn't go up for the easy exit either.

So glad to find this post, as my 2016 Explorer Sport just started having the same seat memory issues and it's driving me nuts! Was working fine until last week, but now it won't reset to the last position after the easy-exit. I also can't program the fobs to a seat memory position (will assume it's related). Even did a factory reset, but it didn't help. Noted the TSB and planning to call the dealer tomorrow! Thanks!

So glad to find this post, as my 2016 Explorer Sport just started having the same seat memory issues and it's driving me nuts! Was working fine until last week, but now it won't reset to the last position after the easy-exit. I also can't program the fobs to a seat memory position (will assume it's related). Even did a factory reset, but it didn't help. Noted the TSB and planning to call the dealer tomorrow! Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Let us know how it goes with the dealer. The Easy Exit feature is the first thing I've turned OFF in my last 3 vehicles. Although it can be a useful feature, I really have no use for it. Not sure what you meant by "factory reset". Did you mean Master Reset or negative battery cable disconnect? Good luck.

Peter

My 2016 Sport is now exhibiting this issue. Easy entry is enabled and it moves the seat back 2 inches when I turn the engine off but it does not return to the seating position when I start the vehicle. It did until yesterday. To the dealer I go.

It is funny, but after doing the 30,000 miles service at the dealer, my EX has this problem :mad:. Just wondering what happened.... I took note of the TSB. Thanks!

Hello,

I just got a 2016 Platinum, and have seat memory slot one programmed correctly. Every time I get in the car the seat moves to a different position, one that is way to close for me at 6'2. I then have to hit the memory 1 button and it moves back to where it should be.

Where can I adjust this? I cant find any info on it anywhere.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

You could try removing one battery cable for 30 seconds. Then you have to reset everything.:(
I see you live in up state NY. I drove for Wal Mart out of Marcy NY.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you reset the fob to your new seat position?

Back