2013 Ford Explorer Limited Fuel Leak | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Limited Fuel Leak

Just got my '13 done yesterday...actually took it out to the dealer on Tuesday morning. They said it would be done that same day, but called late in the day and said they had found a defective "lock ring", or something like that, and it had to be ordered from NY but would be in on Wednesday morning. They called about noon yesterday saying it was done and I picked it up in the afternoon. I gathered from the service mgr. that the tech bent the ring during the repair, so they had to replace it. But, so far, so good. I had no smell before the fix, and still don't have one, so I guess I'm good to go. Took 3-4 days to get the part in.

Also had it serviced there as it was just over 5K. Bill for that came to $46.95,with a $20 coupon, whatever that means. The dealer that fixed the car is not the same dealer I bought the car from...service at the original dealer is $39.95, but I was already there so I had it done. At the risk of derailing, what is the going rate for service where you are??

Bob Allen
Seaford, De
There is already a thread that discusses this;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375289&highlight=oil+change

To keep this thread on track, any member wishing to supply a cost figure, please do so using the link I provided to the thread. Thank you.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also have gas smell

We started smelling gas in our 2013 Explorer a couple months ago but it was random not regular so we thought it might not be the vehicle. We took it to a dealer in PA when we were visiting there and they didn't know anything about a problem. They looked up the VIN and it didn't show a recall but they looked at the manufacture date and they said it was included. When we got home we called our dealer and they said they had done the recall repair in the fall - about the time we started smelling gas. We're not sure what the next step would be but at least we know other people are having the same problem so we're not imagining it.

Welcome to the Forum mendonmom.:wavey:
If you're smelling gas and it started after the dealer did the recall, I sure would take it back to them. I would also suggest contacting Crystal (FordService) who is the Rep that monitors this forum. You can send her a Private Message (PM) using t his link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

I recall reading something about it not being uncommon that dealers messed up the recall and put things back together wrong and ford actually had to put out a video of how to do it. Could be the issue.

...When we got home we called our dealer and they said they had done the recall repair in the fall - about the time we started smelling gas...

Thanks for the PM, mendonmom; my response is waiting for you in your inbox. :thumbsup:

Crystal

sorry to revive a old thread but i started noticing a fuel smell about a week ago. Also tonight when i was filling up i noticed the sudden appearance of fluid on the rear passenger plastic mud flap. The mud flap now smells like fuel. I was under the car and it definitely wreaks of fuel but there is no visible sign of a leak. My car was manufacturer on 10/23/2012. I do not see anything on the carfax that would indicate the recall was performed and there is no outstanding recall related to the vehicle. Given the dates of the recall would mine be repaired as part of it this late in the game?

The
sorry to revive a old thread but i started noticing a fuel smell about a week ago. Also tonight when i was filling up i noticed the sudden appearance of fluid on the rear passenger plastic mud flap. The mud flap now smells like fuel. I was under the car and it definitely wreaks of fuel but there is no visible sign of a leak. My car was manufacturer on 10/23/2012. I do not see anything on the carfax that would indicate the recall was performed and there is no outstanding recall related to the vehicle. Given the dates of the recall would mine be repaired as part of it this late in the game?
Did the fluid appear on the splash guard as you were still filling up or was it already there? Is it possible that it was from overflow? If not, then I would guess that you do have a leak in the system, likely in the filler neck since a leak in the tank or pump probably would not account for gas on the splash guard.

Peter

The

Did the fluid appear on the splash guard as you were still filling up or was it already there? Is it possible that it was from overflow? If not, then I would guess that you do have a leak in the system, likely in the filler neck since a leak in the tank or pump probably would not account for gas on the splash guard.

Peter
I found the original dealer that serviced the car and they noted that they performed the fuel leak recall on the car back in 2013 so that is likely out of the picture seeing as it just started happening. The fuel smell is only noticeable during and approximately 2-5 hours after filing up the car. As the pump reached the automatic shutoff i watched as some fluid started to appear on the mudflap along with a extremely potent smell of gas. It was bad enough that the guy that was filing up next to me asked if i spilled some on the concrete.

I agree that the leak is likely in the filler neck given when the fluid started to appear on the guard and the fact that the smell is only around during fill up.

Have you ever tried filling the car with a portable gas can or aftermarket funnel? Below is out of the manual for my 2012 EX:

Refilling with a portable fuel container

With the Easy Fuel “no cap” fuel system, use the following directions
when filling from a portable fuel container:

WARNING: Do not insert the nozzle of portable fuel containers
or aftermarket funnels into the Easy Fuel system. This could
damage the fuel system and its seal, and may cause fuel to run onto
the ground instead of filling the tank, which could result in serious
personal injury.

WARNING: Do not try to pry open or push open the Easy Fuel
system with foreign objects. This could damage the fuel system
and its seal and cause injury to you or others.
When filling the vehicle’s fuel tank from a portable fuel container, use the
included funnel.

1. Locate the white plastic funnel. It
is attached to the underside of the
spare tire cover or is included with
the tire changing tools.

2. Slowly insert the funnel into the Easy Fuel system.

3. Fill the vehicle with fuel from the portable fuel container.

4. When done, clean the funnel or properly dispose of it. Extra funnels
can be purchased from your authorized dealer if you choose to dispose
of the funnel. Do not use aftermarket funnels; they will not work with
the Easy Fuel system and can damage it. The included funnel has been
specially designed to work safely with your vehicle.

Have you ever tried filling the car with a portable gas can or aftermarket funnel? Below is out of the manual for my 2012 EX:

Refilling with a portable fuel container

With the Easy Fuel “no cap” fuel system, use the following directions
when filling from a portable fuel container:

WARNING: Do not insert the nozzle of portable fuel containers
or aftermarket funnels into the Easy Fuel system. This could
damage the fuel system and its seal, and may cause fuel to run onto
the ground instead of filling the tank, which could result in serious
personal injury.

WARNING: Do not try to pry open or push open the Easy Fuel
system with foreign objects. This could damage the fuel system
and its seal and cause injury to you or others.
When filling the vehicle’s fuel tank from a portable fuel container, use the
included funnel.

1. Locate the white plastic funnel. It
is attached to the underside of the
spare tire cover or is included with
the tire changing tools.

2. Slowly insert the funnel into the Easy Fuel system.

3. Fill the vehicle with fuel from the portable fuel container.

4. When done, clean the funnel or properly dispose of it. Extra funnels
can be purchased from your authorized dealer if you choose to dispose
of the funnel. Do not use aftermarket funnels; they will not work with
the Easy Fuel system and can damage it. The included funnel has been
specially designed to work safely with your vehicle.

I have never filled the car up with a portable fuel container. Only been filled up with the standard pumps. The problem started last week which would indicate that something has failed in the filler system.

I have never filled the car up with a portable fuel container. Only been filled up with the standard pumps. The problem started last week which would indicate that something has failed in the filler system.
It would seem from your previous post that the fuel appears to be running down the overflow tube. Are you leaving the fuel nozzle fully inserted until the first auto shut-off?
I let it shut off once, wait 10 seconds or so, and then fill with the nozzle fully inserted and full trigger until the shut-off clicks in again. Have never had any overflow issue.
I also don't start to let up on the nozzle trigger as the tank starts to get near full since I sometimes wonder of the auto shut-off sensitivity might not always be the same on all pumps.

Peter

It would seem from your previous post that the fuel appears to be running down the overflow tube. Are you leaving the fuel nozzle fully inserted until the first auto shut-off?
I let it shut off once, wait 10 seconds or so, and then fill with the nozzle fully inserted and full trigger until the shut-off clicks in again. Have never had any overflow issue.
I also don't start to let up on the nozzle trigger as the tank starts to get near full since I sometimes wonder of the auto shut-off sensitivity might not always be the same on all pumps.

Peter

i insert the pump, let it run until it shuts off, let it sit for 10 seconds then give it a couple of shakes and call it a day. Been doing this since i owned the car. i will see if it does it again next week when i fill the car up again.

i insert the pump, let it run until it shuts off, let it sit for 10 seconds then give it a couple of shakes and call it a day. Been doing this since i owned the car. i will see if it does it again next week when i fill the car up again.
That in itself should not cause an overflow. Interesting to see if happens again next time.

Peter

Back